Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3/NV hacking minigame

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
just watched a few of the streams and videos this week and was reminded of something

everyone who streamed or did videos of fallout 3 and new vegas is terrible at that minigame, i've only played fallout 3 but i don't think i've ever failed an attempt or had to restart, it's like the easiest thing ever

why are people so retarded?

I.C. Wiener

Educated
after hacking the billionth fucking computer in FO3 I got sick of playing word games and just save scummed and clicked until I got it right. Same with lockpicking. f9 e f f9 e f etc. I prefer the way VTMB did lockpicking/hacking.

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be too many locked computers in FONV. I've been playing for about 9 hours and I only encountered one. Locks are all over the goddamn place though but that minigame is slightly less abhorrent.

For FO3 just find a mod that uses scripts to check your lockpick or science skill and determine whether or not you're successful. No more playing the same mini-game you've done a thousand times. I know Fallout Wanderer's Edition has one.

New Vegas probably won't have one for a little bit, though.

Stalin

Scholar
Ancient said:
consolefag's probably
and don't forget codexers are ELITE Gamers :smug:
NAME ONE elite THING TO COME OUT OF YOUR CABBAGE SMELLING TOILET OF A COUNTRY
(CAPS INTENDED)

Topher

Cipher
Dragula said:
I prefer the way Deus Ex made hacking.

As long as you had enough tools you could always hack something and the tools were rare enough that you couldn't afford to hack very often if you had a low skill level. It made resource management a park of hacking and wasn't too prohibitive if you had a low skill level it just meant that hacking became a huge drain on your supplies and you had to give up other resources to be able to afford the extra tools but the balance always felt right to me.

ChristofferC

Magister
Tools aren't rare in Desu Ex. When I play I have 15-20 tools all the time. I spend enough points in electronics so that each tool reduces the strength by 25%.

Topher

Cipher
ChristofferC said:
Tools aren't rare in Desu Ex. When I play I have 15-20 tools all the time. I spend enough points in electronics so that each tool reduces the strength by 25%.

I meant that tools become rare if you don't invest in hacking because it ends up taking so many tools for every thing you want to bypass. Without a skill investment you'd either need to be very selective in what you hack or sacrifice other resources so that you could gain additional tools. In my games I always max hacking and have more then enough tools to bypass everything I come across but I remember it being quite different if you left hacking a level 1 because each bypass would always cost several tools.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Doesn't the first skill level already give you those 25%? That was all I ever needed, thanks to the tools being so common. And a lot of times, when you may want to use a tool, you can just find a keycard or hack or even bypass it some way.

Memory might be awry though!

hoochimama

Liturgist
Ancient said:
consolefag's probably

Most "elite" individuals never figured out you can remove duds and replenish your attempts by selecting the parenthesis/brackets pairs.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
hoochimama said:
Most "elite" individuals never figured out you can remove duds and replenish your attempts by selecting the parenthesis/brackets pairs.

Really? :lol:

Yeah, you can even be lazy and just skim through the whole screen and see if a big group of characters highlights. It's better to do it after you guessed once or twice, so you can take advantage of possible replenishes.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Stalin said:
Ancient said:
consolefag's probably
(CAPS INTENDED)

You're one to talk SVENSKE FAEN!

Stalin

Scholar
deus101 said:
Stalin said:
Ancient said:
consolefag's probably
(CAPS INTENDED)

You're one to talk SVENSKE FAEN!
this:

1287678558585.jpg

Inziladun

Magister
The hacking game is easy, but it gets old after awhile.

Also something i've noticed in new vegas is that it gets bugged(?) once in awhile and the password isn't actually a word but a symbol. That'd make it pretty much impossible to hack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom