Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eve continues to grow

Tiliqua

Liturgist
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?loadNews=3578

Eve has a strong roleplaying community, ebil pirates, exciting fleet battles and a player economy that leaves other mmos for dead. If you've ever wanted to try a mmo you should give this one a go - it's proof that mmos are the way of the future.

Section8

Cipher
Consider me the grim faced marketing veterinarian bearing a lethal injection.

I was "lucky" enough to be online with 15,000 other people the other night, and the result was global serverside lag. Our corp was forced to abandon our planned mining operation as a result, and even the simplest courier mission was a difficult proposition. So I went and played some Mount and Blade* instead.

* Better make that two injections, since my inner marketing whore seems to have reared its ugly head.

Human Shield

Augur
I don't pay to have a carrot put on a string in front of me. I pay to eat a string of carrots starting at the very beginning.

Silva

Arcane
This game really changed the way I think of mmos. I was thought mmorps were for retarded acephalous kids.

But now I see it can be good for sick anti-social morons who like building things and pretending to be important traders and crafters.

- - -

Now for serious. :D

This game is really good. Maybe the best MMORPG out there. Mature community (the most important), deep economics system (like a simulation), great ocupation diversity and "thinking man" gameplay style.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Silva said:
This game is really good. Maybe the best MMORPG out there. Mature community (the most important), deep economics system (like a simulation), great ocupation diversity and "thinking man" gameplay style.
I love EVE but I enjoy WoW more. Still all the aspects of EVE that you listed are what make it great. It really is an MMO for grown-ups.

Silva

Arcane
Another interesting thing about Eve: its gameplay is like any other mmorpg out there, but in fact it does not call itself a mmorpg; instead it call itself a massive multiplayer online game. Period.

The point is - all mmorpgs out there are essencially hack-and-slash games ala Diablo, but with massive communities. The role-playing aspect is almost non-existent in those games. In Eve its the same, but even so, Eve's virtual world manages to be more immersive and believable than most, because its world is focused in the players, giving them real chance to shape it, from its realistic player driven economics, to its political and geographical shaping by players groups/corporations.

The only other mmorpg Ive seen this strong world-player symbiose was Ultima Online, even if UO has a much more simpler economics model. Since UO showed the great possibilities for such a kind of game, sadly 99% of MMORPGs follow the "kill, kill, level up" approach, except Eve.

In the end, its obvious no MMORPG will even approach the role-playing aspect of the table tops, nor the single-player ones. In fact all these MMORPGs should be called just MMOGs - Massive Multiplayer Online Games - like Eve, because Its a much more accurate meaning.

Tiliqua

Liturgist
Eve isn't for every one but it certainly is a huge leap forward compared to other mmos. I find it exciting that WOW has so many subscribers, this shows that the mmo genre still has plenty of legs and is probably ready to bloom.

My only problem is the amount of time you end up giving a mmo that you love, it really is impossible for me to give the time required and still do the family and work thing. :(

Psilon

Erudite
DarkSign said:
Im simply amazed that Eve has such a following of devoted players. You guys are rabid...in a good way...uhm I guess.

Look on the bright side. If they decide to make some crappy consolized sequels, the disgruntled fan base won't have to switch forums.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Silva said:
Another interesting thing about Eve: its gameplay is like any other mmorpg out there, but in fact it does not call itself a mmorpg; instead it call itself a massive multiplayer online game. Period.
ROFL

roflroleplayingeve4rj.png

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Silva said:
please mr Darkunderlord, read this

http://www.eve-online.com/faq/faq_01.asp

Thx! :roll:
Look! I can point to obscure pages too!

EULA: http://www.eve-online.com/pnp/eula.asp
EVEâ„¢ is a multiplayer role playing game that allows the participation of thousands of players around the world

Terms of Service: http://www.eve-online.com/pnp/terms.asp
While EVE Online is a persistent world, fantasy role-playing game, the claim of role-playing is not an acceptable defense for anti-social behavior.

EVE Forum Rules: http://www.eve-online.com/pnp/forumrules.asp
The game is designed for role playing and/or portraying a role and it is sometimes easy for tempers to flare when the lines between the virtual world and the real world are crossed.

Chat Rules: http://www.eve-online.com/pnp/chatrules.asp
The game is designed for role playing and/or portraying a role and it is sometimes easy for tempers to flare when the lines between the virtual world and the real world are crossed.

Do I get to use the rolleyes smiley now?

Silva

Arcane
Ok so its dubious.

Doesnt matter. What matters is here:

The point is - all mmorpgs out there are essencially hack-and-slash games ala Diablo, but with massive communities. The role-playing aspect is almost non-existent in those games. In Eve its the same, but even so, Eve's virtual world manages to be more immersive and believable than most, because its world is focused in the players, giving them real chance to shape it, from its realistic player driven economics, to its political and geographical shaping by players groups/corporations.

The only other mmorpg Ive seen this strong world-player symbiose was Ultima Online, even if UO has a much more simpler economics model. Since UO showed the great possibilities for such a kind of game, sadly 99% of MMORPGs follow the "kill, kill, level up" approach, except Eve.

(Strange like some people gets worried about small unimportant details just for trying unqualify others, instead of getting to the point of topic. Maybe there is nothing better for them to do. Go figure.)

Tiliqua

Liturgist
Yep, that's one of the interesting things about Eve, in a war in Empire space or in low sec space you're only 5-10 seconds from disaster. You really need to be alert and aware of keeping safe - or pay the consequences.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Silva said:
Ok so its dubious.
Come on, say Uncle.

Silva said:
I disagree though. From everything I've read Eve has plenty of role-playing. As is said, more so than a lot of other "role-playing" games. The focus on the players and the freedom for them to do anything they want goes a long way towards allowing "real" role-playing opportunities.

Silva said:
(Strange like some people gets worried about small unimportant details just for trying unqualify others, instead of getting to the point of topic. Maybe there is nothing better for them to do. Go figure.)
No, I just went to sign up for Eve and saw the title of the page and thought "Hang on, didn't someone say Eve didn't call itself that?" and then came back here to post it for teh funnee++ and extra street cred.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom