Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakensang: The Adventures of Carth Onasi

Oarfish

Prophet
This is a painful reminder of the 30 hours of my life I want back from trying to wring some enjoyment from this piece of crap. Somehow it manages to be worse than NWN.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Better game developers in general, in terms of professionality, reliability, internationality, quality of staff, etc. Definitely.

Better RPG developers in terms of RPG quality? No. Just no.
But we're on a very good way with Radon Labs, Piranha Bytes and Spellbound being the main force here.

Oarfish said:
This is a painful reminder of the 30 hours of my life I want back from trying to wring some enjoyment from this piece of crap. Somehow it manages to be worse than NWN.

Are you serious? I mean, it's not great, but... I don't see how anyone would claim it to be worse than NWN2. IMHO, Drakensang combat > NWN combat. Drakensang graphics & performance > NWN2 graphics & performance.
Everything else is about the same level of quality. Story, writing in general, character development,...

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
BeholderX said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Situk said:
the first post is just great. already looking the torrent to download this game
Lies.

Drakensang is well worth not removing from an inventory, you're just envious that the Germans are better game developers than the Pollacks.

You completely missed the point. Look who Whiskey is replying to.

Advertising Plant

Advertising Plant

Lonewolf

Novice
I found the magic effects in this game shoite!

Definitely prefer NWN2 to this, if only they made magic a little more appealing to the eyes and not so useless

Someone convince me otherwise, as I love playing a caster but in this game I just can't bring myself to do it

Andhaira

Arcane
Drakensang is superior. The magic should improve as you progress further in the game.

Mystary!

Arcane
Magic was only useful for debuffs and crowd control. Ratsinsky got a lot easier when I could turn the minions in to stone. But as a weapon it sucked, it takes too long to cast.

Perfect Fool

Scholar
I really wanted to like Drakensang, but in the end I couldn't.

I really liked the graphics and the engine seemed stable and smooth, however the combat system was merely OK, the encounter design sucked, the quests were uninspired and the whole thing fell completely flat just after the dwarf city.

I simply couldn't bring myself to fight any more of those big headed undead gnome things, it took ages to kill them and involved next to no strategy. Actually, that was a recurring problem with the game, few of the fights were actually difficult (except the queen rat) but a lot of them took an incredibly long time to slog through and the game simply became tedious after a while.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Lonewolf said:
Someone convince me otherwise, as I love playing a caster but in this game I just can't bring myself to do it

I love playing casters too! Solution: play a different game.
If you otoh seek some intense barrel bashing action - well then just go ahead with Drakensang. I rate it 6/10 yawn (yawn belongs to the rating).

Perfect Fool

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
Can you change the difficulty? Seems interesting but if it's retardedly easy maybe you could put it on Hard/est.

As far as I can remember the difficulty is set, however even if it could be increased, I still have the uncomfortable feeling that the fights would be somewhat dull. I haven't played it since about a week or so after it's release so I'm a bit foggy about the details but some of the problems with combat that stuck in my head:

Enemies can move through your warriors to get to your casters.

Flanking didn't do much (other than overload someone's ability to parry or dodge due to multiple attackers) and I can't recall any sort of backstab mechanic.

Magic was only really effective for buffs/debuffs/healing.

Certain areas were full of high armour, high hit point monsters that did very little damage but took ages to kill (Amoebas, particularly) that were dull to fight against and made certain dungeons a tedious slog.

Saying that, there were a couple of areas that showed promise, I liked the swamp area and the sewer chase, if they kept up a similar quality through the rest of the game it would have been fun. A couple of the side quests were OK, but the majority weren't that good.

However, if they do release a sequel and iron out some of the really boring and annoying bits, while improving the side quests and storyline I think they could have a pretty good game on their hands. I wouldn't bother buying this one though if I were you, I sort of wish that I hadn't.

cutterjohn

Cipher
BeholderX said:
RK47 said:
Ahh that makes more sense now lol. Translation oversight indeed!

The real reason for that bug is that the original game didn't have the whole "doing your basic division work for you" portion which was only patched in when the US publisher complained about complexity. So the German patch team put in a bunch of help text in brackets, and the result is sloppy translation work :?

WhiskeyWolf said:
Situk said:
the first post is just great. already looking the torrent to download this game
Lies.

Drakensang is well worth not removing from an inventory, you're just envious that the Germans are better game developers than the Pollacks.
The Witcher >> Drakensang

drakensang is, barely, a decent CRPG and only seems to be better than it objectively is due to the entire lack of other CRPG options ATM.

The lack of budget in making this game shows in almost every aspect, especially the way that they had to limit access to areas, and jam in so many odd sidequests into one area at a time.

IIRC 3 areas remain open throughout the game, and I'd've gotten all the NPCs ASAP before doing much fighting or finishing any sidequests just to max their xp gains.

Damaging spells are generally weak(and slow to cast) and area of effect spells are deadly as they happily whack your own party members -> buffing, debuffing, summoning, and healing are the best options. (AFAIK it's going to be almost impossible to get very high hp, so just do yourself a favor and skip of the AoEs... probably the single target ones as well so that you can put more points into buffing, etc.)

(L11 or was it 12?) Skeleton summon is supposed to be the best, as after L12 it turns from a fairly kickass skeleton warrior into a woosy assed skeleton mage, who probably also is happy to nuke the party to boot.

Oh yeah, this game has displaced NWN2 for the award of shittiest camera implementation in a game evar!

dragonfk

Erudite
I found Drakensang pretty boring. I didnt get into the the game far(found the murderers in the first city), but the cliched characters and story killed all the fun I could have from developing my character.

Also couldnt we have Bastilla rather than Carth Onasi? plizzzz

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
The game looks pretty shit, but I think I might end up trying it during the winter if I get *that* bored.

How does this fixpack look?
http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/drake ... 07436.html

I have no intention on ever playing the game twice, so I just want to play it to be the best it could possibly be.

Description
This mod will fix some errors in localization and gameplay. And it will also fix
those aspects of the game I didn't find quite balanced.

Main Features
+ Localization fixes (translation)
+ Special abilities fixed (according to desc.) and xp costs adjusted to follow the prices.
+ New equipments
+ Alterations to existing items (to add more variation)
+ Faster but harder treat wounds and -poisons
+ Little bit harder gameplay
+ Better dodge and crossbow bolts
+ Special Dark -beer restores decent amount of ED now (5 -> 15).
+ Specialized mages
+ Much darker dungeons
+ Tougher fights
+ Faster gameplay (faster running speed for everyone!)
+ Better summoned minions
...And lot of other things, see the changelog.

Installation
Just execute "Install.bat" anywhere and start new game. Check readme.txt for more info.

Changelog
v1.72 (hotfix)
- Fixed Light of Praios -scimitar having wrong animation
- Removed extra lines from localization changes.
- Added french translation (by Numberouane)

v1.70
- Higher maximum values for attributes, including PCs (+1)
- Heavy Iryan Leather Greaves matching to Iryan Armor (by Damar Stiehl)
- Fixed loot table (by Qendivardo) from german patch.
- Summons balanced! (*10)
- Added new game icon for shortcut
- Script cleaning and minor bug fixes

v1.62 (hotfix)
- Fix: Some static monsters/npcs got easier instead of getting tougher.
- Faster +25% running speed for everyone (including npcs and monsters)

v1.6
- Miscellaneous bug fixes
- Pick Lock items talent bonuses changed *3)
- Monsters: +25% vitality (ex. 400 -> 500)
- NPCs: +25% to attack value (AT)
- NPCS: +20% to parry and dodge values (PA/DV)
- NPCS: +10% to magic resistance (MR)
- Level cap increased to 25
- More experience points, +15%
- Witch trees will have additional parry per round

v1.5
- Much darker dungeons
- Advantages and disadvantages of fullmages totally changed *9)
- Same for party member mages too (Jost and Gwendala)
- Lower starting values for magic talents. Still same as before if specialized.
- Bandage and Golmoon Tea are now 2.5x more expensive.
- Weapon balsam charges increased to 50
- Whetstone DP increased to +2
- Minor bugfixing and sql script cleaning

v1.4
- Lot of localization fixes related to special ability descriptions
- Major changes to special abilities' XP costs *7)
- Offensive- and Defensive Combat abilities bonuses lowered (+1,+2 and +4).
- Master Parry texts fixed and ED cost reduced to 10 (from 15)
- Master Throw will have proper learn price, different requirements and will also cause a wound
- Power Throw will now stun and ignore armor. *8) Was just weaker version of Master Throw.
- Miscellaneous small fixes related to Special abilities
- Changed monsters' Sweep Attacks to be dodged only (no parry)
- Added PA(and DV) penalty to some monster special attacks
- Removed XP gain penalty, due the new balance changes and feedback from users

v1.31 (hotfix)
- Fixed items not showing in stores
- Removed test script

v1.3
- XP gain fine tune to -20%
- Special Dark -beer now restores 15 ED instead of 5.
- Klarum Purum and Balm of Healing -spells have casting time according to P&P rules
- Changed party member attributes to -1 to follow better P&P archetypes
- Leather Arm Greaves #1 has now new graphics and 0.2 encumbrance
- Leather Arm Greaves #2 has new name "Elven Arm Greaves" with a bit higher price
- Added LOT(!) of new items *5). All with unique icons (and some even with unused model)
- All types of bolts have been improved *6)

v1.2
- More localization fixes
- Changed all healing and pick locks talent items *3)
- Total XP gain lowered even more to -25%
- All party members will have 2 points lower attributes
- Changed new visuals, +1 to HP and new description to Cultist's Dagger
- Added a new dagger to shop in Ferdok *4)

v1.1
- Fixed Hair Pin text from previous version
- Fixed crash related to regeneration bonus
- Changed the crafted iron shield according to non-crafted iron shield
- More localization fixes
- Total Xp gain lowered by -15%, thus making the game much harder(!) in every aspect
- Decreased the vitality and the astral energy regeneration during combat even more
- Added +3 DV to every player character to boost up the dodge
- Added small +DV bonus to few existing items
- Added Pendant of Phex (*2) in loot during the main quest
- Chance to find Bandages or Golmoon Teas from loot decreased to 20% of what it was
- Healing Salve bonus to Treat Wounds set +2 (was +4)
- All main quest weapons are now wieldable by all party members too

v1.0
- Most shields receive additional -1 AT, thus making the game a bit harder
- Total conversion with shields, all 12 are now different (*1)
- Vitality and astral energy regenerate 50% slower
- As slow regeneration in combat as monsters have
- Archetype +/-regen factor changed to only affect when in combat
- Bandage bonus to Treat Wounds set 0 (was +1)
- Whirlweed bonus to Treat Poisons set to 0 (was +1)
- Golmoon Leaf bonus to Treat Wounds set to 0 (was +1)
- Golmoon Tea bonus to Treat Poisons set to +1 (was +3)
- Hair Pin bonus to Pick Locks set to 0 (without pin, penalty is -10)
- Wounds are harder to resist, the penalty increased from -10 to -12 (-10% to chance).
- Skinning and herb gather is now MUCH faster, 1 round instead of 4
- All main quest armor pieces are wearable by all party members
- Small localization fixes (ex. 1W+4 -> 1D+4)

The increase in vitality on monsters looks bad, at least according to the above poster.

dragonfk

Erudite
Everything I wrote is still true for this fixpack. To be precise Ive played the game with it. Boooring.

cutterjohn

Cipher
WholesaleGenocide said:
The game looks pretty shit, but I think I might end up trying it during the winter if I get *that* bored.
yeah it does, but I was trying to imply that w/o saying when I mentioned their subpar level of budget. The quests are so incredibly dull I almost stopped playing it altogether last weekend(well that and my atikmdag thing).

The engine doesn't seem to be even slightly optimized as it plays somewhat sluggishly on a system that should crush it, and it's now started to cause me to get these annoying atikmdag has stopped working messages. Most of the time the driver restarts and the game continues but it take about a minute or so for it to happen.

It's not my GPU as it happens only in this game(at any GPU temp too, even low, like 60C), UFO: Aftershock(buggy as hell anyways and it caused similar problem with nVidia cards), and very rarely in Mount & Blade. (All 3 games from small devs with suspect dev skills.) Whereas STALKER SoC, Oblivious, wannabe FO3, furmark(pegs up to 86C before settling), etc. cause nary a problem. [EDIT2] I have a suspicion that they fucked up their shaders somehow in these games... have to try drakensang under iwne sometime and see if something similar happens there and can see the debug output...[/EDIT2]

I have hopes that this one may have sold well enough for them to do a proper job on River of Time or whatever it's called. The game was only $30 brand spanking fresh off the press, so I won't bag it too much as it's obviously better than a generic indie game, but... they could've done better(see CD Projekt, who also gets bonus points for removing DRM in patch 1.5).

[EDIT]
Also if it were TRULY moddable, I'd give it more slack as well, but... this is all where that rockbottom budget comes into play. I suppose that we should be happy that they managed to finish something kind of decent and mostly playable... (still probably going to go back and finish UFO: Aftermath soon, then Aftershock(well maybe skip this bugfest) then Afterlight...)
[/EDIT]

[EDIT3=this bears repeating]
Oh yeah, this game has displaced NWN2 for the award of shittiest camera implementation in a game evar!
[/EDIT3]

racofer

Thread Incliner
Oarfish said:
That's not fair to say.

Despite all of NWN OC's faults, it was a great base game for user content development. There are several great modules that put to shame a lot of "professional" work, plus it was great fun online.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I played the demo of this game, I watched a friend play it for an hour, and yet the only good thing it has going for it are the boobs on the women.

The story is just one big cliché so far, the combat seems uninteresting and there aren't exactly a lot of options available in regards to quests. To me, it only ranks slightly higher than Oblivion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom