Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 or Valkyria Chronicles: which did it better?

Severian Silk

Fallout 3 and Valkyria Chronicles are two contemporary console titles which tried to create (or were hyped as creating) a TB/RT hybrid system. Which did it better? Which failed?

(I haven't played either, but am tempted to play VC.)

bhlaab

Erudite
Valkyria Chronicles is more of a strategy game like final fantasy tactics, isn't it?

MetalCraze

Arcane
There was no TB/RT hybrid system in Fallout 3. You just queued your actions and then the game played itself.

Severian Silk

MetalCraze said:
You just queued your actions
Arguably, the selection phase of the turn.
MetalCraze said:
and then the game played itself.
And the execution phase.

Just like Battle Isle! :lol:

Seriously though, the game was often hyped as such, and if it fails in this regard then VM is obviously the winner! Both, IMO, are examples of companies trying to catch on to a trend (the same trend in this case). Thus they're directly comparable.

Black

Arcane
It's "which and why".
Don't worry, it happens to newbies.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Assnuggets said:
MetalCraze said:
You just queued your actions
Arguably, the selection phase of the turn.
MetalCraze said:
and then the game played itself.
And the execution phase.

Just like Battle Isle! :lol:

Seriously though, the game was often hyped as such, and if it fails in this regard then VM is obviously the winner! Both, IMO, are examples of companies trying to catch on to a trend (the same trend in this case). Thus they're directly comparable.

FO3 and VC are completely different games. Fallout is a shooter with bullet time and some RPG elements and VC is kind of like Desperados with some RPG elements and anime style. If I had a console and had to choose one game I'd go with VC.

Solivagant

Novice
VC is turn-based. What looks like "real-time" is when you're moving a character, if an enemy sees you he'll shoot at you for a bit, but not move. Its basically like the "interrupts" from Jagged Alliance or Attacks of Oportunity from DnD 3rd edition (don't know if the 4th still has that).

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
Hümmelgümpf said:
Nutcracker said:
It's still Jap shit.
TB Jap shit > RT American shit. Now excuse me, I'm off to play some more Disgaea 3.

How is it in comparison to the previous Disgaea games, and other N1 games (phantom brave/makai kingdom/etc)?

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
124014995988.gif

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
Hümmelgümpf said:
WholesaleGenocide said:
How is it in comparison to the previous Disgaea games, and other N1 games (phantom brave/makai kingdom/etc)?
No idea. I don't have a PS2.

Neither do I, I'm just running it on an emulator. All n1 games run notoriously well on it, and even run on pretty shit computers (mine is athlon 3800+ dual core, x850 radeon, 2gb RAM, XP -- game runs at full 60 fps)

I suspect I won't be playing Disgaea 3 until a PS3 emulator comes out, as I rarely buy games or consoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom