Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization 5 getting a little Mongol DLC

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Update ]</strong>

The official <a href="http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/dlc_october" target="_blank"><strong>Civilization V</strong></a> site has news about some free and not so free DLC headed your way.
<blockquote>I am excited to announce that on October 25th you will all be able to get your hands on some new add-on content for Civilization V.

First up is the Babylonian Civilization Pack, which will allow you to play as Nebuchadnezzar II. You can now try your hand as King of Babylon for $4.99.

Also available will be the Mongols Civilization and Scenario Pack. This not only includes Genghis Khan as a fully playable new leader of the Mongols, but also a scenario in which you will be tasked with riding with Genghis Khan and his Mongol horsemen! This add-on pack costs exactly zero dollars. That's right, it's free to all customers of Civilization V!</blockquote>

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What a surprise! In the faction files on the DVD there already was a left over audio file for the Mongol description. There also is a reference to the Three Gorges Dam wonder, meaning that the Chinese are not far off from being a DLC.

L'ennui

Magister
Aren't the Chinese already in?

In any case... UNITE THE CLANS!!! FOR THE HORDE!!! etc. etc. etc.

Nice to get it for free.

I'll still wait for expansions before spending much more time on the game, though. The gameplay is really at a strict minimum in terms of content, although the framework is in place for a very solid Civ experience further down the road.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This better not count as one of the two free Civs I should get for pre-ordering from D2D...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
L'ennui said:
Aren't the Chinese already in?

Oops you're right. I guess that means that there will be another set of 'wonders' released then, non-race specific.

Only spent a few minutes with the game so didn't pay all that much attention to the Civs....nothing much to see anyway as they are just re-skinned versions of the one faction with a particular AI preset.

That's what always shitted me with Civ: no inherent variety between the factions.

jason said:
First up is the Babylonian Civilization Pack, which will allow you to play as Nebuchadnezzar II. You can now try your hand as King of Babylon for $4.99.

5 USD for a Civ in a civs game, is this shit for real? So far in the series the difference between them has been either none or close to it, really really minor things in 3 and 4 like a unique unit or two.
Gee my workers can spout lines in babylonian now, totally worth 5 dollars!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Merkwürdigliebe said:
jason said:

5 USD for a Civ in a civs game, is this shit for real? So far in the series the difference between them has been either none or close to it, really really minor things in 3 and 4 like a unique unit or two.
Gee my workers can spout lines in babylonian now, totally worth 5 dollars!

Exactly. I know it's easier in a Space 4X to make varied 'civilizations' but really if you are making an abstract, conquer the world style game with all manner of random civs from history then making them all stand out more shouldn't be an issue. Nevermind charging money for something a modder can basically rattle off pretty quickly. The little 4X game Armada 2526 just released a new civ for free in it's latest patch in comparison.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not only should this (and Babylon) civ be in the game from the start but its completely pointless too. Oh gee, sure is good they are releasing good DLCs.

Also its quite obvious that the game was released in an unfinished state. Will they fix it? Only time can tell. But I am not going to pay for this shit.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
commie said:
Malakal said:
released in an unfinished state.

No Polish master race led by Lech Walesa/Kaczynski and no Hussars and Tu-154's as special units = FAIL.

I meant bugs, memory leaks and other issues and shallow gameplay but if You NEED to know Polish master civilization should be led by either Casmir the Great or Sigismund the Old/Wladislav the Fourth with Winged Hussars (hussar=/=winged hussar noob) and sejm replacing courthouse.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Malakal said:
commie said:
Malakal said:

No Polish master race led by Lech Walesa/Kaczynski and no Hussars and Tu-154's as special units = FAIL.

I meant bugs, memory leaks and other issues and shallow gameplay but if You NEED to know Polish master civilization should be led by either Casmir the Great or Sigismund the Old/Wladislav the Fourth with Winged Hussars (hussar=/=winged hussar noob) and sejm replacing courthouse.

Hey I know what you're saying, just was reminded of the rating in Civ 4(can't remember earlier ones) where one of the leaders you could be compared to was Lech Walesa which was pretty ridiculous. Oh and I've known of Winged Hussars since my PRL school days back in 1982 so take your butthurt elsewhere. Oh and Boleslaw Chrobry was a better king than the ones you mentioned, seeing as he really created and fought for tooth and nail to really establish a nation that would be strong enough to survive all subsequent upheavals.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fuck them. I demand a free patch. A software fix to rebalance the goddamn game before they attempt to squeeze anymore cash from the fanbase.

What's the point of playing Mongoloids when Greeks do fine rushing shit with their nigh-invincible Cavalry in Classic Era?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
MetalCraze said:
$5 for re-coloured unit models and a few animated videos of another ruler

Why sounds like a steal

Even the animations seem crappier than in Civ 4. Nebuchawhaddever barely moves..(yeah I saw this already in the TPB Deluxe version).

chzr

Erudite
what did you expect, it's fucking 2k games, they sell stripped games in 'hardly worth playing' state just to sell shitloads of dlcs.

kris

Arcane
Malakal said:
commie said:
Malakal said:

Their special ability could be "Partition", were in a peace settlement they can give territory to several countries.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Higher Game said:
Elwro said:
That's right, I also have the impression that Civ IV was better looking...

It's also a better game. :smug:
I agree; but we'll see what can be done with CiV with patches and mods :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom