Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Change Is Inherently Scary But Everything Will Be Fine

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DA2firstscreens02.jpg

Cloud sword FTW!!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Roguey said:
David Gaider's favorite games include Ultima IV, Darklands, Realms of Arkania, Temple of Elemental Evil, and X-Com. His soullessness is part of why I find him so endearing.

...How the fuck? Almost none of those games are anything like Bioware games, especially in terms of (lack of) linear story emphasis. Instead, many focus on well balanced and HARD tactical combat, which again Bioware really doesn't prioritize.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I want to add early Shiny to that list of devs who produced games for the fun of it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You guys are forgetting that Gaider is NOT BIO. He's an employee of BIO. he does what the bosses tell him to do just like any other employee does. Dumbasses.

It's like getting mad at the cook in the kitchen because they cook a certain way as they were told to by the boss even if they cook it differently at home. Dumbnutz.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
As far as we know, Gaider actually believes that he's part of a team making masterpieces enjoyed by millions that will go down in gaming history if not cultural history itself.

It's one thing to be "crowd member #23" in an Uwe Boll movie, it's another thing to be Uwe Bolls screenwriter.

mondblut

Arcane
Mangoose said:
...How the fuck? Almost none of those games are anything like Bioware games, especially in terms of (lack of) linear story emphasis. Instead, many focus on well balanced and HARD tactical combat, which again Bioware really doesn't prioritize.

The makers of soap operas like better and more sophisticated stuff themselves too. They just have to make their living by spoonfeeding vilest shit into the drooling maws of subhuman maggots, that's all.

The reason I find Molineux so morbidly fascinating - like a hysterically giggling legless cripple repeatedly sodomizing himself with his own severed extremity then licking it clean - is that he seems to genuinely love his own games and the auditory he produces them for. Everyone in the industry has got to pretend to, but he actually seems sincere. That's so revolting you want to throw up, yet can't turn away your eyes. Mesmerizing really.

ironyuri

mondblut said:
Mangoose said:

The makers of soap operas like better and more sophisticated stuff themselves too. They just have to make their living by spoonfeeding vilest shit into the drooling maws of subhuman maggots, that's all.

The reason I find Molineux so morbidly fascinating - like a hysterically giggling legless cripple repeatedly sodomizing himself with his own severed extremity then licking it clean - is that he seems to genuinely love his own games and the auditory he produces them for. Everyone in the industry has got to pretend to, but he actually seems sincere. That's so revolting you want to throw up, yet can't turn away your eyes. Mesmerizing really.

If we fed Molyneux enough valium I'm sure we could remove his legs and make that scenario a reality. What do you say?

Also: Bioware's games have never been that sophisticated, this just continues a trend.

I think the idea is, at least for people like David Gaider, that they'll make a few high selling games that are by all standards mediocre and with the money that they put together they will one day be able to release the magnum opus for which money will be no object. The reality however is that because AAA titles are so costly and they continue to pump funds into these projects (designing new engines when engine technology could make 2-3 titles before being discarded), the projects become a money sink and the magnum opus will never appear. Like Sisyphus they're rolling the boulder up hill and their only consolation is to find happiness in doing it, because they know it'll never stay in place once it reaches the top.

Azarkon

Arcane
Change is inherently scary but everything will be fine.

The previous generation of gamers will grow old, lose interest, and fade away. The current generation of gamers will appreciate what they grew up with, until such a time as their own tastes become old-school, nostalgic, and then obsolete. They will, in their own turn, bemoan the state of the industry, and a new Codex will be born to lament the fact that they don't make games like Mass Effect 2 or Oblivion anymore. Perhaps a small indie renaissance will even appear, seeking to bridge the old and the new, before realizing that the subculture they are trying to relciam has long since ceased to be a living tradition. And so the cycle will repeat.

Norfleet

Azarkon said:
The previous generation of gamers will grow old, lose interest, and fade away.
I don't really believe this actually happens, since there really isn't much else to do anymore. I mean, what would they do instead? Go OUTSIDE? Inhale the stench of the air pollution? Be serious. Everything else that is fun nowadays is illegal. So like a dog to its food, they always come back.

Quilty

Magister
How the fuck can anyone get excited about a Bioware story? They've never written anything that wasn't a cliche-ridden mess or just a mediocre blandfest like DA:O.

This faggotry makes me rage.

:x

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Quilty said:
How the fuck can anyone get excited about a Bioware story? They've never written anything that wasn't a cliche-ridden mess or just a mediocre blandfest like DA:O.

The game industry has low standards.

kanenas

Educated
Quilty said:

By mid 90s cRPG story standards Baldurs Gate was an incline

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Azarkon said:

The previous generation of gamers will grow old, lose interest, and fade away. The current generation of gamers will appreciate what they grew up with, until such a time as their own tastes become old-school, nostalgic, and then obsolete. They will, in their own turn, bemoan the state of the industry, and a new Codex will be born to lament the fact that they don't make games like Mass Effect 2 or Oblivion anymore. Perhaps a small indie renaissance will even appear, seeking to bridge the old and the new, before realizing that the subculture they are trying to relciam has long since ceased to be a living tradition. And so the cycle will repeat.
I don't think so. Contrary to naive popular beliefs history very rarely turns in full circles. The "current generation" is different than the "Codex generation", the games are different, the game industry is different.
An alternative vision: Most of "current generation" are not hardcore RPG geeks raised on games of the 80s and early 90s, This generation wont give a shit, they will move on because they dont have their own taste. Today they like Dragon Age, tomorrow they will like anything the industry will tell them to like. There won't be any new Codex to lament about the greatness of old and classic CRPGs like Oblivion or Mass Effect, i'm afraid.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Serus said:
Azarkon said:

I don't think so. Contrary to naive popular beliefs history very rarely turns in full circles. The "current generation" is different than the "Codex generation", the games are different, the game industry is different.
An alternative vision: Most of "current generation" are not hardcore RPG geeks raised on games of the 80s and early 90s, This generation wont give a shit, they will move on because they dont have their own taste. Today they like Dragon Age, tomorrow they will like anything the industry will tell them to like. There won't be any new Codex to lament about the greatness of old and classic CRPGs like Oblivion or Mass Effect, i'm afraid.

Watch how many people on the bioware forums are whining about DA2.
How many people bitch around because ME2 became a shooter.
And if Bethesda announces a new TES, people will rise claiming that Oblivion is waaaay better than the new one.

There are always hardcore-fans, to everygame, in every generation.

Though the passing of ages may bleach our bones, for so long as the games of men decline, you will find the Codex. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom