Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games like Total War

ValeVelKal

Arcane
The Cossacks series plays similar to Total War but with the added advantage of also being Age of Empires as well. Conquest of America is a spin-off series as is Entente (WW1) as they are all based off the same engine.
Sadly they don't have a campaign map.
Entente is one of the worst WW1 game you can imagine. From 0 to 5, I rate it "stupid".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Cossacks series plays similar to Total War but with the added advantage of also being Age of Empires as well. Conquest of America is a spin-off series as is Entente (WW1) as they are all based off the same engine.
Sadly they don't have a campaign map.
Entente is one of the worst WW1 game you can imagine. From 0 to 5, I rate it "stupid".

It's also a complete buggy mess that's hard to run, while the original Cossacks and American Conquest games work perfectly fine.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I do agree because its completely half baked. The AI doesn't know how to use artillery and air properly because these were afterthoughts. Just saying it exists not that it's good. Cossacks and American Conquest are the way to go.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I do agree because its completely half baked. The AI doesn't know how to use artillery and air properly because these were afterthoughts. Just saying it exists not that it's good. Cossacks and American Conquest are the way to go.
I am more shocked by the lack of trenches in a WWI game (that would be like a WW2 in Russia game without tanks), by tanks and warplanes in the 1914 scenario,…

There was also a World War One Blitzkrieg clone (creatively called World War One) that is a competition for “worst World War One game” for exactly the same reason (minus trenches).

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Oh yeah, I remember Strength & Honour now:
http://www.ezgame.com/SNH2/

and other similar games by the same developer, like Takeda and Sango

the developer sadly turned to mobile games now

can you buy these anywhere? the purchase page for this leads to gamersgate, and gamersgate went to hell recently. all of their endearing and lesser-known games are gone

i've searched high and low, and i could only find a copy of the original game here.... and i don't speak spanish

https://archive.org/details/snh_game

If the Gamersgate purchase links don't work, then I don't think you can buy it anymore. Find torrents instead.
Should I add this to my thread about strategy games that can't be bought from anywhere?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Making an isometric 2.5D game with Total War tactical combat mechanics is easier than people might think.

Games with Total-War-esque strategy mechanics but no tactical layer for me are totally underwhelming to be honest. Might as well play SMAC with unofficial patches and enjoy it more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom