Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Colony

BrecMadak

Novice
I can't imagine a RTS that I'd enjoy in playing as much as I did with KKND 1&2. Just unearthly unique addiction it has, and even today doesn't look dated.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can't imagine a RTS that I'd enjoy in playing as much as I did with KKND 1&2. Just unearthly unique addiction it has, and even today doesn't look dated.
7DF2364FEBAB436DEABB4DFBD8FFA713.jpg

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I remember Dark Colony fondly. You only needed 1 cd per 2 players in multiplayer, so you could get some big games going even if your friends were too cheap to buy the thing.

Hellraiser

Arcane

KKND 2, for a game that has mostly palette swap armies similar to Warcraft 2, is ridiculously solid RTS action. And it still looks bloody good. Campaign is a blast, quite a few challenging and well designed missions, apart from the obnoxious Series 9 stronghold (tight corridors make that map a chore). Overall the game is most certainly the best C&C clone, improving in many ways over C&C itself. It came out too late to be noticed, sadly.

Not as good as TA mechanics-wise, but if you enjoyed the first C&C or Red Alert there's no reason not like KKND 2 and the game aged far better than those two, not just graphically but also mechanically. Much better sidebar interface and construction mechanics, and there is unit veterancy, and there is unit design. Also some pretty smart AI, it analyzes your base defenses and find the weakest entrance.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Well, when you're not complicating any other mechanics, it gives you time to focus on making everything else solid.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had a lot of fun with Dark Colony on my the first PC, back when I was 9-10 years old. However when I tried to replay it recently it was rather mediocre. The game has too dumb AI and in general it's just too simplistic. Good atmosphere though, most RTS games are fucking fantasy or some other kind of trippy-happy colourful crap (yes, I include Starcraft in colourful crap too).

Norfleet

Well, crap is generally colorful so you can see it. If everything were uniformly realistic, you'd be hard-pressed to spot most units, given that "realistic" = "camouflage", where being hard to see is the entire point.

DraQ

Arcane
Well, crap is generally colorful so you can see it. If everything were uniformly realistic, you'd be hard-pressed to spot most units, given that "realistic" = "camouflage", where being hard to see is the entire point.
Well, DC had easily identifiable colors without being nearly as garish as pretty much any other RTS.
Visually it *was* top-notch.

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-tmj/tm-journals/2023-050/WO0000001763879.html

Trade Mark Journal No.2023/050 15 December 2023​

WO0000001763879 (9,41,42)​

Office of origin: European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO)

Date of International Registration:31 July 2023
Date of designation in the UK: 31 July 2023
Image for mark 1763879_TIF DARK COLONY

International priority date claimed: 7 April 2023 (European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO))(018859611)
Class 9Computer gaming software; games software; downloadable computer games; video games [computer games] in the form of computer programs recorded on data carriers; electronic downloadable publications in the field of video games; software programs for video games; virtual reality game software; downloadable game software; game development software; recorded computer game programs; augmented reality game software.Class 41Computer and video game amusement services; video game services; on-line gaming services; providing a computer game that may be accessed by users on a global network and/or the internet; providing a computer game that may be accessed network-wide by network users; game services provided online from a computer network; provision of non-downloadable games on the Internet; provision of on-line computer games; providing on-line interactive computer games; electronic games services, including provision of computer games on-line or by means of a global computer network; multimedia publishing of electronic publications; virtual reality game services provided on-line from a computer network.Class 42Software as a service [SaaS]; platforms for gaming as software as a service [SaaS]; software development, programming and implementation; computer programming of video games.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

International priority date claimed: 7 April 2023 (European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO))(018859611)
Class 9Computer gaming software; games software; downloadable computer games; video games [computer games] in the form of computer programs recorded on data carriers; electronic downloadable publications in the field of video games; software programs for video games; virtual reality game software; downloadable game software; game development software; recorded computer game programs; augmented reality game software.Class 41Computer and video game amusement services; video game services; on-line gaming services; providing a computer game that may be accessed by users on a global network and/or the internet; providing a computer game that may be accessed network-wide by network users; game services provided online from a computer network; provision of non-downloadable games on the Internet; provision of on-line computer games; providing on-line interactive computer games; electronic games services, including provision of computer games on-line or by means of a global computer network; multimedia publishing of electronic publications; virtual reality game services provided on-line from a computer network.Class 42Software as a service [SaaS]; platforms for gaming as software as a service [SaaS]; software development, programming and implementation; computer programming of video games.
What does that mean?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What does that mean?
Corpse penetration.

Hydro

Novice
I liked it because it was gory and creepy, I couldn’t git gud tho. Ai was very expansive, while I liked slow-paced defensive gameplay, which was a sure way to get fucked. Also units as well as upgrades and buildings were expensive and slow to produce, so it was very hard to recover after losing a skirmish.

Harthwain

Magister
dark reign was shit though. i remember this game - the demo wouldn't even start on my computer.
Dark Reign 2 was cool. I enjoyed playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom