Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Games Workshop takes the hatchet to Age of Sigmar, fans are Big Mad (TM)

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I play AoF. The army builder doesn't restrict what units you can take, including cross faction. If you want to play Rats, Humans, Orcs and Elves all in one list that's completely valid outside of competitive play. The factions aren't locked from each other.
I didn't say that. This was a misunderstanding.

But OPR lore means sweet fuck all because it's just 40k 3rd edition without the bloat. No one plays "OPR" like they do warhamer. They play Warhammer with OPR rules.
Well, they play their fanon/headcanon at least. There's a continuous drift between the GW canon and the fanon that is a headache to keep track of. It's already hard enough to keep track of GW canon. Seriously, just make your own universe already.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Well, they play their fanon/headcanon at least. There's a continuous drift between the GW canon and the fanon that is a headache to keep track of. It's already hard enough to keep track of GW canon. Seriously, just make your own universe already.
Most people playing OPR just want to play 40k without dealing with 9th editions bullshit. I like the simple rule set for when you're in a hurry or playing with young players who can't be expected to manage a proper game.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This happened after they tried to sue an innocent housewife for publishing her book Spots the Space Marine and lost in court despite having overwhelming financial advantage, because I guess the judge had basic human decency or something.

GW also sued Chapterhouse during that time as well. Chapterhouse provided add ons for GW miniatures using Space Marine, Eldar, etc... names for their miniature bits. GW lost that case as well and the US judge told GW that you can't trademark a common name like Space Marines and Eldar. This is why they came out with Age of Shit and changes to 40k.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Most people playing OPR just want to play 40k without dealing with 9th editions bullshit. I like the simple rule set for when you're in a hurry or playing with young players who can't be expected to manage a proper game.
My point being, that's not a sustainable way of doing the hobby. GW is gonna keep making unpopular changes as long as you give them money. You'll need to make a new IP eventually. It's better to rip off that band-aid now rather than put it off.

I can say that about... every IP, honestly. If it wasn't already killed off, then it's being killed now. Or its corpse is being beaten. Star Wars, Star Trek, Aliens, 40k, Starship Troopers, StarCraft, WarCraft, Warhammer... This is what happens when you let monopolies dominate the creative sphere. This has been happening for decades. Before wokeness, it was Star Trek Enterprise, Prometheus, Alien 3, that damnable Verhoeven movie, the Star Wars prequels, the Newcrons, etc.

Hell Swarm

Educated
My point being, that's not a sustainable way of doing the hobby. GW is gonna keep making unpopular changes as long as you give them money. You'll need to make a new IP eventually. It's better to rip off that band-aid now rather than put it off.
This is never going to happen. There has been alternatives to GW ever since GW started and there will be the day we're all dead. People play warhammer for warhammer and nothing will shift them from it until they themselves peak. It sucks as someone who hasn't played 40k since 2nd edition but that's what it is. Alternatives do exist, many run by ex GW staff like Walord and Mantic. But you just can't shake the big boy's tree hard enough to drop enough apples to dent them. Every non-GW game is a tiny fraction of the market, despite better rules, often better models and better communities. You have to accept it and help people get off the GW ride when they're ready.
This is what happens when you let monopolies dominate the creative sphere
GW is dominated by consumer choice. We've never had as much tabletop freedom as we do now and GW have never had such a shitty game but it's made no impact.
his has been happening for decades. Before wokeness, it was Star Trek Enterprise, Prometheus, Alien 3, that damnable Verhoeven movie, the Star Wars prequels, the Newcrons, etc.
I will fight you good sir. If you like the Star wars prequels or not you cannot call them uncreative. They are some of the most creative movies ever made. They pushed film making technology to breaking point and did an incredible amount of world building and had a colossal amount of creative creatures, locations and objects. You can say the acting is bad and the plot sucks but in terms of raw creativity they are exceptional in almost every way a movie can be.

Now if you want uncreative the Abrams movies are exactly what you describe. But people will consume what they are given and there's little we morals can do to stop them.

but it's made no impact.
I would argue that GW's falling sales and increasing reliance on video game royalties says otherwise.
Far from falling, their sales figures are so good they are going to open a new factory to keep up with demand (and tbh, I don't expect fans to give up plastic crack to teach them a lesson). The revenue from licensing their IPs all over the place just means they are less reliant on income from physical game sales.

Hell Swarm

Educated
but it's made no impact.
I would argue that GW's falling sales and increasing reliance on video game royalties says otherwise.
Far from falling, their sales figures are so good they are going to open a new factory to keep up with demand (and tbh, I don't expect fans to give up plastic crack to teach them a lesson). The revenue from licensing their IPs all over the place just means they are less reliant on income from physical game sales.
I don't understand how everything is claiming record profits when so much of it is clearly failing and struggling to draw an audience. There is clearly a lot of hatred for Nu GW and some how they're making record profits despite even the players agreeing the game is unplayable with all it's bloat. I'm almost tempted to say it's scalping propping them up but we'll never know.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Yeah. Given all the other shit GW pulled, I suspect this will be another nothing burger and fans will keep buying/promoting GW rather than taking their money elsewhere. Fucking monopolies.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Yeah. Given all the other shit GW pulled, I suspect this will be another nothing burger and fans will keep buying/promoting GW rather than taking their money elsewhere. Fucking monopolies.
GW is gonna GW, but it's everything. Pro wrestling is clearly massively down across the board and yet they keep claiming record profits. Is inflation so bad they keep upping the numbers and claim it's a win?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom