Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can anyone confirm whether Dungeon Keeper 2 works on XP?

Nedrah

Erudite
Erm... well, yes, you might get lucky.

However, issues with sound playback and gamespeed issues are not exactly unknown.

Dmitron

Arbiter
I'm running XPsp2. Never had a problem on multiple machines over the years. We LAN it occasionally without any problems either.

Section8

Cipher
I had issues with the copy protection there first time I tried to get it going under XP, but it was nothing a NoCD didn't fix.

Nedrah

Erudite
Strange, I never really got the game to run all that good, that's on xp sp2, too. I had stuttering sounds, no video playback and general speed issues during the game. That's fully patched, too. Guess I'll try that again on my new machine, might be an issue with that Pentium M and its dynamic speed switching.

miles foreman

Scholar
On a related note, does anyone know how to run this game windowed? The stretching on a widescreen display kind of bothers me.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Nedrah said:
Strange, I never really got the game to run all that good, that's on xp sp2, too. I had stuttering sounds, ... during the game. That's fully patched, too. Guess I'll try that again on my new machine, might be an issue with that Pentium M and its dynamic speed switching.
ditto, I guess we're cursed. It's not a Pentium thing because I've run it on AMD. EA strikes again with another unsupported product!

Otingocni

Novice
I have run Dungeon Keeper 2 just fine on a Pentium M with XP, so I do not think that is the problem. Have you tried the obvious things, such as program compatibility settings?

Miles, have you checked your computers display options? Sometimes, depending on your configuration, you can disable stretching the image to fit your monitor, so it will play in the games regular resolution with black bars along the sides.

By the way, five seconds of Googling brought up this link: Fix for Dungeon Keeper II on Windows XP, something you might want to try.

Nedrah

Erudite
Thank you Otingocni.
Unfortunately I had already tried all those things. The game just seems to be picky about some certain part of systems that I'm not aware of. Shame about those cutscenes, too.

Au naturel

Scholar
Yeah, it is doing the dance of death with me too. I think I will get my old project up and running as there have been too many older games I want to play and DosBox/Compatibility modes have been letting me down.

I have an older rig I have mostly set up with a partitioned hard drive that runs win 98 and dos. Also has Roland sound compatibility as well. Just needs to have a keyboard, mouse and a graphics card thrown in. Think I might go with a Geforce 2 64mb and use moslo.

Thanks for the replies.

Dmitron

Arbiter
It runs very well at 1920 x 1200. Only minor prob is the text disappears in the options menus. :)

Nedrah

Erudite
Can someone provide a screenshot of dungeonkeeper2 at those resolutions? I would assume those imps look ... really really small?

Dmitron

Arbiter
Nope, the picture is just wider. Exciting screenshot.

Slight fisheye towards the centre of the image from the increased field of view.

Still looks pretty good for a 9 year old game. Damn good actually, considering how quickly threedee ages.

Dagon

Scholar
I prefer DK1 over the second one and it works perfectly well on Windows XP.
So all I can say is play Dungeon Keeper 1 which works OK ;) and DK2 is gay ;)

Dagon

Scholar
Better atmosphere, music, monsters have personality and the game is just much better. There is also a lot of dark humor, the one from DK2 seemed a bit childish to me ;).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom