Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress Illustrated AAR

Heechee

Liturgist
Ulminati said:
I don't mind setting up a LP and kicking things off, so long as I'm sure there'll be people to take over once my turn is done. Looking at other similar games from other places, I suggest the following:

1: We set off to somewhere with a hostile environment for additional FUN. Also, somewhere with a river and some flux stone to make sure we can get steel and farming done.
2: One year = one turn. Once the cheery green "Spring has Arrived!" message pops, you pause, save, zip and upload the save somewhere so the next player can take over. A year seems like a good length of time to let people do something creative in their reign, without being so long the thread takes ages to go anywhere.
3: You have a week from the person before you uploads the save to take your turn. If you start but can't finish for whatever reason, your successor can either continue where you left off (assuming you uploaded a save) or continue from the previous save.
4: It's fine to break up your reign in multiple posts to keep things going over the course of the week (or less) it takes you to play a full year.
5: If you wreck the fort to TOTAL unplayability; e.g. magma floods, removing bridges in creative ways to wreck pathfinding and make it impossible to rebuild them, digging down to HFS without an army etc. we'll roll back and everyone gets dwarven blue balls. (Which I'm told are shorter but stronger than the regular variety).
6: Once your turn is over, you get to rename a dwarf after yourself as the retired ruler. This way, we'll eventually have a dysfunctional society of unwashed codexians living in a cave, drinking booze.
7: We'll use the version of DF that comes with the newest version of Lazy Newb Pack (0.31.18). Mostly because that's the one I have. :p Also, the tileset is easier on the eyes and less arcane for the layman to decipher.

Any thoughts to add to this?

Sounds good, but we should also discuss some in-game house rules and/or modifications:

a) Shall we permit using traps and/or walling oneself in? If permitted, this will make the game so much easier and so much less FUN...

b) How about "danger rooms"? They are somewhat exploity/gamey. But then, standard training is so slow it almost seems bugged. I strongly suggest using them.

c) Are we going to accept all immigrant waves, or are we going to be selective and implement appropriate measures?

d) Shall we change all the exotic animals to normal animals in raws, or not? Since the dungeon master is bugged, all exotic animals are useless. Rather cosmetic change, but if not done we won't have weird pets roaming the halls.

e) How about changing dwarven civ ethics in order to allow elven leather thong and goblin skull totem industry? This makes game little bit easier, because the invaders are edible, but we're going to have plenty of food anyway.

f) Any other mods? To give one example, I always play with the "display case" mod, which makes the artifacts somewhat less useless.

g) Generic evil biome, or something more exotic like glacier?

h) Composition of the starting party can have a strong influence on the game, and as such should be probably briefly discussed. I usually start with 4 teacher-soldiers, 1 dedicated doctor, 1 grower/mechanic and 1 mechanic/armorer.

Furthermore, I think each player can use whatever tileset he wants.

If we agree to play the game modded, which is desirable in my opinion, we will need to distribute the modded files (raws) centrally.

AzraelCC

Scholar
I'd really like to see this happen. BTW, any noteworthy mods the Codex can suggest? I'm still having lots of FUN with DF as a newbie, and I'd like to have some mods ready once I get the hang of things.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
heechee1 said:
a) Shall we permit using traps and/or walling oneself in? If permitted, this will make the game so much easier and so much less FUN...

Why would we want people to do something that makes the game less FUN? :rpgcodex:

b) How about "danger rooms"? They are somewhat exploity/gamey. But then, standard training is so slow it almost seems bugged. I strongly suggest using them.

If danger rooms are what I think (wooden spears linked to trigger plates and a bunch of cats walking around to set them off), I'm all for them. But only if the person that constructs them makes a hilarious write-up of the thoughts his ruler puts into the danger room.

c) Are we going to accept all immigrant waves, or are we going to be selective and implement appropriate measures?

The codex accepts all newfags, even if they herald the :decline:
That's not to say we can't think up creative ways to cull the population if it gets too big...

d) Shall we change all the exotic animals to normal animals in raws, or not? Since the dungeon master is bugged, all exotic animals are useless. Rather cosmetic change, but if not done we won't have weird pets roaming the halls.

e) How about changing dwarven civ ethics in order to allow elven leather thong and goblin skull totem industry? This makes game little bit easier, because the invaders are edible, but we're going to have plenty of food anyway.

f) Any other mods? To give one example, I always play with the "display case" mod, which makes the artifacts somewhat less useless.

Enh... I'm not really sold on modding the game. Mostly because I'm a DF newbie myself, and I foresee all kinds of headaches trying to sync everyones mods.

g) Generic evil biome, or something more exotic like glacier?

I was thinking of a generic evil biome like haunted swamp or terrifying forest. But I'm open to suggestions. Just bear in mind that we may have a bunch of DF newbies (myself included) in charge, so making the biome too FUN may result in massive dwarven blueballs if we're forced to load from earlier saves.

h) Composition of the starting party can have a strong influence on the game, and as such should be probably briefly discussed. I usually start with 4 teacher-soldiers, 1 dedicated doctor, 1 grower/mechanic and 1 mechanic/armorer.

I... Honestly have no idea. :p so far, I've let the game compose the embark party for me.

Furthermore, I think each player can use whatever tileset he wants.

Naturally... I just mentioned the lazy newb pack for the version number of d0rf fortress included in it.

If we agree to play the game modded, which is desirable in my opinion, we will need to distribute the modded files (raws) centrally.

I'm not really sold on modding the game

Heechee

Liturgist
Regarding the modding - everything is pretty much just bonus material with the exception of the animal/dungeon master issue. The simple change of raws serves rather as a way to bypass the bugged non-functioning part of the game, not really a mod. You just change all [PET_EXOTIC] tags to [PET] in the raws. I can live without that if the majority of people prefers it that way, but it's a shame really.

How much should we be concerned with the framerate drop? I tend to play near large surface water sources, but it's not necessary. We should definitely stick to the 3x3 map though.

I'd go for jungle or desert. I played too much swamps.

I guess we will have to alternate after a couple of years anyway, since there's probably not enough interested players.

I can send you some hints for the starting 7 dwarves if you want to go first (by all means, I'll have time next Friday at the earliest). I would not underestimate your abilities, but this (if done wrong) could seriously cripple the fort.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
As for a good, solid mod for DF, I heartily recommend Civilization Forge.

It adds the following:

13 new races, plus more variety in the primitive animal men societies.
Alchemy for making elemental metals and special crystals
Fixes crystal glass making
20+ new weapons
More armor types, such as scale and lamellar, plus 3 new shield types
New animals, including pigs, chickens, and giant beetles.
New stones types
More Gems
A reworked steel industry that makes getting steel more interesting.
Plus lots of other random little things.

It might seem like a lot, but it isn't hard to get a handle on.

Here's a link to the wiki page for it: Civ Forge Wiki

Destroid

Arcane
If someone gays it up by being boring the next player can tear all their shit down anyway. Plus everyone will give them shit for being a pussy.

Sign me up, I haven't played in so long, no doubt I will do something utterly retarded bringing ruination to our fort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom