Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex approved MoO3 mods.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
As topic says, what mods you recommend for use with Master of Orion 3 ? A few people in other threads claimed that the game can be enjoyable if modded properly. MOO1 is one of my favourite games, MOO2 was a good game too. I'd like to try MOO3, any suggestions ?

Monocause

Arcane
First get the 1.25 patch and play for a while, to get a feel of the game. Maybe with the aforementioned encyclopedia mod to clear some things up (though you can alt-tab and check out a good guide on the internets with the same result).

Then go here http://www.moo3.at/mods/index.php?actio ... t&catid=17

and try one of the unofficial packages. I can recommend vanilla, haven't tried strawberry or tropical.

There's also a mod that disables espionage for the AI. Some hate espionage. I liked the fact that I have to take care of the oppressometer and choose my government wisely since dropping guard could mean throngs of spies wreaking havoc everywhere - but it's up to your preference.

If you have any strategy related questions or need something explained, feel free to ask. I've spent a shitload of time on that game and still probably don't know everything, but I'll sure be able to give many pointers.

Raapys

Arcane
I'd say go for one of the package solutions immediately.

The biggest problem with the game is the bugs, and alot of those are located in the game's executable. With the packages you get an aleady patched( with unofficial exe hacks ) executable which fixes tons of those problems, like enemy ships suddenly becoming invisible in combat and stuff like that.

I'd probably go for the Strawberry( http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/sh ... p?t=501381 ) version though, as it adds a few neat things compared to the Vanilla version. Haven't tried Tropical so much, as it seems to do a bit too many changes for my taste. Also, one of these mods is basically all you need( except for the official patch ), since they incorporate the best of the countless mods made throughout the years since release.

Destroid

Arcane
But is MoO3+Strawberry as good as MoO2? Seems like an awful lot of effort learning a new game if it is inferior to what has gone before.

Panthera

Scholar
For better or worse, there's nothing else in the 4X genre that's quite like Master of Orion 3. It's like the original game taken to an obsessive extreme. That in itself is admirable, and why I think it's worth at least trying.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Strawberry or Chocolate all the way. http://www.filefront.com/chocolatev0999 ... einfo.html

I'd recommend the latter. Until you research Colony Pod colonizing happens through automatic mechanisms. Think overpopulation and the capability of limited star travel.
UI fixed (except one bug), 1024x768,numero7us bugfixes etc.

But either you like Moo3 or you don't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom