Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Explain good/bad encounter design to me

1eyedking

Erudite
thesisko said:
Here's an idea:

Why not put DLC to good use and sell a different difficulty tuning, playtested by hardcore players instead of the usual idiots. Maybe if developers got extra cash for a real hard mode they wouldn't need to phone it in. I know I'd gladly pay $10 to have a MotB tuned by Sawyer.
This is actually an excellent idea.

1eyedking

Erudite
Saark said:
I totally agree. The problem with DA:O really derives from its system. It's just not as complex as a game that is based on some pen and paper which is being developed for like 20 years already.
Bullshit. Also, apologism 101.

DA:O's combat sucked because it was scripted as fuck (in a very bad way), and the combat itself was a clusterfuck built around insta-stunning abilities that really dragged the momentum of encounters down, stupid MMORPG mechanics such as aggro, shared inventory, "complex" spreadsheet design (read: big, meaningless numbers à la 574.3 dps against a 2581.2 hp monster, how long will it last LOL), and a myriad of other bad things such as bad item design (particularly unimaginative use of damage type), class restrictions and abilities, monster types (undead? demons? just like orcs LOL), etc.

So no, combat in DA:O was terribad and only gullible dumbfucks think of it as 'deep and 'complex'.

Gord

Arcane
1eyedking said:

Care to elaborate? Also, butthurt 101.

No really, I would agree with getting upset about fanboyish Biowhores, but this have been quite resonable posts, while you are throwing around exaggerated and made-up platitudes. Sorry, but this herp-derp bashing is really getting ridiculous sometimes.

1eyedking said:
thesisko said:
Here's an idea:

Why not put DLC to good use and sell a different difficulty tuning, playtested by hardcore players instead of the usual idiots. Maybe if developers got extra cash for a real hard mode they wouldn't need to phone it in. I know I'd gladly pay $10 to have a MotB tuned by Sawyer.
This is actually an excellent idea.

Should be the other way. Make a hard game, sell DLC items for consoletards who can't do shit. Its already being done, just without the making a hard game thing.

1eyedking

Erudite
Gord said:
No really, I would agree with getting upset about fanboyish Biowhores, but this have been quite resonable posts, while you are throwing around exaggerated and made-up platitudes. Sorry, but this herp-derp bashing is really getting ridiculous sometimes.
I hereby now invite you to debunk them.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
1eyedking said:

DA:O's combat sucked because it was scripted as fuck (in a very bad way), and the combat itself was a clusterfuck built around insta-stunning abilities that really dragged the momentum of encounters down, stupid MMORPG mechanics such as aggro, shared inventory, "complex" spreadsheet design (read: big, meaningless numbers à la 574.3 dps against a 2581.2 hp monster, how long will it last LOL), and a myriad of other bad things such as bad item design (particularly unimaginative use of damage type), class restrictions and abilities, monster types (undead? demons? just like orcs LOL), etc.

So no, combat in DA:O was terribad and only gullible dumbfucks think of it as 'deep and 'complex'.

So basically you said what I just said, but containing the usual 1eyedking butthurt everyone already got used to? Good.

1eyedking

Erudite
Yes. Except my point was that DA:O's combat sucked because it just sucked, not because 'it needed more time'.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
1eyedking said:
Yes. Except my point was that DA:O's combat sucked because it just sucked, not because 'it needed more time'.

And? Maybe it needed more time? Unfortunately you're just jumping on the whole game-bashing bandwagon without raising any arguments. And yes, DA:O sucked monkeyballs. The combat itself was one of the minor reasons for that though (except for that shitty filler combat). If it wasn't for the flaws we talked about, it could actually have been great, since DA:O is pretty much the only game in the recent years that had the potential to deliver an environment and tactical depth that no party-based game with a 3d environment was able to deliver yet.

Gord

Arcane
Ok, some thoughts on DA:O combat, admittedly subjective and not from an combat/tacticsfag:

+ sometimes pretty good encounter design
+ varied possible tactics to approach a fight which amount to more than simple "insta-stunning", but I admit that some abilities like cone of cold are overpowered. Anyway you could employ different tactics for crowd-control and control of individual enemies
+ enemies use this stuff on your party. E.g. pin-down abilities can mean sure death if you don't watch out.
+ Spell combos are a nice touch.

And what's exactly your problem with "aggro"? That enemies attack your party? That they dare to attack your mages or ranged characters? How mean of them!
Also your numbers are just plain stupid. At least offer some based on reality.

That aside, DA:O has too many trash-mobs and the character system is half-baked. Many skills need tweaking. More wouldn't hurt either, esp. more that are useful outside of combat. It's not overly "deep and complex", but i never said so.

So, I still think it's not a bad game. Certainly not game of the decade material, but not bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom