Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conversation Options and Protagonist's Personality

John Yossarian

Magister
Naked Ninja, I saw your name in blue somewhere, so if it's not a mistake, you are probably the first person to go from regular, to weasel, back to regular then to mod or whatever in about two weeks. To quote the senator they're discussing in GD, "woot,woot".

galsiah

Erudite
PseudoIntellectual Snob said:
But that does not make it any less LARPing, as it is completely divorced of the involved game mechanics and logic.
And so is playing to "win" the game. For a player who primarily wants to roleplay his character, it's entirely unclear that "winning" the game is the point of the game. "Victory" in an RPG is not part of the mechanics of the game or the game world - it's all just stuff that happens. Pursuing an end in an RPG is always based outside the mechanics - it must be as soon as there is more than one allowable ending (and it's also arguable whether any ending is the point). It's all LARPing in some sense. The only difference is the amount of interest in and support for that LARPing. It's about what makes for interesting/entertaining play.

Exempli Gratia, When you play chess, you are not LARPing if you want to win as "victory" is part of the game's own logic, just as survival and defeat are (even if abstracted).
Bad example, since chess is hardly an RPG. However, you say it yourself: "victory" is part of the game's own logic. That is not true in an RPG.

However, I'll even disagree with the validity of your thinking on chess. The purpose of playing chess is NOT to win. It's to have an interesting game. When I play chess, I'm pursuing entertainment - victory is an occasionally important subgoal. Will I make dubious decisions if it makes a game more interesting? Yes. Will I make intentionally not-great-but-interesting moves against players with less experience? Again, yes.
I do this to make the process of playing more interesting and entertaining - in pursuit of my ultimate goal: entertainment.

Am I LARPing chess? Surely I am - such decisions are based on aims outside the mechanics of the game.
So what?

i suck at examples
Indeed you do.

I love Latin, by several reasons.
Fair enough. Feel free to use it. Just don't expect people to think you're not daft for saying Exempli Gratia rather than e.g. "e.g." is brief, correct and widely understood. Exempli Gratia takes considerably more effort to make yourself less understood. It's hardly odd to expect communication to be your primary goal in making a forum post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom