Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis III - The TCancer Review

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Review ]</strong>

Johan "kris" Kristoffersson spent some time with the final build of <a href="http://www.europauniversalis3.com/index.php" target="_blank" title="EU3">Europa Universalis III</a>, the latest grand strategy title from <a href="http://www.paradoxplaza.com/" target="_blank" title="Paradox">Paradox Interactive</a>.<br/><br/><strong>Read: </strong><a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=30">Europa Universalis III - The TCancer Review</a>

whatusername

Scholar
Great review. I think I'm going to pick this one up. However, I've never played an EU game before, so is it be easy-to-learn like an generic rts; or is it incredibly in-depth a la Dominions 3?

kris

Arcane
Their new UI improvments have made it clearly easier to play, but for someone playing their first Paradox game it is still quite hard the first times you play. They have several concepts that you need to know to play effectively.

But the basis in the game is quite simple, economy is regulated by sliders. buildings and armies are build in provinces if you click on them and so on. I could compare with when I first played the original EU, getting into the game was quite easy really, but it took me a long time to take up some concepts, like that I was actually able to change what religions I could be tolerant against.

I got a little clame to fame as the producer and designer, Johan, posted about my review in the Paradox forums and said it was a good read with lots of info. Hard not to get a grin under those circumstances.

Araanor

Liturgist
Your first screen just had to be one where you showed off, eh. :)

Meaty and descriptive content; the stuff good reviews are made of. A bit lacking in the use of English.

You get a passing grade!

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Very nice review there kris! It looks like EU3 is a natural evolution from EU2 - although I've only dabbled in the latter.

whatusername said:
However, I've never played an EU game before, so is it be easy-to-learn like an generic rts; or is it incredibly in-depth a la Dominions 3?
I've never played EU3, but if you compare Dominions 3 with EU2 I'd say they are about even in depth. EU2 is more "upfront" (for a lack of a better term) about it's depth compared to Dominions 3 and I found Dominions 3 to be easier to start with in a "pick-up-and-play-and-still-know-what-you-are-doing" kind of way. I'm gonna get myself EU3 once I've gotten the hang of playing everyones favourite mad empire in Dominions 3, the mighty R'lyeh.

chaedwards

Liturgist
Very useful review. I've only recently got into EU2 with the AGCEEP mod, so probably so won't grab this until it hits the bargain bins, but I found out a ton from this Kris. Cheers.

Ladonna

Arcane
Just saw this review. You have got me interested, pity that work exists... :cry:

kris

Arcane
Ladonna said:
Just saw this review. You have got me interested, pity that work exists... :cry:

Tell me about it, being up playing until 1 and 2 AM doesn't compute that well with work. Like Civilization it have these milestones that you just have to play past before you finish only to come up with a new milestone.

Avé

Liturgist
No mention of how the map is still ugly as fuck(hey, dont I remember people telling me it would look way better at release?) and only a tiny mention of how it went with "dynamic" events turning it into a generic what-if strategy game? :/

If AGC-EEP dont start modding this game, it's going to be forgotten about in 6 months.

Hey VD, thanks for the tag m8, I enjoy being reminded of your idiocy.

kris

Arcane
Avè said:
If AGC-EEP dont start modding this game, it's going to be forgotten about in 6 months.

I can assure you that most players will never play of AGC-EEP, it is most likely that most won't even hear of it.

It ain't super pretty, but I am quite pleased by the way it looks. now if you have performance problems due to it, then I find that a very plausible complaint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom