Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Distant Worlds is Perfect

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Review ]</strong>

<p>Out of Eight gave sci-fi 4X <a href="http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/Distant.Worlds" target="_blank"><strong>Distant Worlds</strong></a> a glowing <a href="http://www.outofeight.info/2010/04/distant-worlds-review.html" target="_blank">review</a> capped off with an 8 out of 8 score.</p><blockquote><p>What saves Distant Worlds from being completely unmanageable is the optional automation the game features. This allows you to focus on the parts of the game that interests you the most, whether it be the military, ship design, diplomacy, colonization, exploration, economy, or intelligence. Of course, this may left you feeling like your empire is being run without your input, but you can always intervene in any aspect of the game that is being directed by the AI and disable it if you want more direct control. Honestly, running an empire spanning hundreds of star systems and thousands of planets would be too daunting and frustrating otherwise. It seems better to automate most things and intervene when necessary (move troops, build a new ship design, conduct diplomacy). That said, when another race asks you to leave their system, there should be an option to prohibit automated military ships from entering it before war erupts. Distant Worlds features very nice game customization options that are beyond the one-colony norm for the genre: you can start out with a fully colonized system and concentrate on military and economic conflict, rather than wasting your time exploring if you wish. You can also customize the behavior, proximity, and strength of all the alien races, or leave it up to chance. Distant Worlds even lets you edit the galaxy during the game. The interface gives easy access to all of your assets, from the useful expansion planner that makes colonization a breeze to the selection panel where you can cycle through specific ship types easily. The universe of Distant Worlds is alive with activity, with NPC merchants and miners going about their business automatically, leaving you to worry about the big picture: a very nice change of pace from the usually micro-intensive offerings of the 4X genre. You own fleets and bases can be custom designed, choosing from an extensive array of components including weapons, construction yards, fuel storage, life support, research labs, and stealth. Or you can leave the design up to the AI, who tends to produce more scripted but usable offerings and upgrades them as better components become available. The AI puts up a decent fight, invading with force at vulnerable locations when appropriate. People might be miffed that economy and research are both automated, but you can still influence the direction of each by protecting trade routes from pirates and constructing research labs to guide technological advances. It takes some time to learn the game, but this is simply because it is different (in a good way) from other 4X titles. Distant Worlds features uninspired diplomatic options and lacks multiplayer, but these are insignificant complaints in what otherwise is a hallmark 4X strategy title.  </p></blockquote><p>I'm curious if folks around here have such a high opinion of it.
</p>

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
It's by far not perfect, not to mention all the freaking bugs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love it, but I've already spotted some flaws, and gameplay elements that could've been done better. Certainly not perfect, but my favourite space 4x since MoO2.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
pipka said:
The more I read about DW, the more I want to play it.

It has been written in C#.
It has fugly GFX interface.

SE IV, and SE V ship building was better.

They didn't researched technologies, thus that technologies feels artificial.

Norfleet

The design is very good. The UI needs work. The game is unplayable because horrible bugs will eat your game before you ever finish it.

Raapys

Arcane
Sort of an unpolished gem I'd say. Still, even if all the numerous bugs and problems are eventually worked out, it'd by no means be a perfect game.

The research system isn't interesting enough, and neither is ship design and the components available( weapons in particular ). I also fear that the game doesn't actually have enough depth to last all that long; while the first hour in the game can be overwhelming, it's mostly just because of the real-time system and messy game graphics that it appears complicated.

YourConscience

Scholar
Given the patching speed so far I think soon the 8/8 will be justified. Everyone agrees it's an unpolished gem. I'd say it's a large gem and there's lots of polish to be applied.

This game really goes to show that an interesting and deep game doesn't need millions of development dollars. Even nowadays simple 2D sprites are sufficient. And they will also be sufficient in 10 years. Just give me a polished Empire of Fading Suns already...

Disconnected

Scholar
Code Force is suspected of conducting trials on human beings to discover just how badly one can fuck up infinite zoom and still retain any players.

Fuel management in Distant Worlds makes feel management sort of like herding cats. Schrödinger's cats, almost, as you tend not to know exactly what star system they'll be in at any given time.

Saving the game takes exactly long enough to make you want to brew a cup of tea, but is just slightly too fast for you to actually do it.

Stability is about what you'd expect from a house of cards during an earthquake.

The interface is barely legible on a decent sized monitor, so if you don't plan on playing this on your laptop (and DW is fairly resource hungry, so you probably don't), bring binoculars.

Apart from that it has a small gazillion other little problems & bugs (including a weak enemy AI), but nothing game-breaking. The coming patch allegedly fixes some of the problems I just mentioned, but not all of them. And as a total fanboi of what DW tries to do & 4x games in general, I'd have to say: hold off until it's been patched more.

If it does get patched to a state of playability, DW will almost certainly end up my all-time favourite 4x. But clusterfuck is a fine description of it as of version 1.02. I have no idea what Out of Eight was smoking when he played it, but I want some.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
I hope this game's flaws can patched out quickly. I hear this game is very buggy and unstable, so I won't be buying it until it's worth it.

Disconnected

Scholar
Annonchinil said:
Other than automation I do not understand what makes it special.

It's very flexible. You can start the game as a tiny low-tech empire in a cluster of just 100 systems, facing off against - I think the max is - 17 high-tech enemy empires, who between them control virtually all 100 systems. You can also do the exact opposite in a cluster of 1400 systems, if you prefer.

The automation/assist AI can actually play the game for you in its entirety. And I'm pretty sure it has a fair shot at winning too, if you try it on an even playing field. It's really nothing alike the usual assist AI you see in other 4x games.

The game divides your empire into a private and public sector. The private sector generates money goods & resources, but although you do have a degree of indirect control over it, that control is vastly more limited than in other games that relies on indirect control (Dungeon Keeper, Majesty, that sort of thing).

It's a real time game just like Sins of a Solar Empire. It's even node-based-ish like Sins, as combat and such virtually never takes place outside systems. However, there's no such thing as space lanes and you're in no way restricted to individual planet(oid)s or systems. Speaking of Sins, DW has a similar-yet-different piracy system, which actually works quite well and is far more flexible than it is in Sins.

And... Remember how most 4x games feel a bit soulless? DW doesn't. I know, it's a bit strange to say something vague & ineffable like that is outstanding, but it really is.

I don't know that anyone has done an AAR focused on explaining what the player actually does in the game & why, but if you're on the fence you could try requesting one over at the Matrix forums. Chances are someone will indulge you.

OccupatedVoid said:
I hope this game's flaws can patched out quickly. I hear this game is very buggy and unstable, so I won't be buying it until it's worth it.

There's a beta of patch 1.03 out now. I'll try it out later, but it should fix the stability and save issues, as well as a few AI bugs.

If the patch does what it says on the tin and you think you'd like DW if it actually worked, I'd get it if I were you. I wouldn't disagree with Out of Eight's verdict if the game actually worked. It just doesn't as of patch 1.02.

I'll report back on whether the patch fixed the stability & saving issues later, if nobody beats me to it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Disconnected said:
I don't know that anyone has done an AAR focused on explaining what the player actually does in the game & why, but if you're on the fence you could try requesting one over at the Matrix forums. Chances are someone will indulge you.

Just check my LP (still ongoing but I'm not regularly updating right now), it shows most of the game's features.

Disconnected

Scholar
I've been meaning to. I noticed your thread on the Matrix forums the other day, JarlFrank.

Anyway, the beta patch appears to have fixed the constant crashing, saving has been sped up some, and the assist AI's oversights I'd noticed have all been fixed.

If any of you have been holding off on account of the critical bugs, I think it's safe to buy it now.

Note that this doesn't mean the rest of the problems I mentioned have been addressed. The fuel one is the worst (assuming you don't mind mostly interfacing with the game via your keyboard, otherwise it's the mouse navigation that's the worst), but I'm fairly confident they're working on it/redesigning it already for patch 1.04.

DraQ

Arcane
I wonder if someone will ever do a space strategy employing full 3D, full scale systems, orbital mechanics, fuel/reaction mass managment and actual real time + time compression.

A hardcore game for hardcore SF geeks.

Would buy.

Disconnected

Scholar
DraQ said:
Would buy.

In a heartbeat. I've wanted that game since the first time I touched a computer. I'm pretty sure I'd be fine if it didn't have graphics at all, if the other stuff - including realistic tech - was there.

Yeesh

Magister
DraQ said:
I wonder if someone will ever do a space strategy employing full 3D, full scale systems, orbital mechanics, fuel/reaction mass managment and actual real time + time compression.

Would buy.

I just can't seem to think in full 3D. Stupid simian brain.

Shuma

Scholar
Yeesh said:
DraQ said:

Would buy.

I just can't seem to think in full 3D. Stupid simian brain.

Sure you can. The problem is 2D interfaces for 3D games. I'm not convinced adding 3D to space games adds anything more than interface annoyance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom