Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character creation

Rakanishu

Novice
Im looking for a thread discussing a character creation system that would be a mini rpg in itself,Like the questionary inthe jagged alliance games but much more intricated with phases of gameplay were you could meet npc and do quests that influence you're future class and skills,you would have to choose you're parents and that would affect you're appearence,what you would discover after choosing you're parents is they're profession wich would determine you're starting gear and influance you're starting class and skills
You could choose you're starting location with even the choice to be a savage raised by the wolfs or whatever creature;so i'll stop developing cause with the luck I have for my first thread there's probably already a thread discussing this but i'm out of keywords for the search engine

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dunno about a thread, but the game Dusk of the Gods (I think from 1992) had some character creation similar to this.
It's abandonware ,try it.

Rakanishu

Novice
thanks I ll go directly to http://www.abandonia.com/ to download it,never played it. Hope i'll get hooked.
I just realized that saying "I'll go dirctly to http://www.abandonia.com/ " is like making an advertisement to http://www.abandonia.com/ .
I guess it's a bad thing to do?

edit
I just tryed dusk of the gods ;the thing I dislike is that even when thinking and doing nothing the time passes so you have to rush like a madmen
Well the idea is there but not developped at all,it's just point a location and click yes if you wan't to spend time studying worshiping or fighting depending of the location or no.
Is the game fun to dig further and play

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not quite what you're looking for but tangentially related enough that I'll weigh in with Phantasy Star 3's 'generational' game play. You really never had much control other than picking who the current protagonist was going to marry and even then you only had the choice of two people. However, it did result in different characters and a somewhat different questline depending on what you choose. I always thought that was an interesting mechanic and wondered if something similar was used in other games.

oldschool

Scholar
Rakanishu said:
...you would have to choose you're parents and that would affect you're appearence,what you would discover after choosing you're parents is they're profession wich would determine you're starting gear and influance you're starting class and skills...

Mount and Blade does this somewhat. The questions you answer during character creation determine your starting stats, skills, and gear. That is as far as it goes, though. There are no classes and there isn't much character development beyond picking new stats and skills for the rest of the game.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
In Twilight 2000 and Megatraveller the character takes one or more tours of duty at different destinations, which give different skill and material bonus. It's one of my favourite character creation systems and would love to see it even more developed, with ties to the setting, such as different paths for different nationalities / cultures / races.

I seem to remember Darklands having something similar too, but I'm not sure.

Rakanishu

Novice
woot there's not a thread on that already so we can start to develop.
So first you choose you're universe then you're planet,then you're timeline
all this generates a set of possibles parents to choose from ... lol
Now that this has been said we can start to say realistic and doable things

Another feature I would like Is a randomized open world ,the engine would have variables like rich city then access to food materials and so on;monsters nearby then consequences like the village is poor and offering sacrifices or heavilly defended,on the brink of destruction with lots of abandonned people gone elsewere or eaten and so on. That of course would generate quests...I begining to think this would certainly be an hack an slash and I don't see too well how the quests could be generated without loosing in diversity,could that kind of world were monsters and people travel and gather and build things be doable?Perhaps the quest would be only in the player head without them being writen you would do thing for your own satisfaction ; like there a shortage of food somewere then you could buy a carriage and bring some food for free sheap orat extremly high prices.
If such an engine existed a cool thing would be that you could spawn mutliples generetions of your first avatar, you could even choose to do nothing or train or make a magic item that takes years to do and see the world and it's inabitants change
.... hrmmm I know I'm a dreamer; I'm not excpecting it to come out in my lifetime tough.

.../thincking
Well in fact I suddenly feel the urge to replay Space Rangers 2 again there were some of theses features on it.Anyone knows what the give money to the widows and orphans of dead rangers was doing gameplay wise?
edit/ I also saw ,a while ago, something posted about a post apoc game that has some features like that too http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?rw ... sbit=10800

Metro said:
Not quite what you're looking for but tangentially related enough that I'll weigh in with Phantasy Star 3's 'generational' game play. You really never had much control other than picking who the current protagonist was going to marry and even then you only had the choice of two people. However, it did result in different characters and a somewhat different questline depending on what you choose. I always thought that was an interesting mechanic and wondered if something similar was used in other games.

there's this one, I think. You start with a guy, have a kid, and continue playing as him.

bhlaab

Erudite
Isn't this sort of what Planescape Torment tried to do? You know, the bits where your character is generated by your actions in the game instead of a pre-game character creator.
I thought it ironically made things much more complicated than they would have been had the game started with the regular stats n' spreadsheets

zenbitz

Scholar
There are a bunch (well, a few) of PnP RPGs which had little tables and charts to fill out your origin. Actually I just picked up a copy of 1st Ed. Runequest which has *SOMETHING* similar... Traveller is the first example that springs to mine... you could be in the Army/Navy/Scouts until you were 70! (and you pretty much had to be if you wanted to muster out with a ship).

Are you looking for a cRPG to play or are you working on one?

Rakanishu

Novice
Are you looking for a cRPG to play or are you working on one?
I just dream of having the capabilities to create an indie game ,so I know it doesn't exist but I'm looking for one,tough I was just proposing the thread as an idea to discuss

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom