Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FF13 Midnight Release - How many of you tools...

Ermm

Erudite
Clockwork Knight said:
Rasputin said:
Did he just SAID THAT???????????

Japanese RPGs to Western RPGs by using screenshots of Hit Man and Tomb Raider as an example.

This is even beyond Bethesda. How much lower can we get?

Uh...it's Toryiama. A jap. I don't think he gives a shit. It's less "beth retardation" and more "look at the sort of games these baka gaijins play".

Not to mention Hitman is a full fledged rpg compared to the average jrpg :)

At least Beth guys are capable of telling decent examples. But Tomb Raider and Hitman? At least he could have compare it to Dragon Age which I doubt they haven't heard of.
If he mentions Tomb Raider in RPG comparison then yes he is a retard.

And yes I know he doesn't give a shit but he is comparing JRPGS to WESTERN RPG's so he needs to give a little shit about what he is telling.

A user named cat

DriacKin said:
Phantasmal said:
This game looks like a massive downgrade from XII, why didn't they just continue the series with that as a basis? That game was such a breath of fresh air in the JRPG department; non-linearity, good translation, some actual quality voice acting, intriguing plot and adult characters.
wut?
Have you even played it or do I need to explain everything? The only really childish characters are Vaan and Penelo, the rest of the cast and surrounding party are adults and actually act/speak maturely for JRPG standards. The plot steers away from typical save-the-world rubbish, instead focusing more on politics, trust issues and such. As for linearity:

Damn man, how utterly linear. Forced into following a single path, so many straight corridors and no freedom to roam. wut

Ermm

Erudite
Well if FF tards are squeking that the game is too linear then there are some problems.
Square Enix said that they are staying to FFXIII formula so if you are FF fan then you can start give up all hope.

They can just make a CGI movie with such ''complicated'' story as they want.

Wait..... They maked one. And it tanked veeery hard.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Phantasmal said:
The only really childish characters are Vaan and Penelo, the rest of the cast and surrounding party are adults and actually act/speak maturely for JRPG standards
Says it all.

random_encounter

Educated
Rasputin said:
For fuck's sake this shit is beyond believe. Just straight from the interview with FFXIII team:

Toriyama also compared Japanese RPGs to Western RPGs by using screenshots of Hit Man and Tomb Raider as an example. His point was that in Western games, the game is played through the player's perspective, not the character's. In Japanese RPGs, the view is from a third-party bird's eye view. He said that in Japan, people want to see a film and not necessarily identify with the character, but observe and enjoy the movement and emotions of the character. The Japanese feel comfortable as a third-party bystander.
Not every Western game uses FP. And Hit Man and Tomb Raider aren't RPGs which makes his comparison incredibly embarrassing.

Blackadder said:
Thank god I grew up with computers and not consoles.
Grew up with both here. Right now, I'm trying to find a reason to keep playing FFXIII outside of the graphics. Compared to what Square (prior to being Square-Enix) had put out in the past, the game is garbage.

Rasputin said:
Well if FF tards are squeking that the game is too linear then there are some problems.
Square Enix said that they are staying to FFXIII formula so if you are FF fan then you can start give up all hope.
Right now, FFXIII is coming across as another "Square experiment gone wrong"...like the movie, or the Draw system in FFVIII. I can only imagine the designers on the Enix side of the company looking at this and wondering to themselves what possessed Square's flagship devs to go batshit insane.

FFXIII is the most linear RPG that I've played in recent memory. I'd probably have to go back to the PS1 to find something comparable. I had even loaded up FFXII to remind myself of what they used to be able to do.

Sceptic said:
Phantasmal said:
The only really childish characters are Vaan and Penelo, the rest of the cast and surrounding party are adults and actually act/speak maturely for JRPG standards
Says it all.

I didn't see any problem with their dialogue, not any stupider than the average wrpg character. Vaan and Penelo are 16, so they sometimes act dumb (so the older characters can explain things to them, and to the player as a consequence).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Sceptic said:
Phantasmal said:
Says it all.

You never played it right?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'll admit right there that I was trolling and skip the EmoVamp-style accusations of weaboo faggotry and the vitriolic responses that would get me.

Played it only briefly. It was alright actually and dialog was less awkward than X. Not my type of game and the crazy linear levels kill it completely for me but it doesn't seem half bad otherwise. I was tempted to make fun of "JRPG standards" for dialog until I read CK's post and remembered WRPG's standards for dialog... all in all it compares favorably to both.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Phantasmal said:
DriacKin said:
Phantasmal said:
This game looks like a massive downgrade from XII, why didn't they just continue the series with that as a basis? That game was such a breath of fresh air in the JRPG department; non-linearity, good translation, some actual quality voice acting, intriguing plot and adult characters.
wut?
Have you even played it or do I need to explain everything? The only really childish characters are Vaan and Penelo, the rest of the cast and surrounding party are adults and actually act/speak maturely for JRPG standards. The plot steers away from typical save-the-world rubbish, instead focusing more on politics, trust issues and such. As for linearity:

Damn man, how utterly linear. Forced into following a single path, so many straight corridors and no freedom to roam. wut

+1, Vaan and PEnelo were annoying, but all in all the game was one of the better jRPGs.

I still kinda got bored and snoozequit, but it was solid.

obediah

Erudite
My copy came from amazon today. I'll take a break from Avernum 6 and play it for an hour so I can join the rant. :)

EDIT: Ha!Ha! silly black guy can't ride a dragon worth shit. I think I'm almost at my limit.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Loving Jaspers comment, but i don't really care how linear the game is cos the graphcis is sick in this one and it's a must get, i hope like the tradition of Final fantasy Games , this one includes an airship and chocobos.

Cassidy

Arcane
Felix said:
What so great about the graphics ?

I suppose that people who masturbate to drawings of shemales with huge eyes and tiny noses being assraped by tentacles enjoy them.

A user named cat

I hadn't looked it up before, but I never knew FF XII was so hated. At Gamefaqs, it has a ton of negative reviews even from diehard FF twats. I guess it just didn't feature enough weeeaboo nonsense for them to swallow.

It's sad that when Square finally released a more mature RPG and evolved beyond their typical shit, even getting a good translation and such, it got so much hatred.

lightbane

Arcane
that's because if my sources are right the game wanted to be more mature. However the director fell ill when it was still being developed and in consequence was rushed. Probably the fanboys hate the game for this without bothering to check if the game itself deserves attention...

Oh wait, I'm just deluding myself, the real reason why it's not liked it's surely because for the apparent lack of sephirot wannabes/emoprotagonists and/or overcompensating weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom