Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons of Dredmor (high production roguelike) lookin' good

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
reaven said:
I kinda regret buying this. Almost every free roguelike Ive played has been better (That covers pretty much all of them).
This Tower of Regret, forged on the negative material plane, forged from the horror of finally having to shell out five whole bucks on a roguelike, after playing them for free all these years... at last, we know what can change the nature of a man.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Pretty much the only reason I don't regret buying it. Hopefully if this sells well enough it'll make better devs crank out a nicer game. Though, in all likelyhood it'll just be crappier devs who figure it just needs to appeal to a wider audience. Incoming: Facebook roguelike.

Multi-headed Cow

Copying this from the Steam thread because I might as well share my retardo.

WELL HOBO ELF, now you get to be :smug: at me because I did an amazingly retarded thing. Was playing my wizard character, blasting the shit out of everything. Was in dungeon level 5 and had met nothing that was any threat. I was down a few HP but it was no issue, I was using a single square wall of fire spell and blasting monsters onesies twosies and destroying them. Used a lot of mana, but I was gaining 1 mana per turn. THE DUNGEON WAS MY OYSTER.

Until a monster closed in to melee range. Which I thought was fine, because I could survive probably 10+ hits from it with no issue.

So I started to fire wall the monster.

And missed the monster's square and cast the spell on myself, which due to my MASSIVE WIZARD STATS AND GIGANTIC SPELL POWER instantly killed me. My jaw dropped and I was stunned. STUNNED. That death was so amazingly stupid I don't think I can play Dredmor for a while now.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think this game is awesome with a lot of humor.

Here's my 8th character, perma-death on the hardest difficulty with random skills selected. Just cleared a monster zoo in the always welcoming Lusty Passage of Defenestrations.

http://i.imgur.com/mT18M.jpg

Stabwound

Arcane
Talking very briefly on IRC with Derek (one of the guys from Gaslamp) it seems as though they're already in the very beginning stages of planning their next game. He said he wants to make an RPG - but didn't really elaborate on what type of RPG. I have a feeling that they could pull off a very awesome old-school dungeon crawler, but it's more likely they'll go the "console" route, probably.

He also said they'll probably charge $25-30 for their next game, which I think is way too much for any indie game. I'm sure they must realize that a lot of the success Dredmor is having is because of the price tag.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Stabwound said:
Talking very briefly on IRC with Derek (one of the guys from Gaslamp) it seems as though they're already in the very beginning stages of planning their next game. He said he wants to make an RPG - but didn't really elaborate on what type of RPG. I have a feeling that they could pull off a very awesome old-school dungeon crawler, but it's more likely they'll go the "console" route, probably.

He also said they'll probably charge $25-30 for their next game, which I think is way too much for any indie game. I'm sure they must realize that a lot of the success Dredmor is having is because of the price tag.

But at $5 per unit - 30% (Steam cut), they are making $3.50 off of each game. Now, at $25 per unit, they are making $17.50 per game. They could sell 20% of the uniits they sold of Dreadmoor, and make the same amount of bread. However, since their last game was ok, they may have more people giving them a break. They may sell 50% of Dreadmoors units, if it's ok. If it's good and they sell as many units as Dreadmoor, they are making out like crazy bandits.

However, if it looks like a $5 game, and they want $25, nobody is going to pay that. Shoot, DA2 is going for $25, and it's highly unlikely Gaslamp could compete with that level of quality.

Exmit

Scholar
This is an enjoyable dungeon crawler.

Would i pay for it ? No :smug:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Stabwound said:

25 to 30 bucks isn't that much. Anyway, it depends entirely on the game, no? Indie game or not, that shouldn't be a factor of the price. The content and the quality should be. Sometimes I just don't understand your peoples' reasoning when it comes to indie devs and games.

7hm

Scholar
Daemongar said:
Stabwound said:

But at $5 per unit - 30% (Steam cut), they are making $3.50 off of each game. Now, at $25 per unit, they are making $17.50 per game. They could sell 20% of the uniits they sold of Dreadmoor, and make the same amount of bread. However, since their last game was ok, they may have more people giving them a break. They may sell 50% of Dreadmoors units, if it's ok. If it's good and they sell as many units as Dreadmoor, they are making out like crazy bandits.

However, if it looks like a $5 game, and they want $25, nobody is going to pay that. Shoot, DA2 is going for $25, and it's highly unlikely Gaslamp could compete with that level of quality.

Graphics don't make the game, but 25$ is probably still a bit high - I'd want a demo at that price.

I think the sweet spot for most indie games is between 10-20$. Under 20$ and most people don't really worry about the price. I don't even think about indie game (particularly RPG) purchases under 10$, if it looks interesting it's almost always a buy for me.

Hobo Elf: Based on DoD I wouldn't give these guys 25$ for their next game. It's good but it's not polished and there have been some issues with bugs / balance on release. That's the main difference between indie and larger budget games. My expectations in terms of polish are a lot higher when I'm paying 30$ for something. (I know it's only 10$ more but... it's a psychological thing. 30$ is a purchase that I'm going to think twice about.)

Teepo

Scholar
Daemongar said:
reaven said:
I kinda regret buying this. Almost every free roguelike Ive played has been better (That covers pretty much all of them).
This Tower of Regret, forged on the negative material plane, forged from the horror of finally having to shell out five whole bucks on a roguelike, after playing them for free all these years... at last, we know what can change the nature of a man.

*wipes tear*

Let's say I'm building a mage. Should I Get a skill in mace\axe\swords anyway?

In other words, is getting a weapon skill mandatory?

Ashery

Prophet
I'd say no. You'll be fucked early on if you have to resort to melee as you'll have nothing but your fists that do one damage, but once you find a half-decent weapon you'll have a reliable fallback.

Also, while I haven't tried it, unarmed is supposedly very powerful due to the knockback skill among others. Could be mistaken, though, as I haven't tried it personally.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Console route, eh? Well, fuck them with a rake. As much as I want to play DoD I'm waiting for them to actually work all the bugs out and balance it before I buy. If they released a $30 title with the same lack of polish and bug testing as DoD they'd quickly lose all of their money.

Teepo

Scholar
So, there's no draw back to using a sword, even though you don't have sword training? You just don't get the perk?

7hm

Scholar
Teepo said:
So, there's no draw back to using a sword, even though you don't have sword training? You just don't get the perk?

You do about 72% damage.

Mages don't need weapon skills. Use two orb shields instead for max mana / regen / spellpower.

Teepo

Scholar
Thank you, thank you.

Also, is it not recommended to do two magic schools with lot's of skills. Considering you get one ability per level, I would imagine maxing out two different schools of magic would not be worth it or possible.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
7hm said:
Daemongar said:
Stabwound said:

Graphics don't make the game, but 25$ is probably still a bit high - I'd want a demo at that price.

I think the sweet spot for most indie games is between 10-20$. Under 20$ and most people don't really worry about the price. I don't even think about indie game (particularly RPG) purchases under 10$, if it looks interesting it's almost always a buy for me.

Hobo Elf: Based on DoD I wouldn't give these guys 25$ for their next game. It's good but it's not polished and there have been some issues with bugs / balance on release. That's the main difference between indie and larger budget games. My expectations in terms of polish are a lot higher when I'm paying 30$ for something. (I know it's only 10$ more but... it's a psychological thing. 30$ is a purchase that I'm going to think twice about.)

I'm just saying that having a larger budget doesn't necessarily mean the game will be more polished. I don't instantly think that bigger companies spend more money on making games. They may spend more money marketing it and hiring celebs to do voice acting, sure, but that has nothing to do with polish. How many big budget games have you bought that are buggy as fuck?
Yeah, I wouldn't pay 25 bucks for DoD, but I'll wait and see what their next game looks like before deciding what it's worth to me. It's a good enough entry that tells me that the least I should do is keep my eyes out for these guys.

7hm

Scholar
Hobo: Most AAA games I buy aren't buggy as fuck. I don't buy many though. In the last two years I don't think I've bought a single AAA PC game (indie only), though I did pirate DAO (bought it for xbox). Certainly the console ones aren't overly buggy. I'm not even talking about bugs though. There's a level of polish that you expect from a more expensive game that you don't see with most indie games. That's not a bad thing, but it's part of the pricing. An indie has to be damn good / hit a particular niche for me to pay that much for it. (I've resolved to not buy any games other than indies / the NHL series on xbox anyway.)

Teepo said:
Thank you, thank you.

Also, is it not recommended to do two magic schools with lot's of skills. Considering you get one ability per level, I would imagine maxing out two different schools of magic would not be worth it or possible.

Math + Prom

You don't need to go past obvious fireball in prom, but the entire math school is awesome. Apparently Astrology is really good too.

In other news, I stopped playing and went back to some crawl. The tourney is coming up and I want to get my 0.9 in before the release so I can get another couple wins in the tourney. DoD is fun, but it's grindy and the levels don't have enough variety for my taste. I'll come back to it after more updates.

Multi-headed Cow

Obvious fireball's getting a nerf, and I actually found the next step of prom (The single tile wall of fire) was more effective later in the game. Did pretty massive damage, and since it burns for multiple turns you can make hallways of death if there's a monster zoo/populous room. That spell is what I killed myself with on my mage character that WOULD HAVE BEATEN THE GAME IF I WASN'T A RETARD.

Now I'm considering just waiting for the next patch before firing up some more characters.

MisterStone

Arcane
I lost a promising character today by accidentally area affecting Brax (the shopkeeper). Has anyone ever killed him? Does killing him make all the shopkeepers try to kill you?

I think that with some luck and lots of good wands I might could take him out... he hits very hard but he is not immortal by any means.

Multi-headed Cow

Apparently shopkeeper aggro is only per-dungeon level.

sser

Arcane
Developer
My above guy died pathetically and now have a new one where I've gotten to the third floor. Kind of a mishmash of abilities (random): Vampirism, Fungal, Fire spells, Dual Wielding, Axes, Perception or whatever, and Burglary. I can summon up to 3-monsters which helps a ton since my dude is total shit in hand-to-hand. I only figured out what the fuck spores do when I got to the third level, but now I'm overflowing with kickass mushrooms that do all kinds of awesome things. The inability to heal through normal means makes for interesting gameplay. I've learned to summon monsters simply to kill them for health.

Stabwound

Arcane
Okay, so I was corrected on what I said earlier by David from Gaslamp... There are no hard decisions on their next game, so most of what I said might not be true. The stuff about RPGs and pricing etc was mostly said in passing, not as actual statements from the company, so it doesn't mean much of anything.

My apologies for spreading rumours. :salute:

...although I still think you guys would make an awesome 3rd person dungeon crawler.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Let's just let them get DoD fixed first~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom