Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization II is the best strategy and might be the best game of all time

catfood

AGAIN
No, but I don't think it's really need it since the game's graphics are very clean and easy to read. Once you play a few games you'll know how much resources each tile yields. Until then you can right click a tile to see its resources.

Blake00

Learned
Finally got some more dev diaries done. Not long now till the release of the Civ2 HoMM2 mod below and then the others after it.. 20+ years too late lol!

HoMM2 Dev Diary 08 - Custom Font Colours & Better Backgrounds For The Civ2 Heroes Of Might & Magic 2 Mod:
In this eighth dev diary we add custom font colours into Civ2 and completely overhaul all the ugly old GUI backgrounds.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/civilization-2-heroes-of-might-and-magic-2-mod/news/font-colours-better-backgrounds

HoMM2 Dev Diary 09 - New Azure Dragon, Neutral City & H1 Addon For The Civ2 Heroes Of Might & Magic 2 Mod:
In this ninth dev diary we replace Matt's dragon with a mighty HoMM3 Azure dragon, add a 7th neutral faction city, and do some preliminary work on a future HoMM1 addon.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/civilization-2-heroes-of-might-and-magic-2-mod/news/azure-dragon-neutral-city-h1-addon

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Eg. Zoomed out vanilla with terrain mod / MoM / HoMM / Fallout / Colonization / Star Trek / Star Wars

Any links for that Star Wars mod? Asking for uh... scientific purposes!

Can do! I've been working over the last year to collect/rescue/restore long lost scenarios for the Civ series (mostly Civ2 and Civ3) with a particular focus on franchises that I love so I've got links to 'all the things' lol. In fact I'll probably post a thread here soon about my scenario hunting as I'm noticing there's quite a few Civ fans lurking around this place who either A - may be able to help me find something cool, and B - might find something awesome in my lists they didn't know about.

Anyway that pic above was from Civ3 Star Wars The Mod Awakens. Super impressive! Only 2 years old too! There's a number of other cool SW Civ3 scenarios out there I can link you too however they are much older and 'planet based' instead of space based.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/star-wars-the-mod-awakens.631116/
I feel I haven't properly expressed my appreciation for this mod. It is a real gem, featuring a complete overhaul of the graphics and sounds, as well impressive use of various Civ III mechanics in order to recreate some interesting pre-Disney Star Wars Expanded Universe scenarios, such as the construction of devastating superweapons of various types, the hunt for the Katana Fleet (which will bolster the finder's military), or the search for the Star Forge (leading to having to rebuild the station over a selected planet).

The mod fetures a map of the Star Wars Galaxy, with pre-built towns filling the role of planets, with known major shipyards, ecumenopoli and seats of Imperial Oversectors being the powerhouses they rightfully should be. Hyperlanes (roads buildable only on very specific types of terrain) allow units to move relatively fast, while everywhere else they will be moving very, very slowly. It is the most Expanded Universe-friendly rendition of the Galaxy Far, Far Away I have ever seen in a strategy game.

The game is set roughly 5 years after the Battle of Endor, however some Imperial Warlords who have been confirmed defeated by then are still active, some who only carved out domains after the fall of the cloned Palpatine already rule them, and the Imperial Remnants aren't united under Grand Admiral Thrawn. Though his personal Remnant - the Empire of the Hand - is in my opinion the strongest, the reminder - meaning the Quelii Oversector, Greater Maldrood, Eriadu Authority, the Corporate Sector, Pertinoch's Dominion, and the Pentastar Alignment are no slouches either.

The New Republic retains a hold over the densely populated and extremely productive Core Worlds, having a fighting chance against all those odds, especially since the Imperial Warlords, much like in the Expanded Universe, fight amongst themselves. Just where are Admiral Daala and her nerve gas, when you need them?

The oddball factions include The First Order holed up mostly in the Unknown Regions of the galactic northwest together with another oddity - the Sorcerers of Rhand. There is also a resurgent Confederacy of Independent Systems ostensibly led by a clone of Dooku and centered around Geonosis, with the odd outpost here and there (mainly the famous Separatist fortress worlds). Lastly, the Mandalorians - led by a Boba Fett who hasn't lost his balls - again launch devastating crusades in the vicinity of their homeworld.

There is also a host of non-player minor factions, among which the largest is the Hutt Space. Other notable ones include the Dark Sun and the Pyke Syndicate openly controlling a handful of planets each, the Centrality, Naboo and Bothan Space, as well as the Chiss Ascendancy and the Sii-Ruuvi Imperium rounding out the Unknown Regions.

Once again thank you Blake00 for bringing this awesome mod to my attention.

Last edited:

Blake00

Learned
Wow.. yeah I'm gonna play the hell out of that mod one day, it's just huge, and their universe knowledge is epic.. Kobayashi's Star Wars Civ2 mod (below) was huge and had lots of cool content but yeah the Civ3 Star Wars mod is even bigger and better. I remember when I was testing the it I spent like half an hour looking at all the amazing Star Wars artwork and info in the 'Wookiepedia'. I just recently finished reading the Thrawn trilogy books so that's cool to hear expanded universe content from that like the Katana fleet is in the Civ3 mod too.

The old Civ2 mod:
sstarwarsins-png.600886

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom