Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Elea - an RPG Codex-adjacent CYOA

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Elea; RPG Codex

Some people do really weird things when they're bored, when instead they could be contributing to their local community by digging ditches or sweeping the streets.

Unfortunately for society at large, folks like our local poster Agesilaus would rather write choose-your-own-adventure books about, ahem, philosophical discussions inspired by classical Hellenic and Chinese antiquity. This is your introduction to Elea.

"Classical antiquity played host to a great intellectual struggle. Philosophers, possessed by the desire to know, engaged in free inquiry and developed an astounding array of positions. They formed schools and engaged each other in philosophical debates. That same spirit grips our generation; we gather online to develop our beliefs and to clash like rams. Antiquity is born again, beautiful and new."

The text consists of short chapters that are connected by branching paths. At the end of each chapter you will decide how to proceed. Elea is written to be very accessible to all readers. Familiarity with ancient thinkers such as Parmenides and Zhuang Zhou will enrich the experience. The book is strongly rooted in a monist interpretation of the Eleatic fragments and philosophical Daoism. The characters you meet will explore the nature of Being, presenting an understanding of reality as an all-embracing and unshakeable unity.​

You're probably puzzled why this is newsworthy, and I'm wondering about that myself, but to quote the very man who brought this upon us, "Elea mentions this site and its forums on a few occasions, and at one point goes into a discussion of game development and certain types of game mechanics that should be avoided." It is only natural that this prestigious magazine should be included for reference in assorted curricula and compendia, and word of it spread to the masses.

Elea can be bought on Amazon for 8 or 20 bucks depending if you want it on kindle or paper.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Buying this.

But when? In a minute? Well, to get there we need to first pass the initial 30 seconds. To do this, we somehow need to traverse the initial 15 seconds...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
remove cyoa from the front page immediately
Elea must have qualified to be the Codex's next GotY.

Ci6cRbg.png

AfterVirtue

Literate
Codex review when? :cool:

How do we make this happen? Who is the official Codex CYOA reviewer.
To make a review "happen" you must before write a half review. But before that you must reach an halfway point between no review and half review; but before that you must reach half point... and so on. Therefore the review is impossible.
Moreover for the review to be it must be at the same time similar (ὅμοιον) to itself and dissimilar (ἀνόμοιον) to itself; but if it is impossible for something to be similar and dissimilar to itself in the same way and at the same time, therefore it is impossible for the review to be.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Codex review? Well, I'm an associate professor at a philosophy institute. So I guess I'd be qualified. I'd also happily do it. The problem is finding the time: I'm preparing classes for the new semester and of my 2 kids at least one is always ill, which makes things difficult. But I will take a look. Still, a review for Erkenntnis needs to have priority... ;-)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Behold, the power of AI voice acting.

EDIT: Here's a youtube link for those who prefer that:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom