Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3 feels exactlly like Oblivion - a hands-on preview

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Cthulhugoat said:
Is that really a mudcrab? It looks a bit like that crab-monster from the FO3 preview.
They may as well call it a radcrab or whatever, but it will always be a mudcrab to me.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
What is with the "portable nuclear missile launcher". Didn't Bethesda realize how retarded this sounds?

Relayer71

Liturgist
Once in a while I wonder if I was too hard on Oblivion and didn't give it enough of a chance because of all the hatred it received on the Codex.

Not that i"m easily swayed by others (obviously I wasn't swayed by all those "99%", "A+", "Masterpiece" reviews everywhere else) but being that this is one of the few sites true PC RPG enthusiasts gather I respect the opinions of it's staff/members a bit more.

But everytime I re-install the game and try to play it I come to the same conclusion: somewhat decent action/adventure game, HORRIBLE RPG. Morrowind had it's heart in the right place even if it was heavily flawed but Oblivion failed on all counts. Which is why I think Fallout 3 can't help but fail as well.

Bethesda seems to pride itself on all the design choices I absolutely hated in Oblivion: watered down character growth system, simplified dialogue, hand holding, accessible (read: generic) main quest.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
But Oblivion is pretty terrible even by adventure game standards. I had way more fun with Overlord, for example, despite all it's flaws.

Hell, even Fable was more entertaining.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Xor said:
But Oblivion is pretty terrible even by adventure game standards. I had way more fun with Overlord, for example, despite all it's flaws.

Hell, even Fable was more entertaining.
Way more entertaining, not really an RPG, but I liked the graphic style and feel of the world.
I can't see aspect in which Oblivion can be better than Fable.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Don't bother. Even very heavily moded, and I do mean at least 20 sophisticated mods that change it deeply, it shows its ugly face more often than not. Passable at best.

spiwak

Novice
"even Fable?" Fable is a gazillion times more fun than Oblivion. Molyneux aside, at least the game didn't take itself seriously.

gamefan

Scholar
Fable was alright, it was really a 15 hour hack and slash to be honest though, nothing special but nothing bad. there were choices in fable but there wern't really any concequences.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Relayer71 said:
Bethesda seems to pride itself on all the design choices I absolutely hated in Oblivion: watered down character growth system, simplified dialogue, hand holding, accessible (read: generic) main quest.
Ugh, you fucking apologetic. I love action games, adventures and action adventures. Oblivion sucks in every possible way. I can only suppose that people like it because it fills some kind of void, and people take shit over nothing. I can only asume I don't crave roleplaying enough, because I prefer no RPG over a shit RPG.

Relayer71

Liturgist
I did say "somewhat" decent, not exactly calling it the greatest adventure/action game ever. Which is to say it does that much better than it does the RPG thing - not by much though. Calling it Grand Theft Auto in a fantasy world isn't exactly a stretch as far as genres are concerned.

I'm hoping Beth does make a worthy RPG of FO3 though. Not for the sake of the Fallout franchise but for the sake of the Elder Scrolls franchise.

Fallout has already established itself with an excellent classic of an RPG and a worthy sequel. The Elder Scrolls world had so much potential but we haven't seen a great ES game yet and instead of improving upon Morrowind and its expansion packs (which were well done) they took even more steps back with Oblivion.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Unradscorpion said:
Fuck no, GTA is fun, Oblivion is not, get over it.

OMG, readiing comprehension FTW. I said as far as GENRE, as far as structure. I did not say Oblivion was as fun as GTA or better than GTA or fun at all.

J1M

Arcane
Relayer71 said:
Unradscorpion said:
Fuck no, GTA is fun, Oblivion is not, get over it.

OMG, readiing comprehension FTW. I said as far as GENRE, as far as structure. I did not say Oblivion was as fun as GTA or better than GTA or fun at all.
PICK A SIDE OR THE NET WILL PICK IT FOR YOU!

Xi

Arcane
J1M you need to take a basic statistics class, then you'll realize the stupidity of what you just said.

LRP

Novice
I thought I had a pretty good imagination, really. I knew it was not going to be very good, already waiting to buy it bargin bin and 'perhaps' take a look at it. But, hell not worth the spending of any money on it, it's sounding worse than I ever thought possible or imagined.

Bethesda have stated Fallout 3 has no vehicles. But evidence leads us to think there'll be a robot horse. Madness? Well, when the game loads, retro '50s-style adverts cycle past for things in the game. 'Giddyup buttercup', a robot pony for little girls. "He neighs, he trots, he loves you a lot!" says the ad. Such a huge game without any transport? Really?"

Surely that can't be true?! It's got to be just an ad, not really going to be something THIS lame? I wonder if it'll come in colors?

The Deathclaw a mutated grizzly bear? ORELY?

if you found Cyrodiil's vast openness daunting or the RPG mechanics too complicated, Fallout 3 might not be the game for you. Especially since the game is ten times as customizable.

WHO do these guys find to review their stuff, they must deliberately seek out people at their level? Has to be someone that really doesn't know what they're talking about at all right? What a bunch of crap that entire review was.

And below was far and away the most sad thing I read. It just sums up the sorry state things are getting to, and was actually even depressing. IMO games are for telling stories, and about good and evil, and so many things they can be. I've even used the better ones such as PsT as teaching tools with high school kids. It is going the very most wrong direction, but I honestly think this sums up the people at Bethesda, Todd and Pete and all of them. It is pointless to expect depth in a game where the people that make them are so obviously lacking in depth themselves and are emotionally fixated at the junior high level. No wonder the Aussies banned the thing, it's got no redeeming features what so ever!

Finally VD? You're going to review this crap? Why? And you're not going to be paying for this game are you, was getting THEM to buy it part of the deal? It's going to take a lot to actually hange in there and give it the proper play doing a good review needs!

Q: Do you have an underlying message in Fallout 3 - apocalyptic movies and books usually do...

A: Different people sacrifice different things to survive, and blowing them into bloody-chunks is often hilarious

:shock:

Badgermaster

Educated
LRP said:
The Deathclaw a mutated grizzly bear? ORELY?

Maybe Bethesda confused Fallout with "Bad Blood".

badbloodurse.jpg

Relayer71

Liturgist
OMG! Bad Blood sucked so much.
Lousiest interface ever, took up like 75% of the screen!
And the combat was worse than Arcanum's real time.

Badgermaster

Educated
Relayer71 said:
OMG! Bad Blood sucked so much.
Lousiest interface ever, took up like 75% of the screen!
And the combat was worse than Arcanum's real time.

Yes, yes, and yes.

At least I'm not the only person who remembers that POS...

Chefe

Erudite
Decline of the Codex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom