Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BROS SPACE RANGER 2

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS TOTALLY NONPOPAMOLE IN THE MOST UNPOPAMIILE WAY POSSIBLE

SO FAR I DONT KNOW ANY EXPLOITS OR SHIT BUT IT SEEMS LIKE A BIT OF WORK TO PROGRESS TO REALLY KICKING ASS

BROS IF ANYTHING IS A NEXTGEN STARFLIGHT OR STAR CONTROK2 THIS IS IT

I AM ALMOST TOO DECLINED TO TAKE ON THIS SHIT LOLLOLLOL BUT IT IS FUN

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
One of the best games ever in my opinion. Be sure to get the reboot edition that has more stuff in it.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I BOUGHT WHATEVER WAS ON GOG

IS IT JUST ME OR IT IS A SLOW ASS START I CANT EVENT THINK OF FIGHTING A PIRATE SHIP AND I DONT SEE COOL ENOUGH SHIT ANYWHERE TO BUY JUST GRADUALLY UPGRADING ENGINES AND FUELS SO THE MISSIONS DONT TAKE FOREVER

- Abuse the scanner thing when you are docked that lets you look at the galaxy-wide best trade runs. Most of the time (all of the time once you get a decent bank account) you will be trading luxuries because they cost the most and your spacecraft's storage space is the limit.

- Abuse aforementioned scanner to find the best components. Always buy the smallest stuff you can find, you want free space to pick shit up or just because carrying smaller components makes you go faster. Space is always at a premium, and selling or putting in storage half your unneeded starting crap isn't a bad idea if you make more money from the early trades.

- Sell any dominator parts you find at research centers for huge $$$

- Do every text quest you can find. Most of them are awesome, though plenty have translations that are hard to follow at times. If you have the stomach for it, the RTS battles also pay ridiculously well since it scales based on game time.

The starts vary quite a bit in how good your equipment is. Most important is how large your spacecraft hull is, because you won't be able to upgrade that for long time. IIRC, the better starts had 400 space hulls or thereabouts. I like to go with engines and missile launchers . Missile launchers = imba early game, just stay out of range and spam. Needs to be reloaded constantly, but its tons cheaper and safer then actually dogfighting.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
Overweight Manatee said:
If you have the stomach for it, the RTS battles also pay ridiculously well since it scales based on game time.

And if you don't you can always cheese through them by giving your units those missile arms, going in to first person and killing the AI from a long distance so it doesn't shoot you.

Dr.Faust said:
Overweight Manatee said:
If you have the stomach for it, the RTS battles also pay ridiculously well since it scales based on game time.

And if you don't you can always cheese through them by giving your units those missile arms, going in to first person and killing the AI from a long distance so it doesn't shoot you.

Thats not cheese. Some of them are still hard even with that.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS COOL LINK I READ A LITTLE MIGHT STOP THOUGH

GOOD TO KNOW I AM NOT RETARTED AND THE GAME IS A LITTLE HARD IT IS PRETTY COOL RUNNING LIKE A LITTLE BITCH NOW WHEN I AM A BADDASS I WILL BE SO HAPPY

BROS THIS IS ONE OF THE POSITIVES OF THIS FORUM IF IT WASNT FOR TRUE BROS HERE I WOULD HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS GAME BUT THERE ARE SOME INTELLIGENT PEOPLE HERE WHO GAVE GOOD OPINIONS

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dumb game for kidz, only saving grace is the poorly translated text games go console yourself with counterstrike consoletards trolololo real mature gamers play starflight u nub

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
:love:

Overweight Manatee said:
Dr.Faust said:
Overweight Manatee said:

Thats not cheese. Some of them are still hard even with that.

That fucking island one. I can beat every other RTS quest in the game without that much difficulty, but it won't let you progress beyond that one until you win it... to my eternal shame, I eventually just used a trainer.

Oh fuck you people, now there's another lengthy game I have to play through. Even without a job it's getting hard to find time for this.
P.S. should I go straight for "Reboot" version? Is it the same as original plus more content? Or is it a different game?

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's the same game with new content incl. quests but the new items (they have orange names) are balance breaking.

AI can't use them, only player - and they are the best ones in the game. Certainly you have a choice not to buy them (which is kinda silly) - but if you will buy them it will make you have the Unbeatable Ship of Doom very quickly and thus you will be able to clean whole dominator sectors with just ~2 landings for repairs let alone killing any other normal attacker.

Thanks. Well if it's really such a hard game, a guy like me who isn't really experienced in strategy games could use some overpowered items I guess.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trust me you won't need them. By the time you will get to them you will know how to play. It isn't really a strategy game, it's a mix of everything.

Just remember - when you feel like you won't be able to win the battle - retreat. AIs do the same (because they don't spawn out of nowhere upon you entering the sector like in f.e. Freelancer - they always exist in the world, doing things so they want to live too). Surviving is all about knowing which trouble you are able to handle.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
Also don't make the Dominator AI too stupid. Otherwise the great conflict will be over before you can even take part in it.

Heresiarch

Prophet
SR2 is fucking awesome.

Yeah, don't use the orange named items. At my playthrough with Reboot, I used them because I didn't notice only ME is the only one using them. And yeah, they're pretty overpowered - they provide MASSIVE bonuses while cost hardly more than regular stuff.

The game's difficulty is very well balanced, if you don't use the orange items. Even at normal difficulty, at late game with all your uber equipment you still can get blow up in space easily if you go all gung-ho alone. You must use your weapons' range, area of effect, your afterburners, artifacts carefully, and manuever alot to survive.

I really really like how the whole universe seems so much alive. NPC ships come and go with the game tracking EVERYONE of them. Every text quests have TONS of flavour, and even those RTS battles have some background stories to explain what you're fighting for or where you're fighting on.

Raapys

Arcane
Love the game, but I would have liked if they didn't actually make the hardest Dominator difficulty(very hard?) unbeatable.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THIS GAME HAS ME ENTRANCED LIKE FEW OTHERS LOTS OF FUN FUCK I PLAYED SIX HOURS STRAIGHT TODAY

Yeah, it's a fantastic game. Incredibly unique, too. I guess it's kind of like Pirates! but with more awesome. I also discovered this game thanks to the Codex. Say what you will about the Codex... they do like some good games.

Xi

Arcane
Fantastic game! Very accessible while retaining all of the depth and complexity. Other developers should take note. These guys get it! Also, King's Bounty and it's expansions are also fantastic.
:love:

FleetFeet

Novice
Fuck the Gaalian laws on smuggling. Fuck them in the face

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom