Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elwro....

Ladonna

Arcane
...Saw your post over at Matrix games, very cute... :lol:

If you want a quality game from Matrix I suggest Conquest of the Aegean. Its an awesome general simulator with the best AI since whenever. If you don't mind lesser graphics, highway to the reich isn't bad either, but its a bit older without the refinements of Conquest of the Aegean.

Apart from that, I have GGWAW (bit dull, not as good as Doomsday, HOI2), Crown of Glory (Good game, but its got a learning curve of Victoria...your call), and the Combat mission knockoff they have there, which hasn't really grabbed me.

Just posted here because I couldn't be bothered signing up to Matrix forums. Hope this helped.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Ladonna said:
...Saw your post over at Matrix games, very cute... :lol:

And yeah, thanks very much for all the info but as baby arm said, I won't buy CoA for a few reasons. Apart from hex-basedness etc, Matrix' games are being sold in Poland for 20 PLN, which is roughly 5 Euros. This includes SPWAW:General's Edition, which Matrix sells for 70 Euros, Decisive Battles: Italy and Normandy (37 Euros each), War in the Pacific (60 Euros) and War Plan Orange (34 Euros). Heck, a shop in my city sells both Tin Soldiers games for 1.25 Euro (Matrix: 25 Euros each). So there's really no point for me to buy stuff directly from Matrix; I'll just wait sometime until CoA and other titles get released in Poland. Strategy games never age :D

It's fun that I often hear the "we have to translate the game so that it can cost less; just think about reimport11!!" argument... seems like it doesn't work in a niche genre.

Ladonna, you compare GGWAW to HOI2. But isn't HOI2 a Paradox, thus real-time game? Or did they change their design? (Crusader Kings is the last I played.)

Ladonna

Arcane
Birth of America is getting a lot of raves as well....might have to check it out.
http://www.birth-of-america.com/

I agree that the prices are extremely high, even for an Aussie. As for language translation....Perhaps you could give some of their english language users some lessons Elwro? I often see English as a second language users that can spell and form better sentences than their peers that only speak english :lol: .

I should have noted your hex love. I played the big map wargames with my brothers (With two brothers, you learn some very ungirly habits...), but have moved on after facing the AI and orders of the Panther game system. Its really that good.

In any case, I think you would enjoy Crown of Glory. Be warned that Poland is merely a victim in this game (You cannot play them), but perhaps you can trash Austria, Russia and Prussia with France, and help the Motherland? :wink:

HOIDD is real time, but with the pause it still works for me. If some could design a nice, new Hex game with the same clout and options, I would be there for sure.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks again for the info, I think Crown of Glory is also cheap around here...
It's nice that the Hungarians made a freeware game about their revolution (1848). I'm pretty sure our government would never fund a computer game.

Anyway, I'm off for the traditional Polish End of the Year Party, which begins on Saturday and will perhaps end on Monday. Cheers! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom