Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games making comeback to PC

MetalCraze

Arcane
Epic has little to do with UT.

The only UT they've made was UT3 and we know how it turned out.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It always looked to me like Epic was just doing maps for it here and there while Digital Extremes was in charge of the gameplay itself - which also explains the huge gap in gameplay even between UT3 and UT2k4.

Like UT3 was made by people not knowing what they are doing.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
MetalCraze said:
It always looked to me like Epic was just doing maps for it here and there while Digital Extremes was in charge of the gameplay itself - which also explains the huge gap in gameplay even between UT3 and UT2k4.

Like UT3 was made by people not knowing what they are doing.

UT 99 was a collaboration between Epic and Digital Extremes. Epic did obviously the engine and gameplay works, and maps. DE also did maps.

UT 2003 was entirely developed by DE.

UT 2004 was entirely developed by Epic

UT3 was Epic. And yes, that one was shit indeed, but that's because UE3 is basically a console engine, so what did yyou expect?

MetalCraze

Arcane
UT 2004 is Digital Extremes.

UE2 is also a console engine, UT2003 was multiplatform (google Unreal Championship)

ortucis

Prophet
I enjoyed Unreal 2 more than Unreal 1 (which was just a Quake/Doom clone).

U2 tried to have NPC interactions as well back then.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
ortucis said:
I enjoyed Unreal 2 more than Unreal 1 (which was just a Quake/Doom clone).

U2 tried to have NPC interactions as well back then.

Except it played like horrendous dog poop and all the weapons sucked a thousand dongs in comparison to its predecessor.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PC gamers like TOTALLY pirate everything, like OMG. Even good games. We really wanted to make good games but piracy forced us to make Unreal 2 about boobs and spacemarines and arm-mounted black hole guns instead. Also, we're gonna let the PC finish, but consoles are the most money OF ALL TIME!

-Epic boss, Mike Capps, 16 May 2010
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/05/16/epic-president-the-moneys-on-console/

LOL, just kidding BROS, please please Pleeeeeeease buy our new shit, we totally hate all those greedy fuckers who said all the money's on TV games.

- Same douche, 16 Aug 2011
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/124594/epic- ... s-pc-plans

Fuck you, assmaggot. Create one of the all-time greats of gaming, desecrate its corpse, and then totally flip flop??

:x

Imagine if Leonardo da Vinci, after painting Mona Lisa, stabbed her, had sex with her corpse, then lit her on fire and threw feces at everyone around trying to stop him, then a year later said "Mona Lisa deserves a proper funeral, I've always felt she was treated badly."

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
My god, what's with all this Epic hate?

At least Epic is still independent and can make whatever they please. Unlike some publisher-owned maggot devs that make games directed by their marketing team.

I say give them a chance before you're gonna KKK on them.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
See Unreal 2; Unreal Tournament 4 being called Unreal Tournament 3 to cater to consoletards; my previous post linking to their previous console discksucking to now pretending to be BROS again. They turned to the dark side even before Activision

ortucis

Prophet
Morgoth said:
My god, what's with all this Epic hate?

At least Epic is still independent and can make whatever they please. Unlike some publisher-owned maggot devs that make games directed by their marketing team.

Not to mention, they gave us PC gamers/developers UDK. Compare that to the Crytek who the PC gamers are so proud of (or were) who only now have sort of released their tools to PC developers.

There are already PC only UDK exclusives from Indies being released or under development. PC gamers should be fucking sucking Epic cocks instead of bitching about random comments from some developers.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Zarniwoop said:
See Unreal 2; Unreal Tournament 4 being called Unreal Tournament 3 to cater to consoletards; my previous post linking to their previous console discksucking to now pretending to be BROS again. They turned to the dark side even before Activision

Epic is also in the middleware business. If you're the one who provides cutting-edge technology and tools, you better make sure to preserve your name and reputation by making cutting edge games. Meaning, pretty fucking expensive games, hence console market.

I'm glad they're going back making smaller downloadable games now. I wouldn't mind an Unreal HD.

Also Shadow Complex was pretty fucking awesome.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
At least UT3 went back to the roots of UT and got rid of most of the fancy shit from UT2004.

DraQ

Arcane
Honestly, I wouldn't consider UT3 to be some terribad turd - it's just that it feels unfinished and has way too little content. Plus all the "extra" online "functionality".

OTOH, it seems to be a step back towards the roots when it comes to some things like weapon design - although needlessly, baroquely contrived, most weapons look more like something from unreal than colourful, unatmospheric junk from all previous UTs, including UT'99 (the exception being newly retarded Flak Cannon model). Compare Stinger Minigun with the Minigun from U1.

Anyway, I'd happily accept another Unreal, provided it would at least try being similar to the first one, and that it would be accompanied by apology, public admission to being a douche and a good suck on my dick.
:smug:

Also, GTFO with the new Kralls (and retarded reimaginings of Skaarj in UT2k4 and U2).

Dantus12

Educated
How transparent can they be.
Scared shitles of competition and the future maybe?
Or maybe Microsoft making it's ways back in to the dev process.
The grim future:

Microsoft's next Win Derp being a absolutely social tool that supports the next gen Xbox 720.
The Xbox 720 running on a variation of Win Derp and being fully compatible.
Kinect being fully Pc compatible.

What does it mean. Every aspect of Kinect is being forced upon devs via :
1. tools, even tools like Max and Maya
2.Transition tools, various SDK kits being already implemented via various publishers demands, and huge parts of flexibility being lost because it's easier, meaning cheaper.
Uniformity being achieved (think boy bands). Every tools is affected.

It will make Kinect the essential thing.

Developed with Kinect in mind, Hm movement on rails, lack of physical freedom, and lack of detail, the human eye is unable to perceive a huge amount of data wile in motion .
The problem, it's already happening.

So after all that trashing of PC's, they come back to help Microsoft's task to finally conquer gaming.
The danger is coming from the fact that Kinect is capable of capturing data marker less.
It's the worst thing that can happen and happened to developer tools.
Why is it important ? Soon everyone will start whining how 3d is not profitable, and social is the way to go.
It will last until the full implementation of social 3d occurs.

Full control, limited features, ungodly amount of profit, micro payments and cheep development, where human resources are more obsolete than useful , no piracy , no retail costs, no digital costs.
Really waiting for Epic to expand on the aspects of phones and social networks.

It is relevant to because Unreal manged to implement it's self via "dev tools,"into various aspects of other Engines. It created more uniform games than RPG Maker could dream about.

Since version 2 it's the biggest blight in gaming, it ruined many good franchises, and affected development processes towards laziness and cutting corners, in many aspects like atmosphere, physical movement, art quality, and non- linearity.

They are going to try to be t a big part of it, because promoting will go from PC's not from consoles, now they now that all that trashing :
Tim Sweeney, : "PCs are good for anything, just not games"
was a bad idea.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I actually liked Unreal Tournament 3. The biggest problem was the lack of maps and the iffy weapon balance, plus being loaded with GameSpy, but the actual game itself was really solid and well-developed, it just never really got the additional balance pass it needed and probably shipped before they had enough content to fill the box. In many ways it's similar to UT2003 - excellent showpiece for the engine and a solid game, but lacking in content.

That said, it's also easy to have a false impression of the quality of UT2004. UT2004 is half made up of recycled UT2003 maps and, with the ECE, a lot of community maps were made official. The first UT had a lot of maps, but then again, back then a single person could make a map within a day or two, and the actual average map quality is probably not as good as the later games. And these days, with the Black Edition and Community Bonus Packs, it's hard to say UT3 is wanting for content either.

I'm not really sure the loss of Digital Extremes meant much. As far as I know, they were mosty just responsible for making maps and some of the additional game modes, and that reputation seems to have followed them, considering their last claim to fame has been the multiplayer side of BioShock 2. I mean, what other games have they made? Pariah? Dark Sector? I'm not sure Epic was missing all that much in dropping them.

Hell, what they really need is Cliffy B to get back to making maps himself, rather than his current job of, apparently, posing for photos with Gears of War merchandise, and rating things on a scale of "one to awesome". I think there's a point in the games industry where, if you go far enough, you can kind of just get paid to do nothing at all. Time to kick his ass back in line.

ortucis

Prophet
I only bought UT2k4 for the mods and judging by the amount of mods it has, it was the right decision to made (and not buying UT3 as well).

Dark Sector is way better than Gears of War and I am replaying it as we speak. I can't see any sane person saying that Gears is better than Dark Sector after actually playing the game.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Dantus12 said:
What does it mean. Every aspect of Kinect is being forced upon devs via :
1. tools, even tools like Max and Maya
2.Transition tools, various SDK kits being already implemented via various publishers demands, and huge parts of flexibility being lost because it's easier, meaning cheaper.
Uniformity being achieved (think boy bands). Every tools is affected.

It will make Kinect the essential thing.

That is good thing. It wont be long before indie devs are creating backloads of 3D models with a Kinect camera and a box of D&D figures... or clay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom