Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Emogence questions and stupid answers

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Emogence, LLC; Grafan

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> has decided to entertain the gaming community by asking the think tank also known as <a href=http://www.emogence.com>Emogence</a> some <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/502/502847p1.html>questions</a> about the upcoming game and games in general.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>What are the best games you've played in the past couple of years, and why do they stand out for you? Do you have any all-time favorites?</i>
<br>
<br>
Herb Marselas: Wow. Last couple of years is a lot of games. I'm sure I'm going to think of more later, but the ones that stand out are the ones I can think of off the top of my head: Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and its two expansions, Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, recent EverQuest expansions, Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament 2004, Ratchet & Clank 2, and Jak 2. I think they all stand out as solid gameplay experiences that you can go back to again and again.
<br>
<br>
<i>What qualities does a game need to have to establish its own identity? What will it take to replace Diablo as the standard of comparison? Is that even possible?</i>
<br>
<br>
Herb Marselas: What sets Diablo, and Blizzard titles in general, apart from others are their art, cutscenes, huge amount of items, multiplayer, general polish, and stability
<br>
<br>
<i>To play the devil's advocate, many companies claim they'll raise the graphics bar, but few succeed. Why will Emogence be an exception?</i>
<br>
<br>
Herb Marselas: What we've seen happen with other games is that the development schedule is so long that by the time they ship, the graphics aren't as sophisticated as they first seemed when the game was announced; or, that the early graphics don't really take into account the gameplay itself and are then changed. We've made sure that the graphics are a complement to the gameplay, and we will be shipping this year. </blockquote>
<br>
I've also heard that some games don't have any gameplay by the time they ship, but obviously graphics are way more important.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Voss

Erudite
This year?
Holy fuck... from the last interview/Q&A it sounded like they hadn't even worked out some of the gameplay aspects. And their screenshots still need a shitload of work
I wonder if it occured to them that they might want to put it through a QA process...

While yes, games can looked dated with a long dev cycle, the alternative is almost always worse...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Oh, common, what's the big deal? Throw in some classes, some skills, truckload of items, add monsters and before you know you have more gameplay then players can handle! :lol:

My favourite part:

RPG Vault: We noticed that you game is kinda lame. Do you realize that it doesn't have any identity?
Herb: Huh?
RPG Vault: You know, identity. Like, for example, Diablo 2. What made it cool?
Herb: Well, I liked the cutscenes. There were lotsa items, so our game is going to have lotsa items too, and multiplayer.
RPG Vault: What about gameplay?
Herb: Gameplay? Of course people would be able to play our game. Duh!
:lol:

Anonymous

IT WILL BE AN EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE, SIESMOLOGISTS (whatever, cant spell it) DONT NAME THEIR COMPANIES EMOGENCE FOR NO REASON.

But i'm guessing the emotion will come from anger (from finding out you actually paid money for it) to contentment when you uninstall it and throw it in the trash.

Fireblade

Erudite
quake was already taken, so emogence was the next logical alternative

Rosh

Erudite
It shouldn''t come as much of a surprise that people named "Herb" are like this.

Don't do drugs while pregnant, kiddies. The name makes it rather clear what they were smoking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom