Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dos Box and YOU! Edit: Post your Dos Box Icons!

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Pretty stupid and simple question actually but where can I get some icons for dos games for my d-fend reloaded?

I made a couple of my own...but let's be honest, I'm not an artist.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Search for box art/screenshot and then crop/shrink them down to icon-ish size?

keen4title.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Any bmp image can be used as an icon. Just search for "game" logo/cover in google and save it as bmp.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Typically what I do is load up the game, and as soon as the Title screen comes up I then hit CTRL-F5 (to take a screen shot). I then load up the screen shot into Irfanview, resize it to 32 x 32 and then save it as an .ICO file.

For the Ultima's, I found better icons just doing a simple Google Image search. (i.e. Ultima VIII icon).

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Thanks for the advice!

What I am doing is setting up my webbook for hot dos box action.

Currently I have:

Wasteland
Dark Sun
Darklands
Fantasy General
Auto Duel
Master of Magic
Mines of Titan (aka Mars Saga)

These are all games I enjoy and own. Anyone have any other recommendations? I have a ton of old games to look through - but I am interested in what the Codex would recommend.

I also have a full copy of Albion, box, manual, and everything else that Chris Avellone gave me, but I can't get it to work with Dos Box at all. Suggestions there would be welcome.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
GarfunkeL said:
SSI's Gold Box series, along with the Buck Rogers games. There's nearly endless amounts of fun. :cool: Which reminds me, back to the Curse of the Azure Bonds!

Yeah, I own those too. They are in amazing shape, full boxes complete with code wheel. I just don't know if I have the heart to go through them again. I also tend to avoid putting any games on that require journal entries. Wasteland being the exception since I know it like the back of my hand.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Jaesun said:
Typically what I do is load up the game, and as soon as the Title screen comes up I then hit CTRL-F5 (to take a screen shot). I then load up the screen shot into Irfanview, resize it to 32 x 32 and then save it as an .ICO file.

For the Ultima's, I found better icons just doing a simple Google Image search. (i.e. Ultima VIII icon).

I'm gonna do this. Thanks for the advice!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Anthony Davis said:
Thanks for the advice!
I also have a full copy of Albion, box, manual, and everything else that Chris Avellone gave me, but I can't get it to work with Dos Box at all. Suggestions there would be welcome.

I was just quickly reading http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?sho ... 1&letter=A and it seems tons of people are having problems getting this working.

You might have a quick look on the DOSBox forums. There may be a simple solution posted there.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Hey I got an idea, post your Dos Box icons that you have made or downloaded for your favorite games.

We could make some sort of RPG Codex library of dos box icons.

I'll post mine when I get home tonight after work.

DraQ

Arcane
I setup my DOSBox to autorun Norton Commander so I don't need to bother with memorizing paths and filenames while avoiding hassle of listing directories.

It's nice, transparent and user friendly, what more can one need?

Luzur

Good Sir
DraQ said:
I setup my DOSBox to autorun Norton Commander so I don't need to bother with memorizing paths and filenames while avoiding hassle of listing directories.

It's nice, transparent and user friendly, what more can one need?

now why didnt i think of that! dammit i used to be a pro in Norton too.

im getting soft.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I have put my Vista Game Explorer through some major OCD shit complete with personalized Dosbox configs and original box art for every single game. It's something alright. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom