Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions games

visions

Arcane
Which of the three Dominions games is best in your opinion and which would be the best choice to someone who's not familiar with the series?

I downloaded the demo of the first game and it seems interesting, however I'd appreciate any opinions/advice on these games.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
I'd say Dom3 is your best bet and to get the best experience with the game find people to play with. I found them to be pretty boring without playing against people.

To become familiar with it, read the manual and play the tutorial, they help immensely.

Phelot

Arcane
Haven't played any of the first two, but from what I've heard, 3 simply adds more and improves upon the last two so may as well start with that.

Monocause

Arcane
There's no point in reaching for Dom 1 or 2 when you can go straight for 3. Forget about the earlier ones.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Monocause said:
There's no point in reaching for Dom 1 or 2 when you can go straight for 3. Forget about the earlier ones.

I started with Conquest of Elysium II (Which is still p. good, btw) and then have gone through Doms 1-3.

There is a clear "evolutionary path". Some features/playable races are pretty much the only thing you'll be missing out on if you skip the first two games. Dom 3 has grown to be quite a monster content-wise (each patch adding more races/units), so it can be debated that earlier parts of the series are more balanced.

visions

Arcane
Thanks for your input, I'll consider ordering the third one then, when I can afford it. Heard that it has a thick 200 pages+ manual, which makes it somehow more appealing for me.

Downloaded the demos of Dominions 2 and 3 too, but haven't yet played around with them much.

mondblut

Arcane
2 and 3 had little difference between one another, 3 just has more content and slightly improved interface. 1 was smaller and ugly as fuck. Conquest of Elysium is quite a different kind of game, one not to be ignored (it's free anyway).

2 had optional "themes" for races whereas 3 had those themes as separate races scattered among 3 "ages", but you can easily mod them into a single age for a monstrous 72-side free for all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom