Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

games with opening vignettes?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
aside from toee, are there any currently released rpgs that have those, and if yes, which ones?

nomask7

Arcane
All the Gothics (with the possible exception of the first one), Baldur's Gate (maybe, better check that for yourself), Ultima VII, Might & Magic VI (do intro movies count?), The Witcher, both Fallouts. What do you mean by opening vignettes anyway? It seems to me they are everywhere. Is this a troll thread?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Opening vignettes means different openings for different classes.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
aw sorry, vignette is a word i'm not that familiar with.
technically i mean different beginnings like the alignment based opening segments in toee. think aod is supposed to have something like this as well, and dragon age.

nomask7

Arcane
OK, that makes sense. Can't help you. (I played ToEE for a long time before I even noticed it had different beginnings for neutral and evil, so I wouldn't necessarily know. I always play the good guy in games.)

Andhaira

Arcane
They were a great idea but executed poorly. Sacred has them but saced is a action adventure with minimal rpg elements

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
hm? i thought the toee ones were pretty well made since every one gave a tiny bit of the bigger picture and there were some elements in the game relating to the different vignettes.

Andhaira

Arcane
They were very minor. A great idea as I said, but should have had more in them.

As it was though, most were actually more fun to play through than the stupid main quest in the game. :D

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Many MMOs offer opening vignettes. LOTRO especially. Even WoW does it (one per race plus quests tailored to classes, and one class gets a super-individualized-special opening).

mondblut

Arcane
Wizardry 7 and 8 have different beginnings depending on the ending of an imported savegame from 6 and 7 respectively. Other than that, can't remember any.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Seiken Densetsu 3. Each character have an individual vignette that gives them motivation for entering the main plot.

"The characters (and their individual stories) are grouped into three main sub-plots. Duran and Angela oppose the Dragon Emperor; Hawkeye and Riesz oppose the Dark Prince; and Kevin and Charlotte oppose the Masked Mage. The main storyline is determined by the first character chosen, however there is significantly more character interaction and dialogue if these pairs of characters are selected in the same party."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiken_Densetsu_3

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Elhoim said:
Seiken Densetsu 3. Each character have an individual vignette that gives them motivation for entering the main plot.

"The characters (and their individual stories) are grouped into three main sub-plots. Duran and Angela oppose the Dragon Emperor; Hawkeye and Riesz oppose the Dark Prince; and Kevin and Charlotte oppose the Masked Mage. The main storyline is determined by the first character chosen, however there is significantly more character interaction and dialogue if these pairs of characters are selected in the same party."

I really enjoyed that aspect of the game. It wasn't juts an opening vignette, it carried on throughout the game. Something to learn from a jRPG.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yep, the plot of the game was pretty linear, in typical jRPG fashion, but party dialogues, antagonists and endings changed depending on your main character and the other 2 characters you chose.

nomask7

Arcane
Kingston said:
Elhoim said:

I really enjoyed that aspect of the game. It wasn't juts an opening vignette, it carried on throughout the game. Something to learn from a jRPG.
I've read that The 7th Saga has a bit of that as well (although thankfully it also has a complete lack of gay jrpg feel). There is a badass demon castle that you can invade through the main gate only if you chose the strong dwarf as your character at the beginning (or, I suppose, if you've managed to get him to travel with you—you can actually only have one companion). Without the dwarf, you'll have to sneak in thru catacombs infested with nasty monsters in addition to dealing with the opposition inside the castle. Something to that effect. I also like how the random encounters are actually moving spots on the map, and you can try to avoid them. It's possible—but very difficult—to get from town to town travelling for hundreds of miles without having to fight a single battle. In fact, the system is exactly the same in dungeons, too. It makes for some exciting travelling in addition to the much needed possibility of skipping random encounters, which no other jrpg has so far as I know (except Chrono Trigger, which has semi-avoidable enemies everywhere except the world map if I recall right).

Random encounter:

nosferatu-081407.jpg

Reliquary

Novice
Yup, 7th saga was like that. Weird game but those made it interesting if you wanted to replay it

I think Beyond Divinity or Divine Divinity had opening vignettes? Might be wrong - haven't played them in like forever

Murk

Arcane
Reliquary said:
I think Beyond Divinity or Divine Divinity had opening vignettes? Might be wrong - haven't played them in like forever

I'm afraid not on this one, both games started the same way regardless of class... Beyond Divinity didn't even have a class system.

I blieve a lot of jRPGs had this feature, some of them having been mentioned. The Saga Frontier and Romancing Saga games are another example. For instance, both Saga Frontier 1 and Romancing Saga 3 were "do whatever" games, but featured different openings and eventual end quests depending on what character you chose. Much of the game was the same but you had a lot of quests available or closed off depending on what/who you picked.

nomask7 said:
I always play the good guy in games.)

Does anyone else find this ironic?

I just get this mental image of nomask picking all the evil 'genocide the jews/non-humans/etc' options, while thinking to himself 'I'm playing the good path, again'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom