Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex PnP: Godlike interest topic

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm recreating this topic here in case people might actually get interested (so far I've received on character)...

So I was thinking about running a pnp RPG campaign here on the Codex. The game in question would be using Godlike.

Here's the story pitch: The game would run in two timeframes, first taking place in the 60's in what appears to be our history (no parahumans or anything like that) until the pencil-pushing PCs come into possession of a top secret file that places everything they know about history into question. The second one taking place during the closing days of World War 2, following a group of Allied parahumans who stumble on the trail of suspicious events behind the scenes.

Some players would play characters that are only taking part in the 60's portion, while others have the Talents that are active in both, as parahuman soldiers in WW2 and in the 60's as old men without powers or memory of any such thing like Talents ever being real (much less themselves being one, though naturally dreams of flying are accepted) that the 60's PCs then start locating, with the plot then opening the mystery from two timeframes.

Now, to detail the system a bit. Godlike is a WW2 superhero roleplaying game with the tagline "You are larger than life. But the war is larger than you." The game itself takes place in an alternate history much like our own, except in 1938 the Olympic Torch was carried by a flying man, with more parahuman Talents emerging as the war began. The key element is that the chief inspiration behind the game are Alan Moore comics, and as such the key aspect is that in it all superpowers use Miracleman rules: Everything is mind over matter, nobody is actually super-strong or similarl. In fact, no parahuman exhibits any real physical difference from humans, the very first parahuman, Der Flieger, only could fly because he truly believed being a pure Aryan granted him superpowers (meta-game knowledge, ingame the reason is largely unknown). This is used to great effect with the game mechanics, with the key stat behind superpowers being Will, and as your mental focus deteriorates you run the risk of your powers failing. Similarly, it serves as a weakness as by default powers require you to be aware, with one of the sample NPCs (Lawrence Clyde Moreland AKA The Indestructible Man) being completely invulnerable but ONLY when he knew he was about to be hurt. Similarly, the setting is a tights-free zone (aside from the Nazi Überkommando of the Rasse-und Siedlungs Hauptamt Sonderableitung A, or RuSHA SA, Nazis being such Wagnerian melodramatics), and the parahumans do not alter world history.

The game uses a very interesting d10 system, called the One-Roll Engine, which uses two measures for success: "Height" (highest number, or the numerical value of dice set in Width) and "Width" (highest number of matched dice rolls) of the roll. Generally the idea of the system is a dice pool system where EVERYTHING is handled with a single roll, with iniative, hitting and damage all being combined into a single roll when fighting, for example.

I do recommend reading the core book regardless, it's a very good alternate history setting, and a very good superhero setting. There's a lot of thought put into it, and the manipulated (and real) photographs that make up the artwork work wonders to set up the atmosphere. It's also very un-epic (in a way), which I'm sure the Codex likes.

I'm prepared for 4-6 bros to join.

FYI, RPtools and other map programs will NOT be used. It'll be talk things over, dice roll, post in topic; the usual pnp thing except on teh internets. Otherwise just a chat program needs to be figured out, possibly Skype. I'm also letting you guys roll your own dice to make things move faster.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I will need six characters in the '45 line-up. The location is Reims at May 6th, 1945. Two players can have German parahuman characters who accompany Alfred Jodl. The rest will be Section Two talents working for the Allies. You all get 90 Will Points to spend. These characters will receive Commando skills for free (see, page 33).

In addition, people need to have their present day characters. These characters do NOT receive Will Points. Three of you can play as the aged version of (you can now vote whether or not you want the present day to be 70's or 80's, which effects how grouchy your old men can be) your '45 characters, who will be introduced as the story goes by. Your stats will be modified from the '45 version based on life as a regular joe after the War, since as you know none of you know you ever were more than human.

The new present day characters are normal people, but start with two additional stat points and five extra skill points. The only limitation you all have is that you need to be staff at the United Nations Plaza in New York, and you know each other by name. Specifically, you work at the United Nations Postal Administration at the General Assembly Building.

After I've got at least six players with characters, I'll start serious writing work on the campaign. If we're fast and lucky, I might be ready to start next Thursday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom