Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

fallout 2 let's play

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I would like to start fallout 2 let's play. What mods should I use. There was something to restore content and fix bugs. But I can't find it.

spectre

Arcane
You may need the official 1.02 patch to go with killap's as well. It may have been shipped with your game.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I would do Fallout 1 with the FATAL damage (ie, Fallout Revisited) mod but I can't find a working download link. It was on the Polish site but it's broken, and NMA doesn't have it

Melcar

Arcane
I like the Megamod better since it already includes most of the stuff from the restoration thinger and seems to be a bit less buggy. It does add a lot of other stuff, and while most of it can be entertaining, some is just boring and/or out of setting (of course, they're all optional quests, so you can ignore them if you want).
There is also a screen resolution mod (it's included in the Megamod and I think in the Restoration Project as well, but it needs some manual setting up), although when I used it I was not impressed (the game doesn't actually scale, so things remain "blocky", but colors look a little more vibrant if you use the DX shaders patch).

dagorkan

Arbiter
I trust your judgment Melcar, so is the latest version of MIB's Megamod playable? Did you complete the game? How many times did you have to reload a save to get around a bug?

I like some of the additions from the Restoration mod, but found some bugs when I played it this summer and was waiting for v1.3, but have no idea when it is coming out.

Melcar

Arcane
dagorkan said:
I trust your judgment Melcar, so is the latest version of MIB's Megamod playable? Did you complete the game? How many times did you have to reload a save to get around a bug?

I like some of the additions from the Restoration mod, but found some bugs when I played it this summer and was waiting for v1.3, but have no idea when it is coming out.

I managed to beat the game several times with the mod. I played it on Linux though, so I'm not entirely certain if the crashes were mod related or because of Wine, but seeing as the vanilla game also crashes with Wine, I will assume that it's more of Wine's fault. However, it was far more stable that the Restoration patch and I encountered less bugs (relatively speaking, since the Megamod is far larger and has easily twice as much content). The most serious problems I faced was an annoying random crash when I had more than one NPC with me, but that wasn't a problem for me since I just had Skynet with me (Skynet + rocket launcher = a bunch of dead people :o ). Some of the quests did have bugs, like people at the BoS bunker not talking to you after you do some of their quests, the final Kaga encounter (characters would just speak gibberish, but you can still finish the encounter). Just save often and keep more than two back up saves just in case.

Tag

Novice
So the final judgement is that Megamod is a better one? Can anyone give a link?
I am correcting a grave omission, and have just began FO2. (played FO1 many times tho)

Can someone tell me if there's anyway to improve your stats artificially in FO2 like BoS enhancement? If yes, by how much?
Any place to get a large increase in skills as well? (like a whole bunch of books in Hub library)
Which ones?
I am a bit OCD about these things. :roll:
Thanks.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Unlike other posters, I haven't encountered any bugs while playing Fallout 2 with the Restoration project 1.2 (+fixes) two months ago, while I encountered more than a few bugs in Megamod (about a year ago). So, I recommend The Restoration project (+ several additional fixes that can be downloaded by following the links on the RP thread on NMA).
Anyway, both mods can be downloaded at http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload. ... &cat_id=15
Not counting the perks, you can improve most of your stats by 1 (agility can't be improved in a non-modded game, you need the restoration pack to improve it) , luck (xor intelligence) can be improved by 2 and so can charisma. Additionally, Power armor improves strength.

Tag

Novice
So at some point there's gonna be a choice between upgrading Luck OR Inteliigence by two? No way to do both?
Anything like a bunch of skill upgrade books (Hub library) in FO2?
I'm confused, I'd like a second opinion on FO2 mods...

Kavax

Scholar
I prefer the Restoration mod myself. It has less bugs, and it adds great stuff into the game (The peaceful solution to the Raiders, alternate way of going to the enclave, attacking ranger dens as a slaver, freeing Sulik's sister, saving the deathclaws...)

Also, it fixes the Cult of Personality perk, which makes it MUCH easier to play evil characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom