Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game ADD

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why do people keep old moldy boxes of games anyway? I throw them as I buy them, even old manuals which I no longer need gets tossed away. We have digital downloads nowadays people! Scanned manuals FTW!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Mighty Mouse said:
Why do people keep old moldy boxes of games anyway? I throw them as I buy them, even old manuals which I no longer need gets tossed away. We have digital downloads nowadays people! Scanned manuals FTW!

Blasphemer! :rpgcodex:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Mighty Mouse said:

You'll never find happiness in your life

Durwyn

Prophet
Mighty Mouse said:
Oh yeah, just remember to get the serial keys before demolishing boxes/manuals/cd cases.
I've fucked myself like that with Nox... Fortunately I figured out how to extract game files directly from cab. files from cd, overriding installation cdkey check.

Melcar

Arcane
Mighty Mouse said:

You will die alone.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Digging into the box contents, manual, maps etc....is one of my favorite parts of the game experience.

I had hoped someone would be influenced by the Ultima's and do what they did, but with digital distribution we will never see that again most likely.

Saxon1974

Prophet
denizsi said:
I have probably over 200 RPGs going all the way back to the early 80's all in the original boxes

You know, you should do something about that. And post pictures of it. Believe me, it helps with the attention problem. Join the club

Very cool, you know what when I get a little time I think I will post some pictures of mine. I have them in IKIA shelving.

DaViLLaN

Augur
For me it's that there is no real reward to actually finishing the game aside from personal accomplishment, and I don't need a game to feel that way. We should get cash when we finish a game.

I think I have been gambling way too much lately.

Edited for no reason

Mighty Mouse said:

You don't like having a physical copy of the game you bought? I can maybe see most of the old PC games in the giant boxes, but to get rid of manuals too?

You lose much of the resale value, and in modern Steam/Wii Virtual Console/XBLA type things you basically lose entire ownership of a product. What happens if the machine dies? Or the company hosting this stuff decides to go up in smoke, or just decides they don't feel like allowing you to use that program any more?

Its part of the horrible disposable society we are becoming where everything older than a year is worthless trash and let's all preorder sight unseen whatever new crap is being put out since newer is always better.

I just don't get folks like you.

What's so bad about buying things with the intent to get decades of use out of them instead of weeks?

If space is that hard, just RENT your movies and games, and get books from the library...

Hard Knox

Educated
I'll never use Steam. I'd hate to have someone else controlling what games I can and cannot play.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Aww you guys thought I was serious, just kidding with ye.

Actually I have computer games paraphernalia fetish just like you guys! At night, when nobody is looking I take out those old Dos game manuals and stroke them. My favourite is that pinkish/reddish Darklands manual, plus unfolding that medieval map of Germany, it's heaven!:wink:

What's yours?

Redeye

Arcane
I still have my cloth Ultima 3 map.

Ruined, as I used it as a placemat/beer coaster.

ah well

Oeolycus

Novice
Saxon1974 said:
Anyone else have Game Attention Deficit Disorder?

My RPG collection has grown quite large, I have probably over 200 RPGs going all the way back to the early 80's all in the original boxes. While I like the collection, Im constantly starting a game then abandoning them for another.

It's got to the point now where Im driving myself nuts on what to play with all the choices.

WHAT DO I DO NOW!!! :roll:

You're probably just a collector instead of a completionist. I have this same problem often. Install the old game, find the recent community patches, reread the manual, plan the character, quit about 15 minutes after I start playing. It sounds like you're not deriving much fun from replaying. Do you feel compelled to play just because you have them (and so many)?

For me, the replaying was not as good as my memory of playing. So I just quit trying. My favorite book is Moby Dick, but that doesn't mean I've read it more than once. That's life. As with any hobby there is the cult of the new. The new compels us to try something different before we really digest what we had before. Unfortunately most new RPGs suck, so you and I probably are members of something more like the cult of the old. If you're fretting about it, pick one and play it all the way through. Or make a project out of it as someone else suggested. If playing these games is work, well, you'll have to decide on your own what to do then.

I rarely play PC games anymore. I found euro boardgames and squad-level tactical war board games, and that's been all she wrote. Good luck either way!

I'm still using the same Max Payne mousepad I got 8 years ago somehow (did it come with the game??). It is weathered and well-loved.

Hory

Erudite
Oeolycus said:
I rarely play PC games anymore. I found euro boardgames and squad-level tactical war board games, and that's been all she wrote.
Same for me. It seems that board games have, on average, better gameplay mechanics. What squad-level tactical games do you recommend?

Ebonsword

Arcane
I think my problem is that I've grown less tolerant of games' shortcomings as I've gotten older.

Back in the day, I used to play the Bard's Tale games for hours on end, for months at a time. I loved leveling my party, grinding out level after level so I could get my last spellcaster ready to qualify for the Archmage class.

This was despite the fact that those games were heavily populated with brain-twisting and unintuitive puzzles that my teen-aged mind could never figure out, not to mention the sadistic, maze-like dungeons with no automapping, random teleportation squares and areas where no light was allowed.

I never finished any of those games, and I owned all three.

Now, though, after playing games that are more intuitive (I suppose some would say "esaier" :P ), I wouldn't spend more than a week or so torturing myself with a game like Bard's Tale, before uninstalling it and tossing in a box somewhere.

Similarly, when Final Fantasy VII came out, I was floored by how story-driven it was. I was amazed by the (for the time) awesome cutscenes. I was thrilled by the anime-inspired character design, and overjoyed to see such typical anime tropes as the spunky ninja girl and the cute talking animal.

Now, though, after playing countless JRPGs that all aspired to be FFVII, I am pretty much sick of the things. Wow, another hero who's lost his memory? Joy. Hour after hour of ultra-linear gameplay punctuated by half-hour long boss fights? Snore.

It takes something pretty special (like Persona 3) to hold my attention in the JRPG department, these days.

Then there's the Baldur's Gate series. After playing so many JRPGs, suddenly I had a game where I could actually choose what my character class is! I could play a male or a female! And I could even customize their appearance! Not to mention that I could freely explore the world as I wished, instead of having to go from place A to place B with no opportunity for choice.

Too bad that playing Toika's Temple of Elemental Evil has made me realize what a poor substitute real-time-with-pause is for turn-based combat. :( Now that I've seen how good a D&D game's combat can be, it makes it so very hard to go to back disorganized brawls of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

Similarly, I once thought that the plethora of races, classes, and kits in Baldur's Gate 2 offered seemingly boundless character customization options. Now, though, they seem a bit restrictive compared to the vast amount of classes, prestige classes, feats, etc in Neverwinter Nights 2.

The same thing is true for other genres besides RPGs. After playing Rainbow Six Vegas, I cannot stand to play older shooters where you cannot use cover. That's part of the reason that abandoned both Bioshock and Half-Lief 2 after playing each for only a couple of hours. (Although, for some reason, not being able to use cover doesn't bother me in Left 4 Dead.)

So, like I said, after playing so many games, and seeing the best aspects of game design, I'm increasingly frustrated by games that fail to incorporate advances that have been made over the years.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Join the club. I no longer have the attention span to play anything for any extended period of time, it feels like. Most recently, I couldn't finish either SoZ or Drakensang or King's Bounty, though maybe that's got more to do with monotony than ADD. I couldn't finish Bioshock. My pile of games unplayed is embarrassingly large--some of them I've never even installed.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
my problem is a serious case of graphicswhorism. i have tons of gems installed but cant play them for long because they re so ugly these days.

and then i play newer games and am not happy either because they lack the depth of the oldies. unlike some of you i manage to play them through and somewhat still enjoy them but i always have that bitter taste of "wouldnt it be awesome if the game was more like oldie XY", which i then desperatly want to replay but upon doing so find out my graphicwhorism puts a stop to enjoying them.

only oldie i played for longer than our hour lately has been Realms of Arcania: Star Trail last winter (being pretty disappointed with SoZ = main motivation) but couldnt finish it either.

last games i purchased been DoW2 and E:TW and though i "finished" both and didnt find them a waste of money (cheap UK imports helped in that though) - i d have much rather replayed Dark Omen / Final Liberation in new graphics though.

rpg-wise for me last year wasnt that bad, as i was able to get enjoyment out of drakensang, mass effect and even FO3, but none of them comes even remotely close to star trail, ultima underworld & co in actual gameplay.

actually now that i think of it, the last new game that i trouly found great, not just "playable" was the FFH2 total conversion for civ4, else there wasnt anything above mediocre/good in 2008/2009.

i wish graphicswhorism was curable - properly replaying & enjoying all the gems on my HD
would satisfy my gaming needs for many years to come ( 1 year alone for master of magic .... )

Ugh I have this bad, I'm currently half-way through Riddick: Dark Athena and I've started up Gothic 2 (which I've played before but never gotten past chapter 2) and even before that I installed Clive Barker's Undying, World of Goo and Abe's Odyssey and Exodus. After all this I've installed Wolverine: Origins but can't be arsed to start it up and now I'm considering installing Thief 2.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Oeolycus said:
Saxon1974 said:
Anyone else have Game Attention Deficit Disorder?

My RPG collection has grown quite large, I have probably over 200 RPGs going all the way back to the early 80's all in the original boxes. While I like the collection, Im constantly starting a game then abandoning them for another.

It's got to the point now where Im driving myself nuts on what to play with all the choices.

WHAT DO I DO NOW!!! :roll:

You're probably just a collector instead of a completionist. I have this same problem often. Install the old game, find the recent community patches, reread the manual, plan the character, quit about 15 minutes after I start playing. It sounds like you're not deriving much fun from replaying. Do you feel compelled to play just because you have them (and so many)?

For me, the replaying was not as good as my memory of playing. So I just quit trying. My favorite book is Moby Dick, but that doesn't mean I've read it more than once. That's life. As with any hobby there is the cult of the new. The new compels us to try something different before we really digest what we had before. Unfortunately most new RPGs suck, so you and I probably are members of something more like the cult of the old. If you're fretting about it, pick one and play it all the way through. Or make a project out of it as someone else suggested. If playing these games is work, well, you'll have to decide on your own what to do then.

I rarely play PC games anymore. I found euro boardgames and squad-level tactical war board games, and that's been all she wrote. Good luck either way!

I'm still using the same Max Payne mousepad I got 8 years ago somehow (did it come with the game??). It is weathered and well-loved.

You have some good points here. I always find the starting up of a new game and creating characters etc alot of fun....but usually after a few hours in I tend to want to play something else. Very few games can hold my interest more than a few days.

I think having a large collection makes this even harder because I have all those great boxes to look at and call my name....

Well, sounds like this is pretty common out there in RPG land.

I restarted Ultima IV again but Its looking like Im not gonna finish it again. Started FO3 but got bored after about 2 hours....

Xaus

Novice
Oh, man, exactly the same. For the most part, my collection is full of PS1 JRPGs which I've never finished except for FF7 and FF10. The rest... I kind of get satisfaction just from knowing I own it.

Xenosaga Ep I, FF Chronicles & Anthology, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, FF12, Wild Arms 3, Suikoden III, FFX-2 (yes, I have no shame) and Titan Quest if you want to throw that in.

I always feel guility when I buy a new game nowadays cause I have such a haul of games that need to be finished first. :/

denizsi

Arcane
Ever feel like when you'll be having your final moments in the deathbed, last thing to cross your mind will be the games you couldn't finish, or even start? That's one serious fear that keeps me motivated to play and finish my games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom