Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck! ARMA 2 is awesome but I need halp!

deshields538

Scholar
So I bought the Combined OPs pack off steam just yesterday and downloaded it to my desktop and laptop. The laptop is brand new and my first experience with Windows 7. I think its security marlarky is stopping me from joining certain servers since when I join some I get auto-kicked for not having the right permissions (or some bullshit like that). Even though I'm the administrator account and I've turned User Account Control Settings off.

:x

Halp me codex.

So I haven't got to play online with the laptop yet. But in the meantime I tried it out with the desktop and had a blast playing on one of the new British Armed Forces servers (will likely cave in and buy the DLC). Doing mass helicopter assaults and parachuting is awesome.

:thumbsup:

On a side note, it may just be my shitty old desktop but is it usual to get near constant lag online even from green ping servers? It would be understandable considering how fucking huge the COOP map was I guess. I set video memory to very high and nearly everything else to very low but even walking around baren land nets me a case of teh lags.

Specs for the desktop:

Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66Ghz
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS

Not sure whether this should run it smoothly on lowest or not.

Tycn

Savant
No, it isn't abnormal that it runs like shit. I have better specs than you and it's still barely playable. Lowering settings hardly helps either.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ACTUALLY THAT IS THE REASON THE GAME IS COOL IS BECAUISE IT RUNS LIKE SHIT ONLY POPAMOILE FAGS WANT THERE GAMES TO RUN RIGHT WITHOUT ANY WORK

MetalCraze

Arcane
I think its security marlarky is stopping me from joining certain servers since when I join some I get auto-kicked for not having the right permissions (or some bullshit like that).
You get kicked if you don't have the exactly same mods used on servers.
2 most common mods are Zeus AI and ACE2. Both are a must-have. The first one enhances AI greatly (but isn't quite compatible with ACE2 for OA as of right now), the second one adds a shitton of features and realism to the game. You will need a link for the newest beta of the former as the version on Armaholic is heavily outdated and you will need "six updater" for the latter (use google to find it). It's just a software that will download/install/update the mod as updates/fixes are released every week (the mod itself takes several gigabytes)

On a side note, it may just be my shitty old desktop but is it usual to get near constant lag online even from green ping servers?
No, that shouldn't happen with the green ping. Unless by "lags" you mean performance not actual network lags. If you talk about low performance then I'll have to disappoint you - some mission makers make missions with hundreds of units present including civilians and AI allies and it can be taxing even for fast quad-cores, let alone dual-cores as the engine has all units present on the map at all times, nothing gets spawned out of nowhere (unless mission maker intends so - but due to the huge open world and script-less nature of the engine predicting what players will do is impossible). But usually missions of such a scale are made for games with 25 or more people as placing a mere hundred of enemies obviously won't be enough. So that's kinda a hint for you. I guess you can play on Takistan with that kind of videocard. Chernarus with all its dense vegetation will eat it alive most likely.
Unless it's of course Warfare or Domination type of a mission. They tend to be demanding most of the time.
Because I really hope that you were playing a proper coop with some tactical clan as aforementioned game modes have nothing on real coop missions with varied objectives where AA2 really shines.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
do u have AA and shadows turned off? ArmA2 works like shit anyway. Try to set low resolution too. and how much VRAM do u have? If less than 1 GB then don't set it 'very high'

deshields538

Scholar
You get kicked if you don't have the exactly same mods used on servers.

I don't think that was the reason since I was able to connect to the same server (one of the 7th Cavalry ones) with my desktop which is XP. Admittedly this is more of a Windows 7 problem than an ARMA 2 one. My friend also bought the game and was able to connect with his vista laptop and when I asked one of the server admins he said to turn the User Control Settings off, which didn't work.

No, that shouldn't happen with the green ping. Unless by "lags" you mean performance not actual network lags.

It's probably performance lag then. I can't remember the name of the map that I was on but it had objectives like SultanSafe and you begin at an airport in the south east of the map.

do u have AA and shadows turned off? ArmA2 works like shit anyway. Try to set low resolution too. and how much VRAM do u have? If less than 1 GB then don't set it 'very high'

Yes, AA and shadows are both off and I've set visibility to around 1km. My desktop resolution is 1024 x 768. Not sure how much VRAM I have.

But I intend to use the laptop once I get the permissions thing resolved so I can play online, with these specs:

AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile M520 @ 2.30Ghz
4GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530
Widescreen Resolution

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom