Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fantasy and Scifi Colliide

Andhaira

Arcane
Ok we had arcanum that had magick and technology; how about taknig things a notch further and having a fantasy medieval world with sorcery, which is then invaded by extra terrestrials in spaceships!

The game starts after this and you can choose to be with the alien faction (lasers, guns, futuristic gadgets etc) or play a traditional fantasy character (swords, sorcery, etc)

Thoughts?

Discuss!!

NotAnAlt

Educated
This sounds rediculous but in a fun way. Aslong as you powered up to magic to be equal to LZOR beams then it could be interesting.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Well, Fallout 3 was essentially a stereotypical fantasy setting just with a bunch of guns and computers.

spectre

Arcane
Help yourself to some Might and Magic, you'll get just that.

Qkieu

Educated
It will not be anything new ;]

Both M&M (my personal favourite) and Wizardry are p. good.

NotAnAlt

Educated
Wizardry wasn't quite the same. It wasn't tech vs magic or mages vs aliens.

Also i remember using allot more swords and spells than guns or devices.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Pen and Paper RPGs have versions of this, and some do it well:
Shadowrun
Dragonstar
and some do it well in places, not so well in rules systems:
RIFTS

Theres 3 Shadowrun computer/videogames
and 1 RIFTS : Promise of Power game made only for Nokia phones

A classic CRPG based on the PnP RPG Skyrealms of Jorune, called Alien Logic also mixes fantasy with Sci Fi and does it well.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Warhamer 40K universe is in the same universe as Warhammer fantasy but in a different time period.

mondblut

Arcane
Spellcross was a fun late-90s isometric TB strategy pitting modern military against the invading hordes of orcs and dragons. It was DOS-based, I think, so should run with dosbox.

Yet, fantasy/scifi crossovers fucking suck.

obediah

Erudite
AndhairaX said:
Ok we had arcanum that had magick and technology; how about taknig things a notch further and having a fantasy medieval world with sorcery, which is then invaded by extra terrestrials in spaceships

How about we have a medieval world with no fantasy or sorcery, which is then invaded by extra terrestrials in spaceships with sorcery.

Pablosdog

Prophet
it sounds like Jrpg nonsense...Star ocean has that EXACT SAME STORYLINE for every one of it's games.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
obediah said:
AndhairaX said:
Ok we had arcanum that had magick and technology; how about taknig things a notch further and having a fantasy medieval world with sorcery, which is then invaded by extra terrestrials in spaceships

How about we have a medieval world with no fantasy or sorcery, which is then invaded by extra terrestrials in spaceships with sorcery.

The premise and storyline of "Hard to be a God" is similar to this concept.

grockts

Novice
Alas, there seem to be very few sci-fi rpg out there, so many folks have done the sword and sorcery route that I am almost ready to give up my left testicle for a good Gamma World based game.
In the pen and paper market they did combine magic and tech but even thought the game markets follow the magic route with almost every variation imagined they never seem to have caught on to the tech side very well.
Now I know what some of you are thinking, they point to City of Heros (who are fools to pay for that crap) and Star Wars Galaxies which I know little about other than they cheap attempt to cash in on the movies fame.
But REALLY look at what they offer on each side and you should agree that fantasy is just about done to death and sci-fi is ALMOST untouched.
Where are our MAD SCIENTISTS, OUR ROBOTIC MINIONS (not those japanesse poser giant super samuri robot thingies they pump out like McDonalds kids meal toys)
Where are our SCOUT SHIPS searching where no man has gone before and survived.
But most of all where are ALL THE ACTUAL FREAKING GAME PLOTS, questing is ok but one looks for other avenues large and small, give us INTRIGUE, give us PLOT TWISTS, AND FOR THE LOVE OF A GOOD STORY GIVE US DIALOGUE THAT ISNT ENDLESS DRIBBLE RESEMBLING A POLITICIANS PUBLIC PROMISE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom