Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Diablo III item drops will encourage trading

pkt-zer0 said:
Data4 said:
Pre-rendered sprites =/= 3D models.
So, what exactly did they render to get those sprites? Sure, they might've touched up the results afterwards, but it sure looks to me they were using 3D models as the base at the very least.
Yes, they used 3D models to create the sprites, but they didn't use the 3D models in the game, they used the sprites created from the 3D models. The difference between the two is that sprites, you have to create different sprites for each frame of animation, and if there's a lot of animations in a game, the filesize of these sprites would be fucking huge; while with 3D game animation, you don't have to have a different 3D model for each frame of animation, resulting in far smaller ammounts of space being taken up by animation.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
<subject> said:
Yes, they used 3D models to create the sprites, but they didn't use the 3D models in the game, they used the sprites created from the 3D models. The difference between the two is that sprites, you have to create different sprites for each frame of animation, and if there's a lot of animations in a game, the filesize of these sprites would be fucking huge; while with 3D game animation, you don't have to have a different 3D model for each frame of animation, resulting in far smaller ammounts of space being taken up by animation.
Relevance? The contested argument was that it took lots more effort to create D2's animations, not that they took up more space.

pkt-zer0 said:
Relevance? The contested argument was that it took lots more effort to create D2's animations, not that they took up more space.
Shit, i'm a fucking idiot. :oops: I need to remember to read all the posts in their entirety next time.

But still, with sprites, even made with 3D models like diablo, the sprites need to be individually posed and have it's picture taken from the right angle, and then touched up. I'm pretty sure you don't have to do that when using 3D models.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Yeah, question was about in-game and they're sprites, not 3D models. Doesn't matter if at first they were 3D.
Animation in 3D is easier since it's really animation - you take characters hand and move it all about. With sprites they're simply series of pictures and it takes way more work to make even simplest of movements.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Hoaxmetal said:
Yeah, question was about in-game and they're sprites, not 3D models. Doesn't matter if at first they were 3D.
I thought the question was about the creation of said sprites? If they were created by animating 3D models then capturing them at a specific times and angles, then yeah, that does matter. Because, you know, the point was that that takes more effort, as opposed to animating 3D models and making sure they look acceptable viewed at any given time or angle.

J1M

Arcane
I expected the codex to know more about how graphics in games are made. There are too many mistakes in what people are saying about graphics to correct them all. Just a warning if you were thinking about listening to this stuff.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I sure feel safe under J1Ms protection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom