Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War: Beginning of the End

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
00.jpg

"...the grim nightmare of the far future, where there is only war..."
Mankind is once again forced into action, this time entering an uneasy alliance with the Dark Eldar. Emerging after the great victory of the Orks and Imperial Guards, Captain Farkov once again enters an unfamiliar territory. Reports of Chaos Marines was enough to send the Yamaku over orbit. But the outcome is uncertain, for there is another faction behind the shadows.

01.jpg

sm.jpg
Can the dark eldars be trusted, Captain?
com.jpg
I know not. But I do know that we've come here today to secure victory. Onward, my Legion!
sm.jpg
Her Love protects us all.
02.jpg

Elapsted Time: 02m 18s
03.jpg

Scouts report chaos base. Further reconnaissance impossible due to presence of cultist squad and chaos lord.

04.jpg

I respond to the scene to offer safe passage.

ET 02m 59s;

05.jpg

The Chaos Lord predictably gave chase, only to retreat when meeting stiff resistance. Several fleeting cultists were shot dead by our sharpshooters, their soul damned forever in Oblivion.

ET 03m 32s

06.jpg

Elsewhere the mysterious forces of the Tau fended off the Dark Eldar's expansion. Their commander and fire warriors outranging whatever the Dark Eldar has. The Katawa Legion chose to pay no heed. Whatever conflict the Tau had is of no concern to the Legion, we are here for the Chaos.

ET 03m 46s

07.jpg

Another Cultist raid stopped. They flee and begged their dark gods for protection.

ET 04m 28s

08.jpg

Alas it proved to be a distraction, as the Chaos Raptor squadron launched an attack on our undefended listening post, destroying it before our forces can respond. The Chaos Commander is full of trickery.

ET 04m 40s

09.jpg

Immediate retaliation seems impossible. And the Katawa Legion will have to withdraw. Doubts beginning to spread in their mind.

ET 04m 56s

10.jpg

The Dark Elders continue to press onward, attempting to find an opening on the Tau's defenses.

11.jpg

Only to be completely annihilated by volleys of the Tau's Fire Warriors. Not even the Archon was spared.

ET 05m 40s

12.jpg

The Katawa Legion once again fend off a cultist harassment. But there's no clear sign of victory. The Tau grows stronger, while the Chaos' true strength is a mystery. Paranoia and doubt begins to grow.

ET 07m 22s

13.jpg

Attempts to restore confidence by a retaliatory raid is foiled by the presence of the Chaos Lord, accompanied by an upgraded Listening Post. We retreat with questions still in our mind: can we prevail?

ET 08m 49s

14.jpg

The Tau repels another Dark Eldar onslaught on the central square.

15.jpg

In the confusion, the Dark Eldar leader is slain in combat. Tau losses appears minimal.

ET 10m 05s

16.jpg

The Chaos Commander attempts a cultist raid into Dark Eldar territory and was punished severely.

17.jpg

Still, no relief is forthcoming for the Dark Eldar front. Their positions are bombarded by the Skyray Missile Gunship and mass of Fire Warriors await the signal to strike.

ET 10m 52s

18.jpg

Desperate to prove themselves, and leave a mark in this conflict, the Katawa Legion attempts another strike at the flank of the Chaos base. Only to meet a Raptor squad and a heavy bolter turret.

ET 10m 59s

19.jpg

The Dark Eldar-Tau conflict is about to reach its climax as both forces converge on the Dark Eldar base.

20.jpg

Two land speeders from the Katawa Legion is sent to assist, contact was lost mere seconds after the exchange of fire begins.

ET 11m 15s

21.jpg

The alliance looks extremely fragile. The Dark Eldars backs are against the wall...

22.jpg

A last ditch assault led personally by me will attempt to break the siege.

23.jpg

It appears to be working.

25.jpg

Rockets explode on impact, and the assault is broken over thrown grenades, but more Fire Warriors can be seen marching behind the wreckages of the Skyrays. The Katawa Legion had no desire to abandon the fight, but another matter demands more attention...

ET 12m 23s

24.jpg

The Chaos Commander started a frontal assault. If the Legion does not fall back, all is lost.

26.jpg

The Outer defensers are lost. The Katawa Legion entrances themselves in the inner perimeter, daring the Chaos to advance. They did not.

For a time there is quietness...yet discomfort grows from within, eventually casting doubts of whether victory is even a possibility at this point. It will take very little to push the doubts into certainty...

27.jpg

...in the form of a Chaos defiler.

sm.jpg
They're coming, Captain. What should we do?
com.jpg
We shall die with honor.

RK47

Patron
com.jpg
FIGHT ON!
01.jpg

Bolter fire poured over the Chaos forces, yet they remain steadfast in their assault. Determination gave way to desperation.

02.jpg

A doombolt broke the resolve of one of the squad.

03.jpg

Unknown chaos toxins unleashed, fouling the air.

04.jpg

We fled as the Tau hover tanks rained death with defilers in tow. There will be no rescue.

05.jpg

No redemption.

06.jpg

The Tau firepower is absolute. Seared flesh, separated from bones, and missile barrages cleansed the ground of any fortifications. The Dark Eldars were incapable of removing the threat...and is at the end of their resistance.

07.jpg

We can only await our inevitable defeat...

08.jpg

The Dark Eldar army vanishes without a trace. Only ashes remain.

09.jpg

The Katawa Legion attempts to break through, only to withdraw under heavy fire from cloaked tau vehicles.

10.jpg

Defilers continue to blast at our fortifications. They are merely toying with their prey...

11.jpg

One last hurrah...

12.jpg

Our arrival in the Dark Eldar's compound found their fortress levelled. We will not save them, but we shall scar their destroyers.

13.jpg

com.jpg
LET TREATMENT COMMENCE! SHED THE TEARS OF THE BLIND MAIDEN!
14.jpg

sm.jpg
HISAO HISAO HISAO! WE HATE YOU HISAO!
15.jpg

We failed to save the Dark Eldars...but soon, we'll be made to pay the price.

ET 19m 59s

16.jpg

com.jpg
WILL YOUR HEARTS BE TRUE?
sm.jpg
OUR HEARTS SHALL BE BROKEN!
com.jpg
AND THAT ALONE MAY SUFFICE TO BRING HER BACK!
17.jpg

If only it were so.

18.jpg

The arrival of the Bloodthirster signals our utter defeat on the hands of Chaos. I have no excuse.

19.jpg

I was simply incapable of leading my men to victory and all of the Legion will pay the price...

20.jpg

sm.jpg
Captain! Quickly! To the Warhawk, we can still retreat to the Yamaku!
com.jpg
No. I-

21.jpg

com.jpg
Forgive me.

22.jpg

sm.jpg
CAPTAIN!!

23.jpg

com.jpg
Leave me...

24.jpg

com.jpg
...I may be disabled...still I can...

24a.jpg

The roaring sound of the Warhawk's engine confirmed the last of my legion's departure. No finer squad I shall lead. The Blind Maiden has averted her gaze from me today. And rightfully so.

25.jpg

-FIN

lightbane

Arcane
WHat? You lost against the CTau?? :decline:

Also, it wouldn't hurt you to use a custom skin/paint for your army (for example the pink color) :M .

RK47

Patron
I don't think it's possible to beat Tau without extreme efforts. In contrast, Tau players were given a choice of actively attacking or remain passive behind cover of fire. I don't really have a lot of experience in DoW, but that's my impression when you face an enemy that severely outranges you from the start to mid game: you're under pressure. If you let him build up, he'll overwhelm you. If you attack him early, there's a chance, but if you fail, that's the end of it.

RK47

Patron
The Battle of Cautions

st.jpg
We've found a human. Barely alive.
tc.jpg
Bring him to me. Perhaps he may be of use to the Greater Good.
st.jpg
But without the Ethereal caste's..
tc.jpg
Do so. We will judge this one's value on his own merits.

Days later...

tc.jpg
Is he awake?
st.jpg
His wounds are healed, yet his mind is still unwilling.
fw.jpg
Perhaps he is not made to be the fire caste as we though...
com.jpg
Arghh...who are you? Xenos?
tc.jpg
My name is Larpius. I serve the Greater Good.

Valley of Khorne.

01.jpg

tc.jpg
Welcome to our base, Captain.
com.jpg
Have you come to encroach upon our lands once more?
tc.jpg
We would do no such things, the Chaos forces in this area are growing. We merely seek peaceful resolution, but such men do not negotiate well. Our emissaries were slain. We will now proceed with the final option.

And so Captain Farkov bears witness to this battle between Tau & Chaos...

Elapsed Time 0m 27s

02.jpg

Fast. Faster than I ever thought possible. The ways of Chaos is indeed full of recklessness.

ET 01m 30s

03.jpg

Squads of the Tau Fire Warrior and Chaos Raptors clash on the center of the valley. The Firewarriors beat a hasty retreat.

04.jpg

The tau options at the start seems limited when facing close combatants, yet the Tau Commander arrival changes things.

05.jpg

Employing deadly firepower and snare mines, the Tau Commander succeeded in forcing the Raptor squad to retreat to the skies.

06.jpg

ET 03m 26s

07.jpg

Not limiting himself to ranged combat, the Tau Commander also employs the flamethrower. Cultists raiders melt under his flames.

ET 05m 02s

08.jpg

The Taus commence construction of the Path of Enlightenment, this teaches their army more improvements and unlocks additional vehicle constructions.

09.jpg

The Chaos have already started summoning their Chaos Sorcerer.

10.jpg

What do they have in mind? My overall evaluation of this battle remains mixed. The defeat still fresh in my mind, I recall the Chaos brutality and the Tau's ranged superiority that did our fragile alliance in. Which is better and why?

ET: 07m 08s

11.jpg

Perhaps my question will be answered. Khorne berzerkers and raptors, supported by cultists marches forth through the center of the valley.

12.jpg

The raptor squad takes minor hits as the Stealthteams and Tau Commander rain fire on them.

13.jpg

The arrival of the berzerkers turn the tide of battle.

14.jpg

Engaging their jumpjets, the Tau Commander and his stealth team takes to the sky, away from harm.

15.jpg

Almost immediately, the fire warriors march forth to rain covering fire from atop the hill. Since an uphill battle against Tau is suicidal, the Chaos army retreats to rebuild.

ET 09m 49s

A period of quietness followed, both armies are ready to clash once more in the center.

16.jpg

Who will prevail?

Renegen

Arcane
-- RK47 says Tau are OP

-- RK47 decides to play as Tau

Well so much for appearing noble.

RK47

Patron
Clash of Patience

02.jpg

The mark is on the enemy. A death sentence by the Tau. As the Khorne berserkers advance in open ground, the Fire Warrior opened fire without reserve.

03.jpg

Can a sorceror's doombolt turn the tide?

04.jpg

The Tau Commander Flame Thrower once again proving the equalizer at close range.

05.jpg

Total annihilation. The Chaos Lord flees to his base. The lack of mobile forces cost the Chaos dearly. The absence of the Raptors is possibly the main cause of this.

06.jpg

Still, the chaos brings forth a machine pit to begin construction of their vehicles.

07.jpg

The Tau army advances, Chaos made no attempt to hide their retreat. Is this the finishing blow?

08.jpg

Chaos Cultists bought some time, but they too fell to the fire warrior's rail gun. Suddenly the Tau army came to a complete stop. I wonder why this is the case. Surely they have enough advantage?

09.jpg

The Tau Commander unleashes a salvo of missiles from his shoulder racks instead.

10.jpg

Enraged, the Sorceror unleashes doombolts, barely wounding the Commander. Is the Tau being too overly cautious here? Or am I just being too arrogant in being the uninvolved observer?

11.jpg

It is then the answer came: the Taus were waiting for the Skyray long range support vehicle.

12.jpg

Unfortunately, the delay gave enough time for the Chaos to raise an army of demons and a Defiler.

13.jpg

They've already started their effort to break through the siege.

14.jpg

The Skyray exchanged fire with the infernal machine. Both sides content to watch.

15.jpg

Eventually the Defiler retreats, heavily damaged. The Skyray did not leave. It intends to put in more hurt on the Chaos stronghold.

16.jpg

With its missile barrage shaking the berserkers off their feet.

17.jpg

In a desperate gambit, the Chaos Lord sacrifices himself to become the Demon Prince!

18.jpg

Legions of the Chaos charge at the line, spearheaded by their damned prince.

19.jpg

The line seems broken...yet the Fire Warriors seem relatively unharmed. Commander Larpius takes no risk, he decides to delay the demon army as the warriors retreat to reform.

20.jpg

The Skyrays pummel at the advancing Demon Prince, as the Tau defensive line is reformed.

21.jpg

In the midst of battle, The Tau Commander is caught unprepared in the middle of the battleground!

tc.jpg
Skyrays, missile barrage on my coordinates! Now!
fw.jpg
Shas'o! Activate your jetpacks! Now!
tc.jpg
For the Greater Good!

22.jpg

The giant sword of the Demon Prince cleaved through the Battlesuit, mortally wounding the Tau Commander as the ground they fought on glowed hot blue from the Skyray's barrage.

23.jpg

The Tau Commander has fallen.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Daemon prince? that shizz is weak.

Possesed or obliterators on the other hand, that would be gg.

RK47

Patron
The Chaos Prince march into the inner perimeter, energy blasts raining on him as soon as he took the first step into the radius of the famed Tau defensive line.

01.jpg

fw.jpg
Shas'las! Do not forget Shas'O's sacrifice! We MUST hold the line!

02.jpg

The Deamon prince summons more of his minions, Obliterator squads appearing out of thin air, followed by other manner of demons. Yet the combined power of the Tau's technology and determination held out, the Daemon Prince's lost his nerve and retreats.

03.jpg

Leaving behind his minions in a stream of yet another Skyray bombardment.

04.jpg

The rejuvenated Tau Commander returns to battle, ready to lead the charge once more.

05.jpg

Yet he prefers to gather his strength and invoke the path of the patient hunter, the Kau'yon. No assaults were made by the Chaos at this point, they need more time to replenish their losses.

06.jpg

com.jpg
I don't understand this, Larpius.
tc.jpg
What do you not understand?
com.jpg
You have the edge, the advantage. Surely you felt it earlier, why not press on?

The battlesuit vision scopes glows brighter red as the Tau Commander tries to find the briefest answer.

tc.jpg
The patient hunter gets his prey.
st.jpg
Shas'O, the Skyrays are ready. A broadside battlesuit is also available for command.
tc.jpg
Then we strike. Prosper, the Tau Empire shall.

07.jpg

The battle in the valley resumes. The Skyrays clearing a path for the rest of the Tau.

08.jpg

The Chaos forces reacts violently, summoning their strongest frontliners to deal with the onslaught.

tc.jpg
Spring the trap! Unleash the Knarloc!

A massive beasts is set loose to meet the challenge.

09.jpg

com.jpg
A beast like this at their disposal...

11.jpg

The Chaos however, refuse to back down. Again the Daemon Prince leading the charge personally.

tc.jpg
Focus fire on the demonspawn!

12.jpg

Massive waves of toxins are unleashed in the air as the battle noise reaches a high crescendo. Bolters, plasma fire, railguns, snare traps and Broadside barrage fills the air. And ITZ happened.

13.jpg

com.jpg
By the Empress!

14.jpg

com.jpg
A bloodthirster!
tc.jpg
Let our mighty beast handle it! Shas'las! To me!

15.jpg

The wingest daemon tears into the battles lines of the Tau, as the greater Knarloc finishes off the obliterator squads.

16.jpg

The deamon is now alone.

tc.jpg
We've trapped it! Deliver the Mont'ka!

17.jpg

com.jpg
Well, Larpius, are you still going to wait for more reinforcement?
tc.jpg
I see your point. Advance! Form the line at the center of the valley!

18.jpg

A small makeshift defense is all that remains at the center. Four turrets and a defiler tries to slow down the Tau Advance, but with the amount of firepower available to the Tau disposal is simply too overwhelming.

19.jpg

They've broken through. The Chaos forces will make their last stand.

20.jpg

In the showers of blood.

21.jpg

tc.jpg
It comes! One last obstacle to the Greater Good! Stealthteams! ENGAGE!
st.jpg
Affirmative.

22.jpg

As quick as lightning, the stealth teams perform a raid on the enemy's Machine Cult.

23.jpg

While the Greater Knarloc distracts the Bloodthirster in the center. The beast gave its life fully...

24.jpg

And the Bloodthirster fell to the concentrated fire.

com.jpg
They've retreated.
tc.jpg
Indeed.
com.jpg
Will you not pursue?
tc.jpg
We have nary the means. Nor do we need to. It is not our objective. Will you join us, in achieving the Greater Good?
com.jpg
I have failed my Empress. I have no cause to fight for.
tc.jpg
Is that consent, Captain Farkov?
com.jpg
Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
tc.jpg
We've gained much today. Come. You must meet the Ethereal caste.
25.jpg

GreyViper

Prophet
Small tip for future in DOW1 as SM sending cheap units like scouts to CQC against tau works well. Same with tactical squads but scouts are cheaper and you can rush with them faster. Tau hate CQC alots so drop a few assault squads when you see them bunching up and dont let them use their ranged weapons. You also might consider dread spam cheap yes, but effective.
But I have a question why SS and not Dark Crusade with FoK Mod? Since it nicely re-balances most races yet adding a lot of options, also people who might be pros in vanilla DOW would be on the same level with you since it changes vanilla DOW rules so much.

RK47

Patron
Thanks for the tip GreyViper, we're just beginners exploiting every single broken aspect of the game. XD Jaedar and Roxor are the real pros here.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Man, I wish I could join with Sisters but since i'm total n00b when it comes to MP (and I'm sailing the seven seas of grim darkness), I better not sully their reputation further.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom