Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie GearHead Caramel

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The 3rd installment in the Gearhead series (or the fourth, I am pretty sure there was another at some point, but maybe it is the one that ended up being turned into Gearhead caramel?).

gDZXCe.gif

L2EupP.png

So, like in the previous ones, you get to salvage and customize mechas, find lancemates, complete missions.
You can import your character from GearHead Arena, and you get full control over your party in combat.

Your mechs have 2 actions, and have access to more weapons than they can fire. They have an energy jauge and the pilots have a concentration jauge that don't replenish in combat. Both are used to perform special attacks (chaining shots, linking weapon fire, ...).

Customization is pretty cool, with tradeoffs to make between protection and dodge, and accuracy and destructive power, and it plays much smoother than Battletech (and also feels closer to Crescent Hawk), and the mecha sprites are cute.

The non mech part is weaker, with little to do, except find missions, recruit pilots, and go on shopping sprees, but like in Crescent Hawk, you have ground missions with your pathetically unfit pilot doing grunt work (I gave implants that tank body for piloting attributes and skills on mine). The character portraits are also off-putting (they were better in GearHead 1 IMO).
Note that wasting time to stroll around towns is something I despise in a lot of RPG (I wish many more used the Darklands approach), so I don't think it is worse than the "genre standard" in this regard.

i%2FZ%2BA0.png

You can find the game on itch.io, where the previous two opus can also be donwloaded for free, and the source code on github.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Tacticool combat is :incline: but when I played it last the UI was pretty horrendous. Needed a lot of work.

Interested is seeing how it turns out though.
The UI is still not great indeed. It takes too many clicks to get to the inventory screen, I sometimes shoot empty tiles while trying to select weapons, and I still haven't found out how to see my character skill levels.
It also lacks hotkeys (which is a shame given that the previous games were almost keyboard only).
It is still better than BattleTech, though :D

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Is it just me, or do the character sprites look worse in this game than its predecessor? Something seems...off, but I can't put my finger on what.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Is it just me, or do the character sprites look worse in this game than its predecessor? Something seems...off, but I can't put my finger on what.
It is possible. The character portraits are the worst of his games.
All the other sprites can easily be changed, though

upload_2021-2-5_9-40-55.png

The design part is really nice, and allows quite some flexibility in customizing mechas:

upload_2021-2-5_10-2-58.png

Here, as I was designing my mecha for close comat, I removed all hardpoints to make it lighter, and more maneuvrable (close combat works much better than before, because you can use an action to charge, instead of wasting AP to move, and not having AP left to reach the target as was the case in the previous iterations).
I could probably remove the sword, because a secondary melee weapon doesn't really change much, and the added accuracy of the sword is offset by having the arm much less "agile" because it also carries the shield.

Edit: The dialogues are below serviceable, though, with most just being clicking every option hoping that one will trigger a quest location, and all NPC in a location share a very small pool of dialogue lines, so it probably works better as a tactical RPG than a "full blown" RPG.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom