Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Entertainment Depot loves Silent Storm

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Silent Storm

<a href=http://www.entdepot.com>Entertainment Depot</a> posted an extremely positive <a href=http://www.entdepot.com/pc/silentstorm/review.php>review</a> of <a href=http://www.nival.com/eng/s2_info.html>Silent Storm</a>, giving it <b>8.5/10</b> for <i>the wonderful combination of fluid controls, luscious 3D graphics, a completely destructible environment, plenty of weapons and weapon-types, and incredible depth at every turn</i>. That doesn't sound too bad, does it?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I remember the exact moment I fell in love with Silent Storm: of my 6 person team, my scout had been prematurely spotted and slaughtered via a hail of heavy machine gun fire, and my sniper suffered several gunshot wounds and was forced to retreat to cover and bandage her wounds. With two guys out of the fight and an unrelenting building full of Nazis yet to make their move, I stopped and took inventory. I had a soldier fully loaded out with a rifle, a heavy machine gun capable of ripping apart brick walls, a rocket launcher, and a tiny fortune of grenades. My two engineers were moved into position along the windowless side of the building, ready to pick off any Nazi foolish enough to come charging out of the front door. And my grenadier was crouched below a window looking into the front side of Haus Nazi. The situation looked bleak and hopeless - from what I could hear and see, there were roughly 10-12 Nazis barricaded in the house guarding the documents I needed to fulfill my objective and they weren't rushing outside after me, but rather waiting for me to infiltrate the house.
<br>
<br>
But I had other ideas. I ordered my lone soldier to dash to the front corner of the house by my engineers where he pulled out his machine gun and punched a hole in the wall big enough for my engineers to do some damage. I then started pouring enough TNT and C-4 charges into the house to get two unsuspecting enemy soldiers and make a good portion of the wall come crashing down (EVERYTHING can not only sustain damage, but be destroyed as well). My grenadier, meanwhile, stood up, looked in the window, saw 4 Nazis, and started pouring grenades through the window. After a couple rounds of sustaining heavy explosions (with the aid of a rocket launcher), the 3 story house came down, trapping and killing any remaining Nazis that were unlucky enough to still be in the house. </blockquote> I love Silent Storm war stories
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Role-Player said:
War, war never changes.

Unless you utilize an army of robotic ninjas to do your evil bidding. At which point it becomes "war on an epic scale with giant robotic ninjas leaping everywhere" instead of just plain old "war".

kthxbye

Sol Invictus

Erudite
There are variables to the mission just in case you manage to blow up the entire house containing the documents. I'm not sure how it works as I haven't deviated from the flight path but apparently the mission's still completable, or something.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
For those who were too lazy to click on the link, the next line reads:

Where were the documents I needed to fulfill my objective? Upon entering the remainder of what used to be the front doorway, there they were, nicely placed atop a large pile of rubble that used to call itself a stairway. A small, lone tear crept down my cheek, and I smiled, because I was in love.

Voss

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Role-Player said:
War, war never changes.

Unless you utilize an army of robotic ninjas to do your evil bidding. At which point it becomes "war on an epic scale with giant robotic ninjas leaping everywhere" instead of just plain old "war".

kthxbye

There are always ninjas. Its just that usually they're so sneaky no one notices them.

As far as the documents go, they're indestructable and will float down to the lowest floor.
The missions that have 'don't destroy the building' or 'don't kill civilians' suck though. There aren't many, but so damn inconvenient... and they suck the fun out.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Kizmiaz said:
What became of the old hippie slogan: "Make love, not war" ?

The robotic ninja army twisted and warped it to their own ends. It is now "Make lots of robotic ninjas, not hippies".

*slinks into the shadows once more, fading from sight*

kthxbye

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom