Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age II Preview

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
No one at the prestigious Codex has ever claimed or stated ME2 was an RPG (it's not). At best it has something that could be slightly RPG like, but that is about it.
TPS with RPG elements. There, problem solved :smug:

cogar48 said:
No. But those were the only common elements ME2 was missing.
Erm... how about a stat and/or skill system? You know, the stuff that DEFINES RPGs?

(inb4 "ME2 has a skill system lol")

cogar48

Educated
Sceptic said:
Jaesun said:
No one at the prestigious Codex has ever claimed or stated ME2 was an RPG (it's not). At best it has something that could be slightly RPG like, but that is about it.
TPS with RPG elements. There, problem solved :smug:

cogar48 said:
No. But those were the only common elements ME2 was missing.
Erm... how about a stat and/or skill system? You know, the stuff that DEFINES RPGs?

(inb4 "ME2 has a skill system lol")

Eh it did. Not a very important one. You got me there. Good point. I guess I agree. ME2 != RPG. TPS with RPG elements then. :salute:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"PC gamers tend to be more sophisticated in their tastes and are much harder to please."

No, they don't. Can you explain the success of shit games like the ES series, the Sims, The Witcher, etc.? LMFAO

And, ME2 is an Action RPG that is more rping than many 'full 'rpgs'. It has a character system, it has dialogue skills, it has inventory (just different), it has C&C (and anyone who says it doesn't is fuckin' lying'), etc., etc.

P.S. Bl is not a FPS. It's an ActioN RPG, and a damn good one as well. Unlike AP.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yes princess, Me2 DOES have quite a bit of C&C.... Meaningless Bioawarian they all result in the same thing C&C.

And yes, what SKILLS actually effect dialogue princess? Paragon/Renage is not a skill.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Meaningless Bioawarian they all result in the same thing C&C."

Bullshitz.

"Paragon/Renegade != dialogue skills."

They work the same exact way as dialogue skillz. Nice try, though.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Volourn said:
"Paragon/Renegade != dialogue skills."

They work the same exact way as dialogue skillz. Nice try, though.
Except that they don't require skill points to increase and can't NOT be increased. So yeah exactly the same as dialogue skills. :M

cogar48

Educated
Volourn said:
"Meaningless Bioawarian they all result in the same thing C&C."

Bullshitz.

This all depends on if ME3 is like ME2. If the story actually branches then ME1/2/3 all have good C&C. If it's like ME2 where the choices you made don't affect the story in any meaningful way, then ME2 has Biowarian C&C.

Playthrough 1. No imported character: LETS GO KILL SOME GAIZ

Playthrough 2. Imported character: REMEMBER WHEN YOU KILLED SOME GAIZ? WE'RE GONNA DO IT AGAIN!

Is Bioware :decline: C&C.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Volourn said:
"PC gamers tend to be more sophisticated in their tastes and are much harder to please."

No, they don't. Can you explain the success of shit games like the ES series, the Sims, The Witcher, etc.? LMFAO

And, ME2 is an Action RPG that is more rping than many 'full 'rpgs'. It has a character system, it has dialogue skills, it has inventory (just different), it has C&C (and anyone who says it doesn't is fuckin' lying'), etc., etc.

P.S. Bl is not a FPS. It's an ActioN RPG, and a damn good one as well. Unlike AP.
Yep, definitely putting The Witcher and the Sims in the same line makes you look even smarter than usual Volly.

Achilles

Arcane
Grunker said:
How about this then: I like a dumbed down RPG that does quite good as an action game better than I like a game that ultimately gets boring no matter what I do with it?

Mind you, I actually like both games (and has taken flak for it many times).

I do too, DA more than Mass Effect 2 but I did have fun with ME2 and I would be lying if I said otherwise. The problem is that Mass Effect 2 is supposed to be a RPG. It may be indeed good for what it is, but I really don't like what it is and what it represents.

I would much rather see Bioware go the way of DA-style games. DA had flaws, it had way too much filler combat, but it was a RPG and I enjoyed it more than ME2 because those are the games I like to play.

We may say here that ME2 wasn't a RPG, but the rest of the world doesn't think so. So when we say that ME2>DA, Bioware will not go "we should improve DA", but rather "we have two RPGs and they liked ME2 more. We should totally make DA more like ME" - which is what is actually happening. I don't want RPGs to go down that road.

Twinkle

Liturgist
So when we say that ME2>DA, Bioware will not go "we should improve DA", but rather "we have two RPGs and they liked ME2 more. We should totally make DA more like ME" - which is what is actually happening. I don't want RPGs to go down that road.

Fuck that RPG bullshit. BioWare should return to their roots and make Shattered Steel 2 improving it with hardcore mecha sex. :M

Achilles

Arcane
Well this is something we can all agree on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom