Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 interview and new screens

Stargazey

Novice
It sounds and looks a bit like they're aiming for Bioshock on land with some patented Bethesda failed drizzled on for good measure.

I've never played the first two but this sure looks like a departure from what the series is supposed to be like.

But hey, Todd says he's super serious:

"To say we care about Fallout would be an epic understatement. We are excited/humbled to be the ones to bring it back. I know we don’t have all the right answers, or the one’s you would make when it comes to how it should be or look. We can only do what we think is right and what makes us the most excited, and that’s what we’ve done. We’ve left no stone unturned in trying to find Fallout’s “soul”, but those decisions are ours, not yours. I just hope you give the game a look and decide if that soul is there for you."

<3 Todd. <3.

Texas Red

Whiner
If they're such big fans then why did they steal the license from Troika, who wanted it themselves?

slipgate_angel

Scholar
like blowing up Megaton. It's clearly bad to nuke an entire town. It's clearly bad to kill innocent people throughout the game, and your karma is affected. It's also clearly good to help people in need, giving to charity, passing out clean water, and more.
Great...so why even bother being evil? For shits and giggles? Couldn't they givin us a choice that had some actuall thought, or meaning?

The sceens are looking better IMO, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

dark Individual said:
If they're such big fans then why did they steal the license from Troika, who wanted it themselves?
For some who know of Fallout, it would be a great honor to do a new game in the series. Although this is a bit different, because Interplay didn't even bother to look into Bethesda softwares past games, and just handed it to a bunch of wet behind the ears videogame developers.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind some of the changes being done on Fallout 3. I don't mind the V.A.T.S combat system, the change in art direction, or the focus on console players. What I do mind is the changing of some of the behavior of the races outside of humans, the crazy new weapons such as fatman, and the recently announced change to have all traits go into perks.

If this continues, then the game will fail, with a capitol F...after all, look what happened when Unlimited Saga, or Breath of fire: dragon quarter came out.

DoppelG

Scholar
Ausir said:
Also, perks and traits were merged because Todd doesn't see the difference:

Ok, time for some, perhaps, bad news. Traits have been rolled into Perks. That was a hard decision for us, and one that took, literally, years. We kept coming back to it, and re-discussing it, and once we were playing the game, found that the difference between the two systems was so similar that even half the entries in the community "design a perk" contest were actually traits. Take "Bloody Mess" for example, probably the most famous trait. Is the game really more fun if that can only be taken at the very start? Why can't you pick it at level 6? What's so important about having it only at the start? The perk choice is probably one of the most fun parts of the game, and to relegate certain ones to only be chosen when you first start, before you've even played the game and know how any of it feels, just didn't prove as fun to us. How do you know you want Bloody Mess if you haven't seen how bloody the current mess is? (did I just type that?) Anyway, trust me when I say this one was a debate, a long one, and a decision we're not naive enough to think will be understood or applauded by everyone.

So, like merging axes and hammers....?
I mean, why FORCE people to make that hard "trait" or "hammer or axe" decision? People are dumb, so we need to keep the game dumb, they don't understand that axes are sharp and hammers blunt and if they do then they don't want to make such a complex choice. Same with traits, don't force them in making a complex and potentially gamedefining choice at charactercreation. No, they want meaningless choices between meaningless skills and facegen wich has no affect on the game whatsoever. I'm sure it won't be understood (lol, who's daft enough to NOT understand Bethesda's dumbing down franchises?) or applauded by everyone.

denizsi

Arcane
Todd said:
At the same time, I've never really viewed Fallout 2 as a direct continuation, since it's not a "here's what the hero did next" sequel

The fuck? TES1-2, 2-3, 3-4?

Lumpy said:
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/fallout3screens/fanscreens/megatonbar.jpg
Damn fine looking graphics, though. Can't say there's anything wrong with that picture. Except for being from Fallout 3, of course.

Textures are just terrible. They look like they are from Morrowind. Doom 3 has better textures.

That barman is a.... zombie! Why isn't it attacking and shambling mindelesly arround???
Seriously though, does that mean there WILL BE some ghouls you can talk with?That barman is a.... zombie! Why isn't it attacking and shambling mindelesly arround???
Seriously though, does that mean there WILL BE some ghouls you can talk with?

I think he just has a burned up face. Perhaps a behemoth dropped his radioactive load on his face.

The graphics aren't bad, they just offer no stylistic change from any other Dx9-10 graphics we've seen. Play any random shooter and you will hardly be able to tell a difference.

Are you kidding? There are so many games, starting from several years before that look above and beyond anything in any of the sceenshots.

Who cares about the graphics though?

Bethesda does. That's why it's so pathetic.

They are making it for xbox360 as well. They had to cut the graphics stuff so the game could show playable framerates on this old piece of junk.

There are games on X360 that does way better. It's just that, Beth is full of shitty programmers.

Rest assured. While the graphics may not be as spiffily hyped as Oblivion's, most gamers won't be able to run it at the medium, aka playable, settings. Most of the complaints (such as: "HALP! why wont FO run???") will be because the video/sound/system will fail because the game refuses to acknowledge cheap, rubbish technology. It's only money.

Ie. shitty programming, near non-existent optimization.

It sounds and looks a bit like they're aiming for Bioshock on land with some patented Bethesda failed drizzled on for good measure.

I thought the same. Funny thing is, they just don't get it. From what I can see, they really seem to be thinking that "borrowing" any "feature" without giving a damn about the rest will make it at least equally good as the source.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind some of the changes being done on Fallout 3. I don't mind the V.A.T.S combat system, the change in art direction, or the focus on console players. What I do mind is the changing of some of the behavior of the races outside of humans, the crazy new weapons such as fatman, and the recently announced change to have all traits go into perks.

WRONG! All those you counted are insignificantly trivial. What you, or anyone should mind is that it's just Bethesda doing the game, which means elementary story, elementary characters and elementary game world logic: "for morons by morons". Choices that matter, interesting dialogue that's affected by many things outside just one speech skill, coherence in story. That neither of these will make it into the game is what people should mind.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Dark Individual said:

They didn't, boyarsky himself came in here and said as much. Much crow was served around these here parts.

DoppelG

Scholar
Other viewpoint: i feel Bethesda has come to the point that they just don't give a fuck anymore, i really hope Bethesda stops trying to minimally please people who played Fallout and atleast liked it. Its time for Bethesda to let it go, go all out, dumb the game the fuck down, don't try and hold true to any Fallout conventions, fuck it alll up, then i will be pleased and i can begin to hope that one day someone will make a true Fallout sequel. I'm long past the point wishing the best from the game, its nearing event horizon and instead of wishing it won't be fucked up too badly i now wish it goes all the way and back again. Bad news from Fallout 3 has become soothing and calming, it just reinforces what i already knew the whole time, its kind of... bliss.

Mareus

Magister
I actually don't blame Bethseda so much as I blame the media. I mean you would hope that after Oblivion some media would say, fuck.. I cant suck Bethcrap's cock anymore. But no, they go and suck Bethcrap's cock even more and as a result you have horny retards running around and saying, did you see what score Oblivion got? It was 95% on Gamespot. I bet FO3 will be even better. Wheather we want to admit it or not, it is the media that shapes the minds of simple people.

PS. I can understand some kid who never played original Fallouts to like FO3 and Bethseda, but when I hear it from people who actually loved originals it just makes me sick, and some of those people are in the media.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Well yes, it's true that the media is the heart of the problem, but the individuals just aren't as visible as producers and such, so we tend to blame them for everything. We have to remember that the free media is supposed to be balance against the ones in power trying to manipulate people for their own gain.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I'd be surprised if this game is half as succesfull as oblivion was, that game came out at a time when the 360 was experiencing the post launch game drought, it had the tasteless hyping the games graphics years before it's release. FO3 hype will be drowned out by Gears of war 2 on the 360 and by resistance 2, bioshock, and killzone 2 on the ps3 side.

Mareus

Magister
fizzelopeguss said:
I'd be surprised if this game is half as succesfull as oblivion was, that game came out at a time when the 360 was experiencing the post launch game drought, it had the tasteless hyping the games graphics years before it's release. FO3 hype will be drowned out by Gears of war 2 on the 360 and by resistance 2, bioshock, and killzone 2 on the ps3 side.

It's obvious Bethseda is aiming for Oblivion fans and when those console fanboys hear words "Oblivion with guns", they will go crazy and buy millions. Besides, every year there is more and more gamers who want more dumbfuckery in games. If it wasn't so I think Bethseda and Troika would have reversed roles by now.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Everything from fallout 3 suggests it's an fps, a poor mans stalker or bioshock. (fuck knows how bethesda dropped a bollock so badly)

The game doesn't seem to have centre stage like how oblivion did.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Except that it's being hyped as a RPG. What exactly makes you think it's less centered in the metaphorical stage than Oblivion?

MetalCraze

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Dark Individual said:

They didn't, boyarsky himself came in here and said as much. Much crow was served around these here parts.

Hmm didn't some NMA article state that Troika showed interest in the F3 license back in 2004? I doubt they could've taken that info out of nothing

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
skyway said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Dark Individual said:

Hmm didn't some NMA article state that Troika showed interest in the F3 license back in 2004? I doubt they could've taken that info out of nothing

I don't believe troika ever put a bid in for the license. Couldn't afford it themselves or the publishers weren't willing to pay the asking price.

EDIT: balls. Atleast all worked out well for leonard, isn't he one of the lead artists on diablo 3? :shock:

Except that it's being hyped as a RPG.

That's just it, i really don't see all that much hype. Do you think there's as much interest in FO3 as there was in mass effect? I don't. :/

What exactly makes you think it's less centered in the metaphorical stage than Oblivion?

Oblivion was all over the show, it was being billed as the game to own. :shock:

Shoelip

Arbiter
FO3 is the next game from the company that made Oblivion.

More than that, Fallout 3 is Oblivion 2. :lol:

DoppelG

Scholar
I think Fallout 3 will do good, if not very good (from Beths standpoint ofc), everywhere i go (metaphorically) people are very excited about FO3 and already call it one of the if not the game of the year, not that i care, but i'm sure the ejaculatinghypepress would be more then pleased to fill in these fuckers empty and meaningless expectations. Wouldn't want to fall out of the boat right (as in, not giving GTA4 a perfect 100, hinthint. Good game imo btw, "imo btw" sounds wrong btw)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom