Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Geneforge 5 is out for Mac

Monocause

Arcane
Some more Spiderweb action:

Jeff Vogel said:
Geneforge 5: Overthrow is now available for the Macintosh! At last, the epic Geneforge saga comes to a conclusion. The rebellion has brought Terrestia to the brink of ruin. Will you crush the rebels, or will you help them to win their final victory? Achieve your goals with cunning, diplomacy, or your own horde of custom-made, mutant monsters.

Even if his games have a great deal of monotony when you play through one of each series, they always bring a tear to my eyes because of love for the Exile series and Avernum 2&3. Guess I'll give the demo a try.

Humanophage

Arcane
Great news, Geneforge 4 is one of my favourite RPGs. I just love the slave and master theme. Too bad Geneforge 5 has only been released for Macs, I suppose I'll have to search for an emulator now.

I largely fail to see Jeff Vogel's reasoning behind the extremely primitive graphics. Now, the sprites are a bit difficult and require an artist, but a photoshop amateur could have made a more attractive interface. He must be losing a lot of clients this way.

Monocause

Arcane
Humanophage said:
Too bad Geneforge 5 has only been released for Macs, I suppose I'll have to search for an emulator now.

The Windows version will be out probably around January.

I largely fail to see Jeff Vogel's reasoning behind the extremely primitive graphics. Now, the sprites are a bit difficult and require an artist, but a photoshop amateur could have made a more attractive interface. He must be losing a lot of clients this way.

Well, his company is exactly three people IIRC so there's nothing like graphics department. Besides, JV customers usually don't give crap about graphics; still he's making some constant progress. Geneforge 4 looked much better than GF1.
I'll say that spidweb graphics are serviceable and that's all I need.

8utt3rs

Educated
Humanophage said:

Let the game stay what she used to be; the current graphic fits me well, and the SO-called next-gen FXs are not my cup of tea.

Damn, I always hated the HDR or SM or other stuffs, they looks pompous.

Humanophage

Arcane
Monocause
The site says the Windows version will only be released in March, unfortunately.

Well, his company is exactly three people IIRC so there's nothing like graphics department. Besides, JV customers usually don't give crap about graphics; still he's making some constant progress. Geneforge 4 looked much better than GF1.
I'll say that spidweb graphics are serviceable and that's all I need.
They actually hire artists, from what I understand. The poor design makes it difficult to promote the game - Jeff Vogel complained that he had put a lot of effort to create an interesting unorthodox setting in Nethergate, but it sold poorly, and he had to focus on Avernum's fantasy setting which he claimed he didn't like half as much. Well, he could easily compensate for a non-standard setting with better design.

8utt3rs
I'm not referring to nextgen, but to good design. Geneforge's interface looks like a poorly made image inflated using bevel and emboss in Photoshop. The icons look like much smaller images that got brutally stretched and then, again, inflated using bevel and emboss in the most crude manner. They also differ in style to one another. Compare that to tasteful 2D interfaces of games like Hearts of Iron or King of Dragon Pass. They were a pleasure to behold, while Geneforge's and Avernum's interfaces had to be merely tolerated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom