Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age FAQ

sheek

Arbiter
The problem, SerratedBiz is how the game is designed. Baldur's Gate and 99% of modern RPGs and even a good proportion of older games were designed with the 'casual gamer', who would reload/save/cheat in mind. A game designed for those people cannot be played Iron Man enjoyably because they are totally different in focus.

So no, I wouldn't Iron Man Baldur's Gate, because it would be frustratingly difficult to finish and if I made it would be missing out on a lot of content due to missing characters, fewer party skills etc, which would be required to do certain quests.

That is what my complaint is. I want them to start designing games again so Iron Man, or at least keeping reloading within reasonable limits (I have never fetishized pure Iron Man, I find managing your saves/reloads a pathetic thing to spend your free time on)... becomes feasible, encouraged and enjoyable.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
sheek said:
That is what my complaint is. I want them to start designing games again so Iron Man, or at least keeping reloading within reasonable limits (I have never fetishized pure Iron Man, I find reloading gay)... becomes feasible, encouraged and enjoyable.

Completely agree.

If anything, I was only arguing because I never expected Bio to bring this to the game.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
I don't really get the big deal. Yes it's VERY dumb, but it's subtitled the "violence" trailer, which is the equivalent of calling it the retard trailer. It's likely just some LCD marketing coming out of EA.

Solaris

Scholar
What is the problem here? EA/BW are aiming for the mainstream, it was expected. I don't know why some here are pissed. A leopard never changes its spots...

It'll probably be an okay rpg, nothing great. You know, something to pass the time and laugh at since there is fuck all out there these days. Its the best we are likely to get from a big mainstream publisher. I won't be buying it full price though, I'll wait for it to hit the bargin bin.

Re: the video....I see the obligatory sex scene is in. So yes indeed, situation normal for BW then :lol:

oscar

Arcane
A party system similar to JA would be nice. Perhaps you lost a mercanary taking a town and that's rather sad, but so what? Just hire a [maybe a bit worse] replacement.

Ideally rpg's would have tons of potential party members [the better ones being mercanary types who you have to pay now and then] so losing one isn't such a problem but a sacrifice to win that battle.

But this'd have to come at the cost of not very fleshed out party members or a shit ton of work for writers and whatnot. But then again the JA2 mercs all had their own personality's and style.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wilco said:
In BG/IWD I never bought ressurection. Ever.
Assuming you didn't want to lie, I fixed that for you.

Overall a better mechanic though, when your party member is knocked out it doesn't mean they will actually recieve XP (hasn't been stated, but is very possible) in DA.
Because everything else they've said about the game points in that direction?
I'd wager the majority of people who played BG/IWD games reloaded when a character died, this is just saving time.
And I bet the majority of people who play modern RPGs ala KotOR or NWN2 find no challenge or satisfaction in the games and don't bother trying to keep their peeps healthy since a short rest will take care of everything.
With death, I play the game. Without it, I walk through.

Lingwe

Liturgist
You will not be able to randomly kill anyone you want in Dragon Age Origins, as this does not make sense to the world around you.

Cheap option. It just means the desingers don't want to be shitted accounting for the fact that you might kill their all important story piece. How dare you try and get in the way of Bioware trying to tell a cinematic story.

gothfox

Liturgist
Reload/save is simply FAIL. Adapting to it is in my opinion a big part of the RPG decline, a cancer that gnaws away at good gameplay as much or more than shiny grafix.

What you are proposing on the other hand would just kill the genre outright because development won't be profitable because the amount of "iron men" is not enough to compensate for development costs.

Welcome to real life.

Monocause

Arcane
Lingwe said:
You will not be able to randomly kill anyone you want in Dragon Age Origins, as this does not make sense to the world around you.

Well, if I'd kill my dog, my neighbour, the US marshal and his three daughters and some Australian guy it wouldn't make any sense to the world around me too. Somehow, I still can do it (well, skip the US marshal part as he has decent security measures for sure).

Morrowind did it right. You CAN kill anyone around you, but if it's someone important to the story (before they outlive their usefulness), you'll get a "you fucked up, retard" dialogue box, and you could keep playing.

Oh, and sometimes you'd have an alternate way of doing things, so the quest may be not lost forever. I guess they expected people to find Vivec somewhat annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom