Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Siege patch 1.1

Deathy

Liturgist
Tags: Dungeon Siege

<p>A new patch has been released for <a href="http://www.dungeonsiege.com/">Dungeon Siege</a>, How anyone could still be playing it with <a href="http://www.progressquest.com/">Progress Quest</a> in the competition is beyond me, however.</p><p>Well, the patch is <a href="http://www.dungeonsiege.com/dsupdate11.shtml">here</a>. You'll notice that there is no fix for the lack of any role playing or fun.</p><p>And yes, the entire point of this news post was to trash <a href="http://www.dungeonsiege.com">Dungeon Siege</a>.</p>

Wojit

Educated
I've always been somewhat pleased with myself for knowing Dungeon Siege would stink more than 6 months before it even came out.

Ibbz

Augur
Chris Taylor should really keep to making RTS's. :)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Well, while I'm at it, what's Neverwinter Nights like? This is one that I've actually considered buying and getting into modding for. Only, in all the reviews I've read, they don't really tell you about the game or the potential of the modding tools.

What I'd like to know is what is it like to actually play. Is there any dialogue in there? I presume not, seeing as there are already 500 modules out for it. I doubt any of those modules have dialogue in them, considering the short time frame.

Also, what are the modding capabilities of it? Compared to Arcanum, can I do whatever the hell I want (world map, dialogue, all sorts of different quests) or is it limited in some way?

Xerophyte

Educated
The dark netherworld of dutch Gouda cheese
EnWeeEn

You can do whatever you want. The scripting requires some learning if you've never used C or any C-derivative programming language, but you can do anything the dev. team did (which doesn't include worldmaps).

What's limited is the fact that there aren't exactly a great number of tiles available to you and the game is sorta tile-based. An NWN "tile" is roughly 10x10 meters or so, which makes every map you'll ever make very strange and square-ey. Also, there aren't many tilesets available. If you don't want to make a grassy rural area, a town, a forest, a cave or the inside of a building, we-ell . . . you're out of luck.

Ibbz

Augur
Actually if you want more tilesets such as:

Athasian Nights DARK SUN 0.28a by Athasian Nights

Desert City Tileset 1.5 by bodangly

Desert Tileset by Xahlt

Drow 11in1 by Wildheart Winterwolf

Drylands Tileset Hi Version 1.1 by Baronrage

Dungeon No Lava by Digital Ghost

Egyptian low res standalone by Runemaker

GH_13_Pak_v1.0 by Celestian

Grass City by Julian

ITP 6in1 by Arcanius

Jungle_high by Baronrage

Jungle_low by Baronrage

Low Res Desert and Winter TileSets by DarkSir

Planescape Baator 1.0 by FAST_Rex

Rural/City + Grass City (dirt texture) by Scapra

Rural/City Combo Tileset by Kthoris

Semi Shadow Castle by TheMountain

Semi Shadow City by TheMountain

Snow Mountain/valley tileset by spoonmerlin

Swamp Tile Set V1.5a by -Nighthawk-

Tree City tileset by geekgirljess

True Shadow Castle by themountain

True Shadow City by themountain

Undersea Tile Set by Runemaker

Valley/Mountain/undergroud tileset by spoonmerlin

Winter Tileset by Labtek

drylands tileset low v1.1 by Baronrage

Go here

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Is there dialogue in this game? Interactive, dialogue trees? Talking to people? Other ways of finishing quests other than killing everything?

Xerophyte

Educated
The dark netherworld of dutch Gouda cheese
Dialogue trees, yes. Long and deep ones with voice acting in them, even. There're even rolls against one's persuasion skills and my low-charisma warrior was constantly insulted for being ugly, so they do have quite a number of stat checks in them too.

Of course, there's no way of actually finishing any quests by this. NWN's single player adventure is purely hack and slash with bits of talking interspersed simply for flavour.

Deathy

Liturgist
I also love how they spent the time to write the idiot/simpleton dialogue yet did not have it have any effect whatsoever in gameplay.

Ibbz

Augur
I thought DUL was referring to Dungeon Siege in his previous post?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Ibbz said:
I thought DUL was referring to Dungeon Siege in his previous post?

No. I started out with Dungeon Siezure with my first post, but subsequent posts moved onto NWN.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Xerophyte said:
Dialogue trees, yes. Long and deep ones with voice acting in them, even. There're even rolls against one's persuasion skills and my low-charisma warrior was constantly insulted for being ugly, so they do have quite a number of stat checks in them too.

Of course, there's no way of actually finishing any quests by this. NWN's single player adventure is purely hack and slash with bits of talking interspersed simply for flavour.

The problem is, dialogue doesn't mean crap in NWN, just like in any of the other BioWare games. Heck, in NWN, nothing really means anything because the story is so fixed. There's no way to alter it at all.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Saint_Proverbius said:
Heck, in NWN, nothing really means anything because the story is so fixed. There's no way to alter it at all.

Format C: [ENTER]
Are you sure, Y/N?
Y [ENTER]

Story problems solved :D

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
Since you were asking about the modding potential, the SP (single player, not Saint Proverbius!) campaign is totally irrelevant.

As has been mentioned, yes dialogue trees are in there, complete with attribute/skill/alignment check possibilities. Fine tuning the dialogue requires rudimentary programming skills.

From what the mod makers are saying, making a decent story-based mod with worthwhile NPC interaction requires a deal of effort, but then inventing such a story and set of characters in the first place should test whether you have that kind of commitment.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, the main problem is you can't really do anything beyond episodic modules because quest information isn't stored in the character data. Go figure on that one.

That's one problem with NWN. They tried to make an epic single player game on an engine that can only handle episodic.

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
I'm not an expert on modding, and could well be wrong on this, but I believe the carrying over of information, etc between chapters (whatever) can be dealt with by inserting invisible items as tokens into the inventory. Fair enough, that workaround doesn't detract from the idiocy of Bioware's design, but on a practical level it would allow people like DU to couple chapters.

Rosh

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Well, the main problem is you can't really do anything beyond episodic modules because quest information isn't stored in the character data. Go figure on that one.

That's one problem with NWN. They tried to make an epic single player game on an engine that can only handle episodic.

Correction, that is THE problem with NWN. That makes it's superficial "abilities" quite obvious.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, the massive save games that lay waste to your harddrive.. The frequent patching which may or may not force you to reinstall because it corrupts the main modules.. The fact BioWare doesn't understand alignments at all, and you have to deal with the inconsistancies in what does and doesn't change your alignment.. Uber items found everywhere in the game.. Having six different types of dragon all living in the same area, including the most famous red dragon EVAR, whom you can kill..

I'd say it's hard to pin down THE worst thing about NWN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom