Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress gets religious

MisterStone

Arcane
Dwarf Fortress v0.27.173.38a has been released... apparently this is the first release in Toady's "army arc", although he says in the dev log that the armies are actually in (fortresses will be attacked by armies, but its kind of a kludge until he gets more work on the military done). It sounds like there are caravans now. And there are definitely religions, gods, temples, etc. Historical figures are fleshed out, given background stories... random NPCs have personality traits and personal histories.

Looks like the ultimate fantasy world generator is moving forward full steam. W00t w00t!

(Oh yeah, goblins now apparently worship demon god-kings, which live in their goblin towers. I've got to bag me one of those!)

adron

Novice
really looking forward to a fleshed out adventure mode

sheek

Arbiter
Damn, I didn't like the last release, the one with the 3-dimensional stuff. I don't know why but I think they did something to the interface and they've added too much complexity seemingly for the sake of it - which doesn't improve the gameplay. Seriously is there anybody who can get a mid-sized self-sustaining settlement going? I have got three years in with 20+ dwarves and then the thing becomes too unbearable, it takes forever for anything to get done because every five seconds you're having to micromanage something. What kind of person has the time to dedicate to something like that?

I wish they'd just focus on the Adventurer stuff, really flesh that out and leave the Fortress complexity as it is - or stop the additions and just focus on improving the gameplay of the features that are already there, make it more intuitive, make the interface better, etc.

Pylon

Novice
Why the fuck would you need to micromanage more later on sheek? The whole point of nobles and economy etc is to automate boring tasks and it does just that. If you play for three years and manage to bring your population to a whooping "20+" then you most likely suck at the game.
The interface is fucking brilliant because you don't have to move around "intuitive" menues and shit because you can just LEARN the controls in order to give commands lightning quick.

Also "they" aka ToadyOne just focused one release on "Adventurer stuff", what the fuck is wrong with you?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pylon said:
The interface is fucking brilliant because you don't have to move around "intuitive" menues and shit because you can just LEARN the controls in order to give commands lightning quick.

Yeah, right, intuitive controls are sh111t.... :roll:

Balor

Arcane
WTF? 3D made micromanagement EASIER.
You don't have to make huge, sprawling complexes (unless you really want to) - just dig down one level and you have a lot of space.
Having a 'habitat level', industrial level, etc makes things very easy. And you can switch between them with hotkeys.
There are more optimizations to interface too, like in construction materials selection, etc...
Not to mention farming and flood controls are MUCH easier now.
Admit it, you just suck at games, sheek(p).

Destroid

Arcane
Why do you think programmers use difficult programs that require you to memorize many shortcut keys to use effectively? Mouse and graphic heavy interfaces might be easier to learn but they certainly are not faster than keyboard shortcuts.

Gerrard

Arcane
Pylon said:
Kekekekeke

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom