Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Firewatch

What do you think of Firewatch?

• I liked it, I am under 30 and never played Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight, Full Throttle, etc.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I liked it, I am under 30 and have played Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight, Full Throttle, etc.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I liked it, I am over 30 but have not played Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight, Full Throttle, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I liked it, I am over 30 and have played Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight, Full Throttle, etc.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • It was ok.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • It's a piece of shit, I am under 30 and have never played classic Adventure Games.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • It's a piece of shit, I am under 30 but have played classic Adventure Games.

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • It's a piece of shit, I am over 30 but have never played classic Adventure Games.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a piece of shit, I am over 30 and have played classic Adventure Games.

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Never played it

Votes: 37 52.1%

• Total voters

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anonymous poll. I am just curious.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
looks like a shit game, what tricked you into playing it in the first place?

genuinely curious since you seem so butthurt about it

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Seemed like a shitty walking simulator with mundane conversations where nothing happens in the same vein as Gone Home.

eJt6F2C.png

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Never played it but I'm still sure that it's a shitty artsy hipster walking simulator where everything is shit.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Never played it but I'm still sure that it's a shitty artsy hipster walking simulator where everything is shit.
It is exactly that. But it doesn't even simulate walking because there is one linear 6 foot wide path that is surrounded by invisible walls.

looks like a shit game, what tricked you into playing it in the first place?

genuinely curious since you seem so butthurt about it
I am pretty butthurt, not so much that it is a bad game, but that so many people like it and it gets such good reviews, and is constantly on steam front page.

I hate stories in games and dialogue, so thought I would see what people considered one of the best just to see if it was any different to what I usually hate. I completed the whole thing in 2 hours flat, no exaggeration, and there was zero gameplay, the whole thing is like a monologue, you get to make a few dialogue choices which have zero impact on the rest of the game, there are objects all over the place which you can click on but you can't pick up, and there is no inventory anyway, when walking there are 3 paths surrounded by invisible walls which all lead back to the start in a loop, and the story itself has the worst ending of any story. It is just a really bad game, but barely even a game since there is no gameplay. It should have been a short story, a bad one.

What also annoys me is that all the story fags who defend the game, could have played countless others with better stories, that actually have good gameplay too. All the adventure games of the 90s are much better, but they are forgotten because they are old.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The worst is that these people have just not realized that they are actually just watching a movie. A shitty one where they have to walk from A to B to see the next scene.

But who cares those people are worthless biomass who worry more about the style of the graphics than anything else. Catering to whatever the latest fad is, yesterday blue or piss brown and today hand painted.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Honestly, it's a decent game. It's mostly a disguised walking simulator with pretty graphics, it has an interesting plot with believable characters, and it even made me wanna go take an hike in the moutains. It's worth a playthrough.

Just don't listen the garbage cult following around it.

Ivan

Arcane
the best moment in Firewatch is the tension after you get whacked behind the head. Up until then you felt alone, then there's this sense that there's something stalking you. the whole, someone standing right behind you right now, feel. of course the VA is very well done too. for a 2 hour experience, there are worse ways to pass your time torrenting.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
the best moment in Firewatch is the tension after you get whacked behind the head. Up until then you felt alone, then there's this sense that there's something stalking you. the whole, someone standing right behind you right now, feel. of course the VA is very well done too. for a 2 hour experience, there are worse ways to pass your time torrenting.
They play that tension music to make you scared something is going to happen and you get all excited. Then nothing happens. And then it ends. There are a million better ways to spend 2 hours.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
As stated in the post above, barely any. But I'm of the opinion that games are more than just gameplay, especially if they manage to hold my interest for a certain amount of time, which I believe Firewatch does.

It creates a mood, an ambiance that's worth exploring.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
How is it a decent game? What gameplay does it have?
As stated in the post above, barely any. But I'm of the opinion that games are more than just gameplay,

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

He is right. There is such a thing as interactive storytelling, interactive movies, or other experience novelties. They are classified as games because they're run on consoles or on 3D hardware, but why the hell because it's controlled with a PAD, mouse/leyboard, should it be something you play ?
This is pretty much how Sega summed up Shenmue in old trailers "Not a movie. Not a game.". There is absolutely nothing wrong with the likes of Firewatch and others. It's not your cup of tea, then move to something else. A lot of people wouldn't consider PS:T a game because it's mostly spent reading either.

"It's called a game, duurrrr hurrrr"
"If I wanted to read I'd buy a book durrr hurrr"

Jesus christ.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It doesn't matter if it is a story game or not, what matters is that the story is garbage, the whole thing is over in 2 hours and only 10 minutes of that are story. This isn't an interactive story, there is too much walking and bullshit for that. Don't defend something that is terrible and indefensible.

GrainWetski

Arcane
As stated in the post above, barely any. But I'm of the opinion that games are more than just gameplay,

He is right. There is such a thing as interactive storytelling, interactive movies, or other experience novelties. They are classified as games because they're run on consoles or on 3D hardware, but why the hell because it's controlled with a PAD, mouse/leyboard, should it be something you play ?
This is pretty much how Sega summed up Shenmue in old trailers "Not a movie. Not a game.". There is absolutely nothing wrong with the likes of Firewatch and others. It's not your cup of tea, then move to something else. A lot of people wouldn't consider PS:T a game because it's mostly spent reading either.

Jesus christ.

Shenmue has Virtua Fighter-esque combat. Don't group it up with these shitty "games" you like.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Leave him his little dream that he is playing a game just because it runs on a computer.

In the near future such "games" will run on the TV
Excel is also running on a computer and has 10,000% more gameplay

I know there is no point to it but I find the naive pride of someone in something that sucks so much deeply provoking. Just like in school we would beat up smaller kids if they were wearing Harry Potter stuff.
No sympathy for the Firewatch generation, they should just fuck off from gaming forums. If we let them freely exist here there will be soon hundreds of Firewatch or Dear Esther-like threads in the future, insulting and completely polluting our time looking for gaming discussion.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Jesus christ.

Shenmue has Virtua Fighter-esque combat. Don't group it up with these shitty "games" you like.

You're right. There is a grand total of three, maybe four battles that are interesting in both games.
Would you call Shenmue a fighting game ? The battles serve in general the exact same purpose than the QTEs. They break the monotony of the cutscene fest and add some pace to the story. They are clearly not the focus of gameplay, even if the game started as a Virtual Fighter RPG.

"Remember Shenmue ?"
"Oh yeah, great battles !"

Who the hell answers that ?

ds

Cipher
Patron
Probably just the Valve time distortion field at work.

They did work on Alyx though AFAIR.

wishbonetail

Learned
Ending was abrupt in "wtf was that" kind of way. Otherwise it was ok i guess. For a walking sim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom