Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghevist

Durwyn

Prophet
Soil Erosion Motherfuckers !!!

Naked Ninja

Arbiter

@ Corey : Yep, looks as good in motion. And it is just plain old, stock TGEA water. :)

BTW, how are you coming with Horde3D? You should blog about it or just update that thread on ITS with your experiences.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Well, at least I now know that my current rig won't be able to run it. Maybe it will be finished about the time I buy a new computer, which should be about 5 days before the end of the world. ;)

cardtrick

Arbiter
Naked Ninja said:

@ Corey : Yep, looks as good in motion. And it is just plain old, stock TGEA water. :)

BTW, how are you coming with Horde3D? You should blog about it or just update that thread on ITS with your experiences.

It's not coming with Horde3D. I don't remember how much I filled people in on my plans, but I decided to take some time to learn how to program, for real, before messing with another game engine. So I've been working my way through several books (Head First C#, Accelerated C# 2008, C# In Depth, Code Complete, Head First Design Patterns) more or less simultaneously, and coding a lot (I'm actually entering and running all of the examples in both Head First books, and most of the ones in Accelerated C#, which is why things are going so slow). I've been looking for excuses to write programs and doing it whenever I can (a little simulator for my mother who's taking a biology class, a helper program for myself to organize some files, a parser/displayer/merger for the Head First C# errata, etc.).

I'm really enjoying learning to program. It's one of those areas where you can really sense the progress you're making, and it's also just very satisfying. I'm actually considering it as a career (I'll always love physics, but I'm coming to realize that academic science research might not be the right career for me).

So I haven't been doing much directly related to game engine work, but it's always on my mind as the motivation behind my learning and my small projects. I have played a bit with Horde3D, but not much past tweaking the pre-built examples and poking around with the .NET bindings. I'm still not at the point where I feel ready to work with somethin as complex as a 3D game engine. In the last few days, I have started doing some graphics/game work, but just simple stuff (Pong, etc.) using a couple of .NET wrappers for OpenGL (specifically SDLDotNet and Tao.GLFW).

I'm not too sure when I'll get back to working with Horde. I suspect it will be within a month or so, at least on a small scale, but I have been going slower since I started a new job about a month ago, and have had less time for just about everything, so I've been prioritizing. I cut way back on my forum-going, and my game development related time shifted almost completely toward learning/practicing programming, with less time for playing with engines and exploring the blogosphere. I'll definitely post when I get back to working directly on a game related project (especially if it's an RPG) . . . not sure if I'll try blogging again, but definitely something.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Ah, well that's good to hear, glad you're keeping at it and enjoying learning to program. And learning to walk before one attempts to run is a good idea. :)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gold said:
Well, at least I now know that my current rig won't be able to run it. Maybe it will be finished about the time I buy a new computer, which should be about 5 days before the end of the world. ;)

Five days to play, then. You should be happy ;)

hiver

Naked Ninja said:
Ah good, success then! :)
The etymology behind the word was that I wanted a word that sounded guttural and eastern european and made up one that I thought sounded so. ;)
I see you need some help in this area.
As a decidedly south/eastern European Slav i can tell you that ghevist! sounds very much like gemisht which is a folk drink, wine mixed with a bit off sparkling water.
C`orse... real men drink Bevanda which is wine mixed with a bit of ordinary water but thats beside the point for now, ahem.
(i love to hear french scream... ahhh music to my ears :twisted: )

Ghevist also sounds decidedly germanized, as a lot of eastern European Slavic nations are, to a degree.

All in all most of the Slavs reading it will think its some kind of crazy cheers! word.

Naked Ninja said:
And thanks :) Torque is capable of a lot more than most people think.
Hmmmm.... i have a question about that concerning my super secret ultimate project of... ups, almost let it escape....

I like the renders of nature very much.
One thing i noted is that the surface of the water seems very dark, compared to the picture of the actual lake in Oregon.
Is there a specific reason for it to be so ...dark?
I certainly hope so :twisted:
If not, maybe giving it color similar to the sky color above would be better?

Additionally what kind of weather effects and different lighting conditions are you planning?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
sounds more german, actually. like gewiss/gewichst/geweisst/gewischt, depending on how you imagine it would be pronounced.
necromancy ftw!

Atrachasis

Augur
hiver said:
Naked Ninja said:
Ah good, success then! :)
The etymology behind the word was that I wanted a word that sounded guttural and eastern european and made up one that I thought sounded so. ;)
I see you need some help in this area.
As a decidedly south/eastern European Slav i can tell you that ghevist! sounds very much like gemisht which is a folk drink, wine mixed with a bit off sparkling water.

Actually,

"gemisht" =? "gemischt" == "mixed" in German...

Sorry, hiver, but I think that one IS indeed one of ours. No wonder both gemisht and Ghevist sound germanized. Might have been introduced to wherever you live via Yiddish. Such fun to be had with etymology!

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Lol, I like the word, I'm keeping it :P

One thing i noted is that the surface of the water seems very dark, compared to the picture of the actual lake in Oregon.
Is there a specific reason for it to be so ...dark?
I certainly hope so Twisted Evil
If not, maybe giving it color similar to the sky color above would be better?

I can make it whatever colour I want. I'll see if changing the colour looks better.

Additionally what kind of weather effects and different lighting conditions are you planning?

Rain, lightning, etc. Different types of whether, clouds, sunny, the like. I'm trying to put in a day-night cycle, but we will see.

hiver

-Aha..so, youre keeping the name that means "cheers have a mixed drink" as a name for a place of a massacre?
Fine... do it your way! :)

-I was guessing that having water reflecting color of the sky would be harder to do.

- Would be nice if weather effects would have some purpose. Any kind of use really.
No fogs or such "smoky" hazes and stuff?
Mists... rolling over the ice? Coiling around some black Tower?

hiver

Good enough for starters...
I was thinking that if you end up having some backgrounds that would have greater connection to the nature or magic coming from nature forces and spirits... that could be a good place to create some skills and abilities that would use the weather or even be effective only under particular weather.

Maybe it can have an effect on tracking abilities?
rain washes tracks away, snow makes them easier to find... etc.

There is an obvious option of some mage being able to create weather and use it too but im not sure can this be done well... though it fits with the settings history
somewhat. Maybe becoming a god-sorcerer will not be achievable for our character?

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I was thinking that if you end up having some backgrounds that would have greater connection to the nature or magic coming from nature forces and spirits... that could be a good place to create some skills and abilities that would use the weather or even be effective only under particular weather.

I don't think it that type of thing would fit with a starting background, but maybe something you could gain later in the game.

There is an obvious option of some mage being able to create weather

Weather spells are something I'm trying to add in. :)

Maybe becoming a god-sorcerer will not be achievable for our character?

No, definitely not.

is that TGE or TGEA?

Not to be a dick...I think it looks quite nice...but I've seen TGEA look even better.

TGEA. No offense taken, I still have plenty to learn about using TGEA to it's fullest capacity.

hiver

Naked Ninja said:
I don't think it that type of thing would fit with a starting background, but maybe something you could gain later in the game.
I was thinking the same. Maybe a background could just be a pointer in that direction and the actual powers and abilities would be something you learn or gain later.

Naked Ninja said:
Weather spells are something I'm trying to add in. :)
The problem with weather is that it usually takes a lot of "space".
And since it would be too much to be able to create weather for whole countries or large parts of them there needs to be a localized version.
Something like a small black cloud over my head, casting small lightning? :) - just kidding.

hmmm... how to do it in a way that would be... believable...

Maybe there could be a long time costing preparation spells or rituals that could induce a particular type of weather and then the mage could use that created "force" to strengthen some spells or gain new ones for the duration.

However...it feels to me that using nature forces or weather should be a "domain" of barbarian/shaman type of characters.
Fits with the setting and i presume real mages would look down on such "primitive" magics.

A "barbarian" bound to nature spirits could call on the storm or rain to be able to sneak better, stay hidden for example.
And the tradeoff would be that those abilities dont work inside interiors like castles forts and so on.

Naked Ninja said:
Maybe becoming a god-sorcerer will not be achievable for our character?
No, definitely not.
Good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom