Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games like Settlers

J1M

Arcane
So I gave Settlers 7 a try. The only way to turn off depth of field was to reduce the graphics settings to low, which ironically doesn't look that different than with having everything blurred to shit. It's just a little easier on the eyes because things are crisper and at a higher framerate.

I like how there is no micromanagement of the military. You just send your general to a region and they do their thing. Though obviously the entire economy only exists to support the military. (like in real life)

This exercise made me wonder why there aren't more games where the military is absent and the opponent is not such a direct adversary.

Having an objective like, say, reaching 2% unemployment in a modern economy would be an interesting goal to have. The quick and dirty way of doing it would be to loosen up loans and let inflation skyrocket. But hey, you hit 2% unemployment so mission success. On to the next one.

To broaden the appeal of an economy management game they usually dumb down the mechanics and make them about rollercoasters where the goal is to make a profit. I wonder if a game set in a magic academy that featured a complex crafting system would be compelling. The place must import and trade reagents to support the training and advancement of its students who can then produce more complicated potions etc. for sale or use in crafting. Since wizards don't care about gold so much the goal could be something along the lines of training a lvl 10 wizard. Low difficulties it would be inevitable, but score based on time. Higher difficulties would have more random events and adversity, like perhaps a random reagent simply being not available and require the kind of inventory management seen in a difficult rogue-like.

Maybe add a wizard duel at the end of each year for more depth. There are prizes to be won, even if that just means killing a rival school's top wizard, but at the expense of costly reagents, etc. In some ways that would be like having a military option, since it can't be used to win the game and could be opted out of completely, but it would probably feel different.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
CrimsonAngel said:
Settlers 7
Is that the latest one?
I bought the latest one and totally regret it.

J1M

Arcane
Zed said:
CrimsonAngel said:
Settlers 7
Is that the latest one?
I bought the latest one and totally regret it.
Yes. Regret because it was so DRM'd up the ass that you never got it to work? lol

Reading about that made me look into the high seas version.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
J1M said:
Yes. Regret because it was so DRM'd up the ass that you never got it to work? lol

that + graphics that make you dizzy + shit interface + boring

zeitgeist

Magister
Zed said:
J1M said:

Does it have noticeable unit/building caps? I remember playing one of the recent ones, I think 5, and not being able to build a decently sized city due to caps. Wasn't really interested in it enough to research if they could be modded out or otherwise fixed though.

Archibald

Arcane
J1M said:
This exercise made me wonder why there aren't more games where the military is absent and the opponent is not such a direct adversary.

Because only you and other 3 fags in whole world care about this. All normal people want to kill and mutilate their adversaries. We don`t care about inflation if we can`t punch it in the face.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
zeitgeist said:
Zed said:
J1M said:

Does it have noticeable unit/building caps? I remember playing one of the recent ones, I think 5, and not being able to build a decently sized city due to caps. Wasn't really interested in it enough to research if they could be modded out or otherwise fixed though.

You are More limited to the amount of space you have and RAW resources.
I have not hit any CAP for any thing, but then again i have never tried to.

Now Sttlers 7 is not as good as 1 or 2, but still it is not horrible like 3-6.

ortucis

Prophet
Majesty?

You are just financing/investing/building the economy.

J1M

Arcane
Archibald said:
J1M said:

Because only you and other 3 fags in whole world care about this. All normal people want to kill and mutilate their adversaries. We don`t care about inflation if we can`t punch it in the face.
Yeah, fuck stat sheets and skill systems!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom