Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DAO restropective

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Good
High Replay Value
Exciting Story
Great RPG Mechanics

The Bad
Poor terrain Textures
A few noticeable poor Animations
Forgettable Graphics

Say what? Funny how it's exactly the other way around...

Animeadam

Novice
Fucking HELL he's not explaining why he just saying it's this this and this. THAT'S NOT A REVIEW.

Angthoron

Arcane
Jools said:
The Good
High Replay Value
Exciting Story
Great RPG Mechanics

The Bad
Poor terrain Textures
A few noticeable poor Animations
Forgettable Graphics

Say what? Funny how it's exactly the other way around...

No, actually that second part is spot on. You're thinking the first part here.

Also, I don't get how no-one ever mentions how strong the uncanny valley is in this title.

ironyuri

Why do all 3 dot points under "The Bad" refer to the same problem?

Poor textures, poor animations and forgettable graphics are part of the same fucking problem.

The Good offers:

High replay value?

In what way? The different Origins stories offer only superficial differences to the actual game itself and these only in the way of flavour text and dialogue. As an elf you are not excluded from any quests ebcause of racial prejudice, as an apostate mage you are not prevented from doing the warden's work. etc etc.

Exciting Story:

The same story as we witnessed in the last 3 Bioware titles. World destroying evil, unite allies OR travel to 4 hubs to get required McGuffin to defeat evil. Romance whiney bitch A or bitchy bitch B.

Great RPG Mechanics:

An attribute system which encouraged dumping all stats except DEX and STR for fighter and rogues and dumping everything but willpower for mages.

A skill tree with more useless skills than you can shake a stick at, none of which were properly tied to the ATTRibute system...

Yes. Mechanics... great RPG mechanics there.

Character development railroaded by the need to fight hundreds of trashmob encounters and no ability to play a non-fighter style class...

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
From that article.

Design

As you venture through Ferelden you will notice certain originality present within the environments themselves. The lands seem to have a purpose and a meaning behind them and don’t feel as if they were just randomly placed. The castles and towns are fun to explore with a lot of loot to be gained. What’s there not to love?

WHAT.
THE.
FUCK?

attackfighter

Magister
Jools said:
From that article.

Design

As you venture through Ferelden you will notice certain originality present within the environments themselves. The lands seem to have a purpose and a meaning behind them and don’t feel as if they were just randomly placed. The castles and towns are fun to explore with a lot of loot to be gained. What’s there not to love?

WHAT.
THE.
FUCK?

Loot to be gained? Does he mean trawling through a billion copy-pasted barrels to find some randomely generated trinkets? And what's there to explore, no town had more than 3 or so locations of interest. Even the capital city was pretty barren; most of it was empty save for a few interchangable mobs that the sidequests mandated you kill (through a few, lame lines of flavour text I might add).

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
attackfighter said:
Jools said:
From that article.

Design

WHAT.
THE.
FUCK?

Loot to be gained? Does he mean trawling through a billion copy-pasted barrels to find some randomely generated trinkets? And what's there to explore, no town had more than 3 or so locations of interest. Even the capital city was pretty barren; most of it was empty save for a few interchangable mobs that the sidequests mandated you kill (through a few, lame lines of flavour text I might add).

What really hurts me is the "originality" bit, really...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ironyuri said:
High replay value?

In what way? The different Origins stories offer only superficial differences to the actual game itself and these only in the way of flavour text and dialogue. As an elf you are not excluded from any quests ebcause of racial prejudice, as an apostate mage you are not prevented from doing the warden's work. etc etc.
Didn't you play it to completion twice? Why yes, yes you did. Also, replay value isn't just about seeing content you were excluded from seeing the first time. You liked it enough to play it twice after all. :smug:

ironyuri

Roguey said:
ironyuri said:
High replay value?

Didn't you play it to completion twice? Why yes, yes you did. Also, replay value isn't just about seeing content you were excluded from seeing the first time. You liked it enough to play it twice after all. :smug:

Yes, I did like it enough to play it twice. I've played PS:T a good 4-5 times though and Bloodlines 3 times. Just because I played it to completion (which is fairly easy once you've done it once) does not mean that it was a stellar experience.

First playthrough to get through the game, second to play a completionist game and see all available content. I also don't see how that's relevant to this discussion.

High replay value means that you can replay the game endlessly receiving wildly different content. My second playthrough was rather boring but my character build worked much better because I didn't make my attributes so diffuse as on the first (focused on STR and DEX whereas on the first I balanced it and it made fights harder and more of a chore). The second playthrough revealed the limitations of the game and how superficial the touted replayability really was, ie: that different Origins offer no difference in overall narrative experience.

The fact I tried to replay it and found the experience to be unrewarding makes me qualified to make such a statement. So get the fuck out you edgy angry Codex cunt.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"High replay value means that you can replay the game endlessly receiving wildly different content. "

No rpg has 'high replay value' according to yiourd efintion. i tend to get bored of rpg after 2-3 playthrough no matter what even if they're my favorites.

ironyuri

Volourn said:
"High replay value means that you can replay the game endlessly receiving wildly different content. "

No rpg has 'high replay value' according to yiourd efintion. i tend to get bored of rpg after 2-3 playthrough no matter what even if they're my favorites.

In argument construction, the technique I just used is called "hyperbole". The point was that high replay value implies that you will experience the game differently based on different character builds. But, whatever.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Fuck you. Fuck you, and your hyperbole. Fuck you, and your hyperbole TO DEATH.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Your comment is awaiting approval.

Don't have high hopes of it actually being shown anytimes soon :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom