Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fable II had huge design flaws

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fable 2; Lionhead Studios; Peter Molyneux

<p>... says Peter Molyneux. And who else would know it better than him? But of course he learned from his mistakes and so the first thing he did for Fable 3 <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/6269151.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B6" target="_blank">was to create a great cast</a>, the most important thing in game design.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>What He Talked About:</strong> Molyneux started his talk by discussing many of the issues he had with Fable II, saying, &ldquo;It had some terribly messy things about it.&rdquo; He continued, "There were huge design flaws--at one point Fable II had 67,000 bugs." This actually pushed Fable II to a &ldquo;super-black&rdquo; rating, making it completely unsuitable for release. He also criticised many of the features that were implemented, saying many were used just once or twice, such as the marriage feature, which was an &ldquo;excuse to have sex.&rdquo; Molyneux had other annoyances to share about the title, including the menu-driven levelling system, which he referred to as &ldquo;DOS-like,&rdquo; a lack of drama, and the graphical look of women, whom he said, &ldquo;looked like Russian shot putters.&rdquo;</p>
<p>Of course, these are flaws that Molyneux says are fixed in the sequel Fable III. &ldquo;The first thing we did in Fable III was create a great cast,&rdquo; he boasted, referring to the likes of comedian John Cleese who has a part as the butler in the game. The co-op system has been overhauled, allowing gamers to have the same interaction with their co-op buddy as they do with the non-player characters in the world. This includes getting married and experiencing &ldquo;intimate&rdquo; moments, which are &ldquo;not quite as realistic as the real thing, but less messy.&rdquo; Other improvements he mentioned included an overhauled menu system called The Sanctuary, which now takes place entirely in the 3D world, and maps that are four times bigger than those seen in Fable II.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Whooa, four times bigger! That's gonna be farterrific!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>AnalogKid is to blame for this newsitem.</em></p>

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Fable 2 is actually a rather charming little action game with stats and a lot of cheesy world interaction thrown in for good measure. I sure as hell enjoyed it.

CrimHead

Scholar
Dos... Dos-like interfa...

what+the+fuck+am+I+reading.png

Jim Profit

Educated
Four times bigger? Do these people even play their fucking "game"? Do you know how difficult it was to find anything in Fable 2? Not only the amount of space to have to cover, but the fact that there was so many God-damn subsects that it didn't matter how much you played, you had no idea how to fucking get there by teleport and needed to walk. Oh what fun...

The wife glitch I could handle. But there was nothing fun about Fable 2. It was a rialroaded abortion of a videogame that had twenty billion ways to get achievements through grueling sidequests. Like that one where you look all around Albion for a very rare jewel. Doing that shit is time consuming and idiotic with your dog. Without him it's just not possible...

Fable 2 was intended to be a time waster. Not an rpg, not even an adventurer game. It was just something you do inbetween masturbating, going to work, and sleeping. To advertise it as anything else is just purely false, and the entire Lionhead company should be put under a federal lawsuit. Because here in America we've got rules against false advertising. Keep your fag marriage possibilities and ridicoulous sidequests in merry old England you limey bastards.

Jim Profit

Educated
Konjad said:
FABLE 2 WASNT PERFECT?!

U MUST BE KIDDIN ME!
I'll put it this way... Fable 2 was worse then Force Unleashed. That was an honest adventure game. And had two endings without any "roleplaying" involved!

A fucking straight up adventure game had more choices then in Fable 2... This game is so bad, it is only sligjtly better then Gears of War. (Which is so bad I try to avoid even meationing it)

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, it was not. Fable 2 is one of the best RPGs and you're blind if you can't see it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
menu-driven levelling system, which he referred to as “DOS-like,” a lack of drama, and the graphical look of women

Yeah, because DRAMA and WIMMIN is what's important about RPGs.

ALSO LOL LET'S CALL THE TRADITIONAL LEVELING SYSTEM OF RPGs "DOS-LIKE" TO STRESS HOW NON-NEXTGEN IT IS

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JarlFrank said:
menu-driven levelling system, which he referred to as “DOS-like,” a lack of drama, and the graphical look of women

Yeah, because DRAMA and WIMMIN is what's important about RPGs.

ALSO LOL LET'S CALL THE TRADITIONAL LEVELING SYSTEM OF RPGs "DOS-LIKE" TO STRESS HOW NON-NEXTGEN IT IS

That's not all! The worst part of it is:
the graphical look of women

OH THE HORROR!

Achilles

Arcane
Konjad said:
No, it was not. Fable 2 is one of the best RPGs and you're blind if you can't see it.

Well, all that masturbation must have turned Pete blind then, because he sure as hell doesn't think so :)

AnalogKid

Scholar
Jim Profit said:
Fable 2 was intended to be a time waster. Not an rpg, not even an adventurer game. It was just something you do inbetween masturbating...
And apparently they fucked that up with "shot putter" women. I could handle that, but fucking Russian looking? Oh noes!!!

I don't think the original article can be satirized because everything Petey says about what he's going to do to improve FFFFUUUUU 3 is so misguided and beside the point that I don't think you could make up anything more batshit ridiculous.

1eyedking

Erudite
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Whooa, four times bigger! That's gonna be farterrific!
I couldn't help but laugh at this one. VOD's play-on-words are only getting better and better...

Radisshu said:
Uh, dramatical leveling?
What was it he said last time? "Digital relationships"? "Arching emotional 'something' "?

This guy generates so much buzz on such turdy stuff one would mistake him for a fucking human vuvuzela.

Angthoron

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Whooa, four times bigger! That's gonna be farterrific!

:lol:

They should have some sort of a religious order named simply, The Farternity. The members could address each others as Farters.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
CrimsonAngel said:
did we not get the same speech from peter when fable 2 was released.
Yeah. BUT THIS TIME IT'S 100% NO HYPE! PETEY TOLD ME! IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME! ALMOST AS GOOD AS OBLIVIAN!

PETEY REALLY SHOULD MAKE AN OBLIVIAN GAME!
YOU COULD BE TEH IMPOROR! AND PUNISH PEOPLE BY FARTING ON THEIR HEAD! ALSO MAKE IT SO THAT EVERYTIME I FART ON SOMEBODY MY GAMERSCORE RISES!

sorry something just snaped

Jim Profit

Educated
default.jpg

Another retarded aspect of Fable 2 was how your appearance was closely gnitted with your statistics. Which is a bad fucking idea... Fable 2 was basically a Sims game where you can fight. Appearance both of your sprite and ingame sexiness should have no bearing on metagame statistics. But it does. If you improve melee and HP stats, you get buffer and stockier. If you die and don't have ressurection phials, you develops scars that make you ugly.

This was given some lame ass excuse to make you feel a sense of loss when you got your ass kicked and push a skillcurve. Wouldn't just dying and having to start over from your last save do that just fine? The Fable creator is the most retarded shit head on the planet. He just HAS to be a faggot. It would just explain so much...

Like why in Fable 2 you can get fat and disgusting for eating some food, but STDs do not effect your character in anyway. People do not loathe you for being a whore, you don't get herpes all over your face, nothing. God forbid you should implement some negative roleplaying for actually doing something remotely negative!!! The entire alignment system is skewed too because they refused to actually do some work on it. All sidequests amount to saving slaves or assiting in human trafficking. Thats it. And it's too easy to be evil. Murder is equivalent to about three slave rescue missions. The only other way to get good points is to eat certain foods like tofu, or donate bajillions of dollars to this ultra vague church. (And you can only do that later in the game) So the entire premise of good and evil and "choice" is as lackluster as... well as any liberal who claims to be prochoice and it amounts to "hurpdurp! sex and abortions!"

Fable 2 didn't have to live up to it's hype, but it does have a responsibility to live up to it's price tag. If it's going to act like some game made by a fourteen year old who wants to be a game designer, then it should cost that much. Fucking nethack has better alignment variables and far more variety and with less bugs. Meanwhile it's free! You're going to tell me that an entire team of proffessional developers who make good money cannot atleast hold their standards up to that?! They must think you're retarded. And quite frankly we prove them right settling for this shit like it's actually playable... I am devestated by this complete garbage they try to push on us as "fun"!!!

Oh, I did forget the more discreet way to earn good points. Being popular. There's a fine message to send out to the youth. Make people like you by either spending all your money on gifts, having lots of sex and wetting everybody's dicks and pussies, or be a little college bitch and sing tunes off key in hopes of pity points in good alignment. It's sickening. I believe Fable 2 was just an expression of England's world view. Where you got cops all over the place and fucking martial law, people can abuse your dog and make you run silly errands, but you're the evil one if you are rude, unproductive, or callice...

default.jpg

If Fable 2 was a decent rpg, I would've been labled lawful evil. What with keeping my murder rampages down to hookers and gay people. Charging vast sums of rent and price gouging everything just so I could give my wife and kids the world... A poetic and sympathizing character in an otherwise railroaded game with no redeeming qualities.

Maybe Bioware should get the full rights to Fable 2. Atleast then it would have some speech options, multiple endings, and romances that expand beyond coming home to fuck the wife and give her presents... This is precisely why we need a fascist state. That way the state can intervene and penalize bad development!

Ironically an open fascist would lead a less horrible existance then the one presented to us in Fable 2... Where people are treated like garbage, and the authorities think their shit don't stink. Yeah, Fable 2 has realism... in all the wrong ways...

AnalogKid

Scholar
Jim Profit said:
... life story with much fart-induced buthurt ...
Seems like you missed the general idea: Don't play utterly useless fucking console-tard games! (especially if they had huge design flaws. Duh. :oops: )

Jim Profit said:
They must think you're retarded. And quite frankly we prove them right settling for this shit like it's actually playable...
Not doing that is the 'codex raison d'etre.

I'm thinking more and more that Petey is actualy retarded. Or, given his long-long-long ago history of a couple good games, maybe he's got some odd degenerative brain disease. *shrug*

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Well, he made some good games, got full ass of praise and now has the freedom to make his shittiest fantasies into games. If Fable3 will flipflop financially then maybe he'll return to projects with smaller production values but actually good and innovative gameplay. Or not.

Nothing good will be done as long he's Microsoft PR face and bitch.

I welcome the release of a new title in the Fable series. :( I figure that, as soon as Petey gets this Fable bullshit out of his system, maybe that'll get us just a little closer to a Magic Carpet sequel/remake. please oh please oh please :(

Arcanoix

Scholar
DramaticPopcorn said:
experiencing “intimate” moments, which are “not quite as realistic as the real thing, but less messy.”

Whoa...is this man for real? I mean...come on

Less messy? Pass.

On a serious note - someone predicted something along the lines of people f'ing around with this and that it would be something "like the Wii", it was some amateur comic. Can anyone post the picture? I mean it's somewhat significant in that it was predicted months before Project Natal was even announced. It showed some fat white kid on one side of the screen and the other side was an obese black woman, I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom