Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex HOI2 Online Thread - Sign Up!

Hey guys.

I think we should decide on a date first, and who is going to play, which countries everyone will be, which campaign, etc.

In my opinion, 1944 campaign is the way to go. Or maybe The Road to War?

The country I'm going to play depends on the campaign we choose.

What do you guys think?

sheek

Arbiter
How does multiplayer HoI work? I've never tried it, because it didn't seem that interesting. Do you use the basic scenario, who controls how fast the game goes, etc? Any videos of it in action?

I'd be GMT if I decide to join, early evening would be best.

Erzherzog

Magister
I don't know, was WW2 with teams or was it a free for all?

My anti-virus hates GamersGate so I'll have some trouble downloading it and re-installing.

At any rate: -6 GMT American Midwest

sheek

Arbiter
The 'alpha' is

I would recommend using Mod33 which uses v1.3, but the latest version is still only in French and it has some bugs (particularly in China). Also some events are quite badly designed in that they screw you unless you know in advance and prepare for them.

I LAN'd the game with two other guys this weekend, we played twice and both games didn't work out very well.

The first time, I was Greece, and my friends were Nationalist Spain and Germany. I was playing the game the way I normally do (Ultra fast speed, pausing every 10 seconds to adjust plans and production).

After a while my friends started complaining about getting there ass kicked and that the game was going too fast. Turns out I was fucking up their battles because of ultra speeding+pausing all the time which messed up their game.

Second time, we played Hungary, Austria, Yugoslavia. The Comintern declared war on us and began skullfucking Hungary. We tried to join the axis to get German help but they refused. We quit the game after USSR took Hungary. This time we played on 'Normal' speed and 1 pause every five minutes.

Online it will be even harder to keep the game fair. I say we should use below average speed, or maybe even slowest. When someone wants to pause game, say it on chat and if at least one other person wants to pause as well then they can pause.

If someone breaks the rule then we can name&shame them here on the 'dex. :p

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Use above-average speed until war breaks out. Then save and re-launch game with below average speed.

Also, you need some house rules if players are in different alliances - otherwise it's too easy for USA and USSR to fuck Germany completely over. Like, that USSR and USA has to trade with Germany and that everyone has to play historical until their historical DOW.

Or you could play one of the new, balanced MP scenarios that came with Armageddon.

sheek

Arbiter
Above average speed is like a day every 10 seconds. A year would take one hour... sounds a bit slow.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
sheek said:
Above average speed is like a day every 10 seconds. A year would take one hour... sounds a bit slow.

It is. Depends on players but it allows you to keep tweaking spying, research and industry pretty much constantly. When war breaks out, it's necessary to slow it even further so you can keep running both the economy and the actual war. Unless you team up players for the major powers, which can work well - Player A for economy/research/espionage, Player B for Ostfront, Player C for everything else, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom